November 10th, 2011

U.S. soldier gets life for murder of Afghan civilians

[Updated 10:18 p.m. ET] Army Staff Sgt. Calvin Gibbs was sentenced Thursday to life in military prison with eligibility for parole in 10 years after being found guilty of murdering three Afghan civilians, cutting pieces from their corpses to keep as "souvenirs" and planting weapons on them to make them appear as if they had been killed in legitimate firefights.

[Posted 6:10 p.m. ET] A U.S. Army staff sergeant accused of leading a rogue "kill squad"in Afghanistan was found guilty Thursday of all charges, including murder in the death of  three Afghan civilians.

Staff Sgt. Calvin Gibbs faces a maximum sentence of life in military prison. He was convicted in a military courtroom in Washington state of murdering Afghan villagers, planting weapons on them and cutting body parts off to keep as grisly war trophies..

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Afghanistan • Military • U.S. Army
  1. Ed

news flash! many of these nuts and bolts get out of service and enter law enforcement or goto blackwater, is that a shocker or what? Facism coming to save the motha fkin day yea! america!!! f yeaaaaa!!!!!!

November 10, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Billy

Cutting off body parts to keep as Trophy? This guy is a Psycho !!! But who was with him and how did he manage to do so many times? Others should be brought in as well...

November 10, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • W Miller

Billy, there were about five others with him who already plead guilty to charges of murder. They told their story about how this guy manipulated them and "ordered" this stuff to happen.

November 10, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

This is war, I realize.
    The difference is this man (I won't dignify him by calling him a soldier) planned and executed innocent civilians, after he had talked about how to make these kills look like they were justifiable by making them look as if they took out Taliban members.
    What this man and his "followers" did was reprehensible, and distinctly *not* what we are supposed to be supportive of when we "support out troops."

November 10, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Wintermute

Murders 3 people and all he gets is LIFE?

November 10, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. George Patton

What a surprise here! An American soldier who didn't litterally get away with murder. Murder is murder no matter who commits it and the idea of someone hiding behind their uniform is utterly nauseating to say the least!!! This guy here is not only a wanton killer but a sicko as well and that makes him a disgrace to this country!!!

November 10, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • George Patton

Karl Marx is giving me a big pat on the head for posting that.

November 11, 2011 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  6. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

All I can say here is that this filthy creep Calvin Gibbs is no better than Charles Manson, Richard Speck or David Berkowitz and should never be permitted to see the light of day again! He should be interned at Statesville Prison in Joliet,IL rather than a military prison and in solitary confinement!!!

November 10, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Yawn

Big deal. So there's one more innocent casualty. Look at all the ten's of thousands of 9/11 terrorists we killed before they could invade America. You bleeding hearts have no appreciation for what troops do for you. If not for US troops, Al Quida would have already invaded and we would be fighting in our own streets you idiots.

November 10, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bimbo the Birthday Clown

Here goes another right-wing nutjob defending this filthy creep. I was wondering when these insane fools were going to get around to this! Then again, these people have a right to their opinions too no matter how repulsive!!!

November 10, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yawn

Sorry Bimbo and everyone else too, I never post that idiotic comment above. Some jerk is trying to make a fool out of me. For the record, I don't and never have condoned this kind of behavior as I find it totally inexcusable. This Sgt. Gibbs must be dealt with appropriately is all I can say here!

November 10, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • George Patton

Don't worry Yawn. George Patton posted both comments. Because George Patton doesn't have any real friends, George Patton likes to pretend to be other people. All of us are the same anyway, as Marx, Lenin and Mao will tell you.

November 11, 2011 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  8. 11BravoPapa

Great job CNN splashing this on the front page RIGHT before veterans day. IF YOU HAVEN'T SERVED IN COMBAT, STAY THE **** OUT OF THIS POST. All you civilians that never answered the call idea have no idea how far we are pushed when it hits the fan. Just keep your fat mouthes closed and let the vets do the talking

November 10, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • George Patton

Hey punk, I commanded the 3rd Army during WW2. Just where do you get off telling me to keep my fat mouth closed and stay off this web page??? At least I can distinguish right from wrong and that's apparently more than you can do!

November 10, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • George Patton

As the real George Patton troll, I have to say that when I posted the above reply, I didn't think I would fool anyone. A communist like me would never serve in the US Army. But I have served in the Cuban revolution.

Or I would have, if I wasn't such a coward. But I have contributed money to Hamas and the Black Panthers.

Or I would have, if I had any welfare money left over.

November 11, 2011 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Jerry

Hey you, would you mind not posting your right-wing drivel under Gen. Patton's name in order to discredit him? Like the true Gen. Patton, I too condemn what this low-life Gibbs did in Afghanistan and if you condone this atrocity, then kindly post it under your own name, please!!!!!!

November 11, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

This incident will have nothing to do with my respect for our verterans, 11BravoPapa.
    I respect our veterans today, and every day.

November 10, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

Amazing what one can do from the grave.

November 10, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. s kel

11BravoPapa YOU SHUT THE F UP!!! I served in 1ST BN 18th INF DURNING GULF WAR! PULLED FROM MY CIV JOB AS A FIREFIGHTER ! I LOVE THIS COUNTRY SERVED VOL TO RESPOND TO PENTAGON ON 9 -11. SO I DONT CHEST BEAT! IF YOUR BLIND IGNORANT ASS CONDONES WHAT THIS DISGRACE IN UNIFORM DID THAN GET THE HELL OFF THIS POST! I DONT LIKE CIVILIANS WHINNING EITHER BUT I CAN NOT AND WILL NOT CONDONE WHAT THIS NCO DID!

November 10, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. concerned

This shows just how serious abusing power can be.

November 10, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. outraged

If he committed murder, he should get the death penalty. What good is it being one of the few "developed" countries to still have capital punishment if you are not going to use it on one who clearly willfully killed people who in no way threatened him?

November 10, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yawn

Thank you, outraged. I couldn't agree more. What ourages me more is having a jerk like 11BravoPapa come on this web page to post his crap in favor of this creeping killer Calvin Gibbs who choses to hide behind his uniform. Even Charles Manson never sunk that low!!!!

November 11, 2011 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
    • 11BravoPapa

Did I ever say I supported him? Exactly so shut your trap. Have you ever been to afghanistan? Have you ever been to Iraq? Have you ever seen any of your friends heads ripped off by an EFP? How many bodies have you seen? How many firefights have you been in? How many doors have you kicked in? You have no idea the horrors of combat and what we go through. Put your sheltered civilian logic aside for once. It's easy when you're on your couch criticizing what was done but i'm telling you that war destroys people's minds. Especially when you lose one of your soldiers. Not saying what he did was right because it's not, i'm saying i've seen good men go banannas over their experiences in country. Why am I wasting my breath with you? You wouldn't understand... #signed OIF veteran 07-08, OEF 09-10 airbone grunt

November 11, 2011 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Jerry

that's funny, 11BravoPapa, I don't see anyone here defending what any German soldier did during WW2. An atrocity is an atrocity no matter who commits it! I'm getting sick and tired of all these right-wing fanatics coming here to speak up for this low-life Gibbs!!!

November 11, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  14. s kel

Son ive seen PLENTY PLENTY OF BURNED SHOT MANGLED BODDIES SO U SHUT THE FK UP!!!!!YOUR AZZ WAS STILL IN HIGH SCHOOL WHEN I BEEN THRU THE CRAP!!!! UNLESS U ACTIVE STILLL STEP BACK!YEAH I GOT WINGS!

November 11, 2011 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  15. s kel

THAT SOB IS A FRKN MURDER JUNKI!

November 11, 2011 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |