November 7th, 2011

2 Penn state officials tied to Sandusky sex abuse case step down

Two Penn State university officials who are accused of misleading a grand jury in their investigation into child sexual abuse allegations against former coach Jerry Sandusky have stepped down, the university said early Monday morning.

Penn State Athletic Director Timothy Curley, 57, and Gary Schultz, 62, the university's senior vice president for finance and business, face charges of one count of perjury each.

They stepped down late Sunday after an emergency meeting of the university's board of trustees.

Curley and Schultz "allegedly failed to report the sexual assault of a young boy after the information was brought to their attention, and later made false statements to a grand jury that was investigating a series of assaults on young boys," Pennsylvania Attorney General Linda Kelly said over the weekend.

Earlier, Penn State President Graham Spanier said Curley and Schultz have his "unconditional support."

"I have complete confidence in how they have handled the allegations about a former University employee," he said, adding that the charges are "groundless."

Curley requested to be placed on administrative leave so he could devote time needed to defend himself, the university said Monday. Schultz will go into retirement, it said.

The man at the center of the case is former assistant football coach Sandusky, 67, who served 23 years as defensive coordinator for the Nittany Lions,

Sandusky allegedly engaged in fondling, oral sex and anal sex with young boys over a period of more than 10 years, according to an investigative grand jury's summary of testimony.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: College football • Jerry Sandusky • Joe Paterno • Penn State • U.S.
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Philip,
    Please add these items into your consideration:
    When I was the age at which you set a mile record, my "inner child" was so terrified that he reacted to everything with asthma and an oversized heart. My freshman year at college, a state-champion runner saw me running, late to class, and told me I was a born runner. The next morning, he took me to the track. I ran half the distance of one lap and had asthma. He said, "let's go back to the dorm," and that was over.
    Only when I got to NYC, at 22, was I able to get into a gym and start being athletic, far away from the ax my inner little boy kept in his closet and the (Boy Scout!) hatchet he kept under the mattress in case Daddy tried to kill him and everybody else.
    cont.

November 7, 2011 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

I truly wish you could be my Cyrano, JIF.
    Maybe then the old scag would actually *read* instead of just *write*.

November 7, 2011 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

I left details about what I have done to volunteer, P, on the conception blog.
    Please read, and respond.
    I have a feeling that, true to my expectations, you won't.

November 7, 2011 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
  4. Philip

About 'Philip' (me) I have been recovering from the emotional, spiritual, physical, and molestual abuses heaped upon me for over 15 years. It took me over a year of drug-free counceling just to get over my desire to track these men down and mete-out my own brand of Justice...not just upon them, but upon the dozens of those whom sheltered them and enabled them. I learned that these men and the women whom enabled them were just like me when they were youngsters...people who were raised by dysfunctional adults. I still goto their graves and place flowers and cry for them, begging that they be forgiven for what they did. This anger you see coming from me is NOT directed towords my abusers, Joey...anger is expressed hurt...and it hurts me when older men who get caught rayeping younger men never see Justice, and virtually everyone looks the other way now, even our Supreme Court. These sorts of men should be in prison. Do we call a man convicted of raypeing an 18 yr. old female an "pediofile" or an child-molester?

November 7, 2011 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Medici

Yes, and they are required by law to register with their state's s#x offender registry. I have seen this many times.

November 7, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Philip:
    Our posts crossed in the mail.
    OK. I won't focus on you.
    Ask me if you ever want to do so.
    Regarding these court cases and financial settlements of accusations, I don't know the details (facts) and therefore cannot comment on them. They are not important enough to my life to merit research.
    Regarding "sodomy," I can tell you that I find it a laughable word.
    I have no reason to believe that the Biblical account of Sodom is factual, and if you show me a pillar of salt, you'll have to convince me with DNA that is the wife of anybody at all–except possibly an easily excitable modern lad.

November 7, 2011 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
  6. Philip

And just as I predicted, here comes an old hag. ttl, Joey. hagd. 🙂

November 7, 2011 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ banasy:
    Good morning.

November 7, 2011 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Philip:
    I would never pray for forgiveness for my abusers, even if I believed in a deity.
    I do not forgive them. I separated myself from them.
    If I went to their graves, it would be to spit.

November 7, 2011 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  9. WOT

Vic- s of child abuse keep silent not because of fear but because of rid of others. I know because I was a case in point.

November 7, 2011 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
  10. michaelfury

November 7, 2011 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  11. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

What does "rid" mean? "Ridicule?"
    I didn't think that anybody would believe me. That is why I didn't go to the sheriff.
    I thought that I would be punished by my parents and probably by town authorities.

November 7, 2011 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jean

Gary Schultz child care center? I wonder what kind of care the children receive?

Dear CNN:
    Please check into the fact that Gary Schultz, one of the "I didn't have to tell" just had the PSU child care facility named after him. Would you leave your child there for a day?

November 7, 2011 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  13. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Philip:
    Just to state my opinion regarding my own abuse:
    If you had meted out your own brand of justice on your abusers and their abettors, I think that the only wrong (immoral) thing about it would have been that it would have also hurt YOU.
    Our senses of morality are very different.
    If I had, after the age of about twelve, had the courage to kill my father in Mississippi, I might have been electrocuted or gassed, considering the mentality common there, although possibly not: I was white.
    I wonder how they'll vote tomorrow on that personhood amendment in Mississippi.
    I'm sure that they're praying on it.
    Love grits.

November 7, 2011 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  14. @Joey

Just for your info, back in the ancient days of Israel, God's laws required that a man whom rayeped another man's wife be tracked-down and killed by the victim's family Avenger...usually the womans husband, but any male family member could be the assigned Avenger. The only escape for the rayepists was to flee to one of Israel's 'Cities of refuge' for 7 years, and only then could he return to his home and seek forgiveness. These laws also applied to anyone who even accidentally bumped into an pregnant woman who then miscarried...so precious was life back then. Now, you can be murdered for the Nike shoes you are wearing or you can legally kill that life growing inside of you. The American sense of Justice makes no sense. We even call gay men who raype 17 yr. old's "molesters" rather than rayepists! And if you even say anything about their lusts for for bungholes of 17 yr. olds, you get labled "homyophobic"!

November 7, 2011 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Medici

It is understood that molesters are rapyists. I've never had a doubt. Or more to the point, we call them baby raypists.

November 7, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Medici

Ummm, not exactly....but if someone says that all gay men are pedohile raypists, you might be. There's a difference.

November 7, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  15. banasy©

@JIF:
    Good morning.
    You're talking to the wall.
    Funny how he can just drop his ideas and run, without reading.
    It is maddening.

He won't answer.
    He never does.
    He may call me a hag all he likes; but I stick around to reply, at least.

November 7, 2011 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |