November 10th, 2011

Perry tries to limit the damage after gaffe

The morning after a debate gaffe that many political watchers say will go down in modern political history, Gov. Rick Perry of Texas said his "brain freeze" shows that he is not "the slickest politician" among the field of Republican presidential hopefuls.

During the debate in Rochester, Michigan, Wednesday night, Perry said he would eliminate three federal agencies if elected president - but he was able to name only two of them.

That produced a painful period of more than 50 seconds during which he tried in vain to remember the third federal agency that he would eliminate. It ended only after Perry conceded that he could not remember it - even after appearing to consult his notes.

"Oops," he said.

Perry addressed the gaffe Thursday on CNN's "American Morning."

"I bet there are a lot of Americans out there that would like to forget some agencies of government too," Perry quipped, smiling through the interview.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Politics • Rick Perry
  1. Scottish Mama

Airhead. EPA, yeah we need another cut for the wealthy to pollute and destroy the enviornment. Commerce is another one, and by all means let's dumb down our nation with cutting education. Knucklehead.

November 10, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  2. s kel

Im with you on that Scottish Mama! How u been anyway?

November 10, 2011 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  3. Scottish Mama

@s kel I am doing well. I read u were under the weather alittle though. Hope you can beat that cough. My grandmother said "Drinking tea wth lemon and honey and a sock around your neck". I would skip the sock part the other sounds logical.lol

November 10, 2011 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  4. michaelfury

Central Intelligence Agency?

November 10, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

Department of Energy.
    Yeah.
    Dolt.

November 10, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

@Scottish Mama:
    The sock would be alright, as long as they're new...

November 10, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  7. Scottish Mama

@Banasy-Morning! Yeah it was, I do not get it. maybe to reduce legislation put in the new dirty oil pipeline. It is very costly to clean that oil. We do not need to be taxed to clean the oil and then have to pay again to use it. I think we are reaching critical mass and maybe putting the money toward renewable energy is getting nearer to the top of priorities. I rather get oil from Libya's people.

November 10, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I hope that Perry is out and stays out.
    What happened to my party? We have nobody.
    A long time ago, it wasn't like this.
    Go Obama.

November 10, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  9. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ s kel:
    Just go to bed and sleep. It fixes itself.

November 10, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  10. Scottish Mama

@JIf looked up Miss Territory Govenors.

November 10, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  11. Scottish Mama

@JIF I agree. They are going to pull someone out of the hat soon? I just cannot see them running just Romney? They have someone up their sleeve right?

November 10, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  12. Scottish Mama

Missouri needs to go Democrat this year. We need to get our state stability back.

November 10, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

Hello, JIF.
    I hope you're feeling better; it sounds like it.

I do not mean this in a derogatory way,
    I must admit, I am fascinated by these debates, and the GOP candidates.
    I am just trying to figure out what it is each one is trying to *say*.
    I'm not about to even get into a discussion about their policy beliefs; I'm just saying that I've never seen a more diverse group of people running for one goal in my life. I know diversity is a good thing, but it just seems that they are so far apart to be under the same umbrella.
    Utterly fascinating to me!

November 10, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

Well, at this point, the pundits are saying Mitt is the only one who has any chance...

November 10, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  15. Scottish Mama

@Banasy Mitt=Obama without personality? They say his political views are in line with Obama. Why change then? At least most international leaders like and get along with Obama.

November 10, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |