November 8th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: 'Personhood’ measure stirs heated debate

Comment of the morning:

“Wouldn't creating a life through in vitro fertilization be ‘pro-life?' ” - centrisright

Mississippi amendment taking heat

Voters in Mississippi on Tuesday will face one of the most controversial measures on ballots nationwide. Mississippians will vote on whether to amend the state constitution to define life as beginning at conception, which would eliminate abortion, including in the cases of rape and incest. Initiative 26 would define "personhood" as "every human being from the moment of fertilization, cloning or the functional equivalent thereof." The measure would also outlaw certain forms of birth control and the destruction of embryos in laboratories, putting in vitro fertilization procedures in question because of the resulting unused fertilized eggs.

CNN.com readers were largely against the measure.

EurekaJim said, “Yup. The party of ‘less government" except when they want the government to do something they want it to do.”

ovipconsult said, “Mississippi being the poorest (or at least one of the poorest states) with one of the highest unemployment rate in the country, and many still live in poverty ... and abortion is what they really care about? My goodness. Politicians should just go hide in the cave. Judges ...  should just be removed if they want to control women's productive organs.”

BubbaJ said, “Eliminating abortion, Social Security and Medicare are their primary goals. They have become the party of ‘100% support for life ... when it's a fetus. Once it's out, it's on its own."

1alicia1 said, “Have you read recently the world population count? Enough already. How about giving out condoms on the street corner in every town?”

bobthemoose said, “This bill would not force anyone into a lifetime of unwanted motherhood. In all 50 states in the union it is perfectly legal for a woman to give up custody of a newborn to the state with no further responsibility on the part of the woman, and legal mechanisms in place to prevent them from being tracked down at a later date.”

sam0326 said, “I'm shocked that an obstetrician would support this amendment. What happens in the case of ectopic pregnancies, when allowing the egg to develop will kill the mother and there is no chance of the egg developing into a viable fetus? How about other cases when the mother's life is (in) danger? Cancer during pregnancy occurs in 1/1,000 pregnancies. Are those woman expected to forgo treatment to prevent killing an embryo? Most people don't realize the implications of this amendment; voting for religious and emotional reasons instead of evidence and understanding is dangerous.”

Darkwolf57 responded, “There is also the fact that 1/2 to 3/4 of all ‘persons’ (actually ‘concepti’) are aborted spontaneously. If ‘personhood’ does indeed begin at conception, then God himself is a mass murderer, according to this amendment. This, to me, is likely the most asinine measure to ever come before the voters."

salvat said, “My daughters were born via IVF. I dare you to tell me that my wife and I were wrong to go through the procedure to have our daughters. If my government tells me I cannot have children or I was wrong to have children the way I did, it will cease to be my government."

ChipsHandon said, “Government's main responsibility in forming legislation is to protect the safety and well-being of its citizens. What is being legislated is when citizenship begins for unborn humans. I think we can all agree that if you push your wife down the stairs on her way to go give birth, you are committing murder, not abortion, since the child was 100% ready to enter this world. Enter the gray area between conception and birth where life, citizenship, and jurisdiction under our laws become vague. Clearly, if an unborn child is ready to live outside of the womb, to kill it is to take a life; however, when does a pregnancy cross that threshold? This is the debate. When does abortion become murder?”

Do you feel your views align with those of these commenters? Post a comment below or sound off on video.

1. Black Beauty

@ Banasy, will you do the very same thing your asking everyone here?
    And I say it's murder!
    I also say that if you do, be prepared for the consequences.
    This is just FACT and a warning, Jesus will be Judging people for the SHOT of EVERLASTING LIFE!
    Just a FACT.

November 8, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leaf on the Wind

Black Beauty, one person's "fact" is another person's "fantasy." Believe what you like, but don't scold others for not sharing your beliefs. Shame on you.

November 8, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

Black Beauty,

A FACT is proveable. Yours is therefore not a fact, but an OPINION. Get a dictionary.

November 8, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

@Black Beauty:
    I believe I just did.
    I'll start with *you*,
    Answer, please.
    But, you won"t.
    Not if you are who I think you are.

November 8, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Black Beauty

@ Leaf on the Wind, I stated a FACT, are you saying you don't believe in God? if so that would explain you idiiotic statement.
    I'm stating facts, yet I can't force others to obey God's laws, got me?

November 8, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Black Beauty

I would NOT! why would I, it is the persons responsibility who laid down in her own sin.

November 8, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Black Beauty

Btw banasy, why is abortion NOT for you? very interested in that answer!

November 8, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

@Black Beauty:
    I'm sorry, I misread your post.
    I'm all for *choice* remember?
    I would never try to force *my* choice upon someone else; but that's what *you* want to do, so answer the question.
    I find all of the pro-lifers want to save the fetus, but could care less about the child after the child is born.
    What is the answer?

November 8, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Black Beauty

Then let these people who want to abort these HUMANS bring the baby to FULL term and put them up for adoption? answer that!
    and I did answer you, open your eyes.

November 8, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

If taking the baby to full term can KILL the mother (like an 11-year-old r@pe victim), your idea is NONSENSE.

November 8, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Black Beauty

@ Observer, there has been cases of 11 yr olds giving birth. If the girl is in FACT in danger I would have to defer you to a person who has a vast knowledge of the bible as I am not. Are we going to get into specifics now?

November 8, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

Black Beauty,

Let me ask you. If you had a frail 11-year-old daughter who had been r@ped and neeed an abortion to save her life, would you do it?

November 8, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Black Beauty

Btw Observer , you'll know it's fact when Jesus is breathing in your FACE so hard cause he has to judge you. you IDIOT

November 8, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

Speaking of idiots, you do know that Jesus would NEVER have called someone a name like you did. Just more HYPOCRISY by a Christian.

If you did read the Bible, you'd know that it never mentions abortion and actually offers more to support abortion than to oppose it. You might try reading it for a change and skip the HYPOCRISY.

November 8, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Black Beauty

Observer is that ALL you can do is point out SPECIFICS to try a ROPE-A- DOPE like Ali LOL

November 8, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

I ask a question to see what kind of a parent you might be and you refuse to answer whether you'd okay an operation to save your daughter. Fortunately, I don't have your morals and wouldn't hesitate a second to save my poor child who had been r@ped. Sorry you can't agree.

November 8, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

"Black Beauty:"

Why not put up the baby up for adoption:
    Well, after a person has thought this over, long and hard it usually comes down to this:
    Because the full cost of the baby's birth is usually put on the mother.

Why banning this is really just a ploy that will backfire on the GOP:
    The orphanages are full of babies that are, for one reason or another, unadoptable, BB, and these are the programs that are short-listed to be cut.
    Because all the social programs are being cut, and any available help that was formerly helpful will be a thing of the past, if the GOP has there way.

Why *wouldn't* I have an abortion?
    Because it's personally reprehensible to *me*, but I would never have the absolute arrogance of speaking for someone else, and worse, forcing them to do something *against* their will.

You have said that you wouldn't take a woman into your home because "it's HER sin".
    So, then, stay out of her business when she decides to make a choice, even it isn't one *you* would choose.

It's pretty simple.
    You have a right to think abortion is murder.
    You own it.
    You do NOT have a right to force YOUR beliefs on others.
    Why is that hard to understand?!?

November 8, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  12. justathought

When it gets down to the fine line, most of this about morals and those that want to “have their cake and eat it too”–out of wedlock. For the most part, people who want adult privileges without the responsibility are against this law. Of course there are a few that will argue about family planning, my wife and I had one that at first we didn’t want because we felt we couldn’t afford it, but affectingly I call her our miracle baby, because we were taking precautions, but it happened anyway.

November 8, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Black Beauty

Obortion IS murder not matter how you cut it folks, I'm outta here!

November 8, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Black Beauty:
    "FACT" and a warning?
    Just a fact?
    Jesus will be judging?
    That is something that you believe.
    Don't threaten banasy with something as a "FACT" because you believe it.
    banasy may or may not believe that.
    I don't believe it.
    If it were a "FACT," I would believe it.

November 8, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Black Beauty

I'm not threatening anyone, just stating a FACT Joey
      BYE

November 8, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy©

@mary:
    By that same token, the law should not *force* anyone to have a baby, either, and make it a criminal act if that law isn't followed.

November 8, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |