November 10th, 2011

Perry tries to limit the damage after gaffe

The morning after a debate gaffe that many political watchers say will go down in modern political history, Gov. Rick Perry of Texas said his "brain freeze" shows that he is not "the slickest politician" among the field of Republican presidential hopefuls.

During the debate in Rochester, Michigan, Wednesday night, Perry said he would eliminate three federal agencies if elected president - but he was able to name only two of them.

That produced a painful period of more than 50 seconds during which he tried in vain to remember the third federal agency that he would eliminate. It ended only after Perry conceded that he could not remember it - even after appearing to consult his notes.

"Oops," he said.

Perry addressed the gaffe Thursday on CNN's "American Morning."

"I bet there are a lot of Americans out there that would like to forget some agencies of government too," Perry quipped, smiling through the interview.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Politics • Rick Perry
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Me? Chicago and New York.
    I'm outta here now and working.

November 10, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  2. Scottish Mama

@JIF-I said sorry, I thought your family could have put you thru school? I did not remember. I hope you have a great day. Talk at you later.

November 10, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  3. Cult of Personality

If there's one thing I have learned from the GOP debates, thus far, it's that we do NOT have a qualified candidate to hold the highest office, President of the United States. These GOP candidates are the laughing stock of the world. I know more about economics than any of these moronic candidates. Heck, maybe I ought to throw my name into the 2012 run; however, I am registered as an Independent.

November 10, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

@Uncle Ray:
    Then don't rub it on them.

November 10, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Portland tony

Gosh folks, It amazing that none, I mean none of you have ever gotten on a stage and forgot your lines.,or ever drew a blank answering a test question that you knew the answer to. I mean what he says is normally questionable ...so give him a little slack if he can't remember what he just made up.

November 10, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

@Portland Tony:
    Lmao!

November 10, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

@Cult of Personality:
    More's the pity that you won't run.
    It would have been much more interesting a campaign...

November 10, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. saywhat

Its not just running for your local chapter of whatever. Its the highest office in the land and as leader of the free world.
    A person who has to face crises & decisions that can alter the fate of nations including ours. A person who faces a barrage of questions on a daily basis & wherever he goes on national, domestic & foreign policy issues & not only from a friendly White House Corp.
    This array of sad wannabes we are saddled with as future leaders , with the exception of perhaps Ron Paul who seems to talk sense, makes this nation a laughing stock of the world. In fact if you ponder to think we have been either mocked or despised ever since those days of infamy – the Bush-Cheny era.

November 10, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. saywhat

Pl read " if you pause to think". My apologies.

November 10, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. JohnnyT

First they gave us Dumbya. Now they've given us Dumbya-er! What the heck is going on in Texas??

November 10, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. s kel

cough cough ,lol thats all for the home med ideas, ........guess what I went to the store ...now its sleeting got a little wet, gonna have a shot of brandy ,light my fireplace look at this cold dreary , sleeting weather and nap.

November 10, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. s kel

thanks all for the home remidies, 🙂

November 10, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. fernace

Hey to all my blog peeps! Perry is a walking, talking gaffe & not presidential material! He was probably promted by earpiece from his advisor to not go there, "don't say it" because it would be too controversial, so he pretended to "forget!" I'm all for "smaller govt." if it means we don't have to deal with him anymore!!

November 10, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Scottish Mama

@fernace With you on that.

November 10, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy©

Whatever the cause of the gaffe, it doen't inspire confidence that he could even run the local PTA.
    I'm with fernace and saywhat; they should just be vewwy vewwy quiet.

November 10, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |