November 11th, 2011

Oops! Share your stories of Rick Perry-style brain freeze

Let's face it. We've all had our flubs or gaffes or "stepped in it" before. But when you're running for president of the United States, it just seems a whole lot worse.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry has been the butt of just a few jokes since his failed attempt Wednesday night to name three federal agencies he'd like to get rid of. His last word on the matter has been dubbed "the 'oops' heard round the world."

Sure, many a politician before him has frozen in front of the camera, from Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer to former President George Bush, who stared into space in a fruitless effort to name his "biggest mistake." There's even a scientific explanation for it: a "retrieval failure" in a moment exacerbated by stress, according to The Washington Post.

Now in damage control overdrive, Perry has been trying to make people laugh with him as he smiles and jokes his way through interviews, culminating in an appearance Thursday on the Tonight Show with David Letterman.

His campaign even sought to do some fund-raising off the gaffe, encouraging supporters to send $5 for every government agency they "would like to forget."

How about you? What's been your most embarrassing pregnant pause? We promise not to tell!

Post by:
Filed under: Rick Perry
  1. Patty

@lucerot: ROTFLMFAO!!! I get the feeling there are a lot of gaffes like that at holiday time...

November 12, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ben James

Perry is a racist dog who didn't have the mental propensity to deal with this situation. Good riddance.

November 12, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bobbie

We all make mistakes. Your reporter (10:00 A.M. CT) made a huge gaff. While reporting about the basketball game played aboard the USS Carl Vinson, she said it was played aboard the AIR FORCE SHIP!. Being a Naval Veterarn, married to a disabled Naval Veteran, and and a son currently serving aboard the USS Carl Vinson, believe me it has nothing to do with the Air Force. By the way I'm no a support of Perry either.

November 12, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. nate

All the republicans candidates are awful. I am convinced that half of them are really Democrats trying to ruin the perception of the party after some of the idiotic things they have done and said.. You have four years to prepare for a face off against in my opinion one of the worst presidents of our time and this is what you come up with. ..... Republicans will lose again because they still don't get it. They are riding on small issues of no real merit. They should speak of the economy, creating jobs, and reuniting this torn in half nation. . Lowering taxes and getting rid of Obamacare should not be your whole plan. Get some substance!!!

November 12, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. beanandzeus

Rick Perry might be an idiot (I have no idea whether or not he is in the same cognitive league as Bush and Palin), but if so, it's not because his mind blanked while he was under pressure! That can happen to anyone. Let's move on to real issues.

November 12, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. fernace

LOL, @ s kel! Your names for the candidates are hilarious & spot on! I have had plenty of "gaffes" in my life, the most embarassing being onstage & forgetting lyrics! Right now I'd like to forget Perry & that's not a gaffe!!

November 12, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. amac

Perry has proven he is an idiot under pressure so many times it's not funny any more, and this should be at the least worrisome and at the most a disqualificaton of his candidacy for president of the United States, even for those who otherwise agree with his ideology.

November 12, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Nick

Several years ago, I had a student in one of my classes, and I just could not remember his name, no matter what.I even had a printed seating chart, and I had to look at it every single day for a year, every single time I called on him. I was only about 33, so it was not dementia. Unfortunately for this poor kid, he was assigned to my class again the next year, for a different course, and it took me almost a month into that school year to finally remember his name. I know it now: Thomas. Also, I can see his face now, clear as a bell, especially the disappointment and vexation there when I kept forgetting his name.

November 12, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. My T

brainfart.

November 12, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. TJ

I guess breaking bread at the family camp named "Ni**erhead" was a gaffe too.

November 12, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

@Nick: oh, my gosh...lmao!

November 12, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. WOT

Stop the blame on one man, The President! The Congress as a hold has done little of nothing. Get rid of the whole lot of them! All of them,act as if they have no mind to lose!

November 12, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Wayne

The odd thing is we still haven't heard what the third item is! Now that's really weird!

November 12, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Avser Bastian

WHITES ARE NOT WELCOME IN AMERICA ANY LONGER !!! WE DON'T NEED YOU ANY MORE !!!

OUT OF AMERICA WITH WHITES NOW !!!

OR
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BostjanAvsec <== OBAMA'S HEALTH CARE RECORDED LIVE IN 2009 !!! These are hard facts about lunatic Obama/Bush's twilight zone administrations(HORROR) or genocide against whites per ZIONIST Washington DC and communist Moscow where new SOVIET UNION NUMBER TWO WANNA BE or new Stalin is in place = PUTIN !!!

EXILING WHITES WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE AND IMPORTING NON WHITES IMMIGRATION REQUIREMENTS COMPLETELY FREE.

THIS NEWS IS RELATED TO WALL-STREET PROTESTS...NOT ANTI WALL-STREET, BUT ANTI WHITES !!!

ANTI WALL-STREET PROTESTS ARE ALSO KNOWN UNDER ZIONIST "TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP" IN AMERICA !!! TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP FROM HANDS OF WHITE AMERICANS TO SO CALLED "MINORITIES"(COMMUNISM)

Wall street protesters are Obama's raise of the planet Apes army which spread from London per Zionist Washington DC and communist Moscow where Mr. SOVIET UNION NUMBER TWO or new Stalin is in place = PUTIN

ANTI WALL-STREET PROTEST MOVEMENT IS LED BY SO CALLED "ANONYMOUS" !!

Anonymous !!? REALLY !!?

NOW TELL ME WHO IS ANONYMOUS IN A POLICE STATE WHERE WE ARE SURVEILLANCED 24/7 !!? WHO !!?

NOBODY !!! ABSOLUTELY NOBODY IS ANONYMOUS IN A POLICE STATE AND NOR ARE THOSE WHO MADE YOU PROTEST FOR THEIR SAKE OR WHAT MULTICULTURALISM(animal Apartheid) IS !!! http://multiculturalismisterrorism.blogspot.com

GREEK CRISES !!! We are all Greece...find out who wants to burn not only what is Greece, but is burning our countries for over 66 years now !!! http://burnbabyburnahaha.blogspot.com

November 12, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy©

@Wayne:
    I *believe* it was the Department of Energy.

November 12, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |