November 11th, 2011

Oops! Share your stories of Rick Perry-style brain freeze

Let's face it. We've all had our flubs or gaffes or "stepped in it" before. But when you're running for president of the United States, it just seems a whole lot worse.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry has been the butt of just a few jokes since his failed attempt Wednesday night to name three federal agencies he'd like to get rid of. His last word on the matter has been dubbed "the 'oops' heard round the world."

Sure, many a politician before him has frozen in front of the camera, from Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer to former President George Bush, who stared into space in a fruitless effort to name his "biggest mistake." There's even a scientific explanation for it: a "retrieval failure" in a moment exacerbated by stress, according to The Washington Post.

Now in damage control overdrive, Perry has been trying to make people laugh with him as he smiles and jokes his way through interviews, culminating in an appearance Thursday on the Tonight Show with David Letterman.

His campaign even sought to do some fund-raising off the gaffe, encouraging supporters to send $5 for every government agency they "would like to forget."

How about you? What's been your most embarrassing pregnant pause? We promise not to tell!

Post by:
Filed under: Rick Perry
  1. dr.RUFFNUTT

one time i lost a big ice cube inside this chick.. she got made cause she couldn't get it out tilll it melted..

November 11, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. anotherdayjustbelieve

I have about a half dozen gaffles when for job interviews....

November 11, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ricky P.

I have had three embarrassing moments, there are the first two and...uh, what was the third one? I can't remember the third one. Oops!

November 11, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brocahontas

GOOD ONE! SO FUNNY!

November 11, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Michael Stepp

That reporter needs a new bra.

November 11, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. rep96

Obama's accomplishments as president ummm uh ohhh oosdk eksldjf errrrrrrrr oops

November 11, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. me

Another hymn for him:
    (You reminded me of it, works4me)
    Why were you born so beautiful,
    Why were you born at all?
    You're no damn use to anyone,
    No damn use at all!
    Howdja, howdja, howdja like to bite my ass?
    You, you, phuk you!

(Not you but hymn him)

November 11, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. fedupwithla

I guess this shows that Mr Perry is human. Maybe a bit too human. There is a blithering idiot in all of us that lies behind a well-groomed exterior. Mr Perry is just proof of that. He's got my vote!

November 11, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry

Agreed. I'm not Republican but I like how he handled it. it is more about his response than his mistake that makes him more appealing. He's able to accept his humanity and his faults. Maybe if more politicians had humility we could fix some of our problems. He fell in it and got up and wiped off hisshoe vs getting up and acting like nothing happened.

November 12, 2011 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  8. me

Bush. Both of em.

November 11, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. huxley

I did a job interview once where I had an Oops moment just like Perry – I couldn't remember some thing I was trying to say, and unfortunately, instead of just going on or rephrasing what I was saying, I sat there and kind of hummed... mmmm... uuhhh.... hmmmm....

For some reason they didn't give me a job offer...

November 11, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nick

I knew a man who was a recruiter for the oil company Tenneco. During a campus interview, a candidate kept telling him how much he wanted to work for Texaco. At the end of the interview, the man told the poor candidate, I hope you get an interview with Texaco the next time they're on your campus!

November 12, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  10. 1tonks

Funny, just like Bush...neither of them can speak eloquently. Is this someone you want to represent you around the world; I sure hope not!

November 11, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Prince Arora

May be the Texas school system needs to concentrate on DEBATES at schools. First we had Bush from Texas who had a problem with debates, now we have a candidate from Texas named Perry who has problems with debates. My brain froze for the third sentence, OOPS.

November 11, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Elizabeth

In the final moments of my seventh-grade spelling bee, I was thrown a curve ball with a simple word. After correctly spelling whoppers such as "disestablishment," the moderator asked me to spell "due." As in, "The book report is due on Friday." [Rick-Perry-style pregnant pause] I answered, "Doo. D-o-o. Doo."

November 11, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kristen

That's awesome! Everyone makes mistakes. 🙂

November 12, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  13. Brocahontas

I remember this one time, we as a nation actually let a trailer park trust fund student become a presidential nominee. Then he won the presidency in 2000 and again in 2004. Now we're doing it again with Rick Perry! OOPS.

November 11, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. txnrnchr

Perry's inability to speak coherently extemporaneously is but one very small problem with him. What worries many of us Texas Republicans is Perry's ability to raise large sums of money from donors who expect him to repay them with fat government contracts (i.e. Cintra Corp., Merck and many others) or laws benefiting them financially (i.e. Perry Homes and many others). Perry then uses those huge campaign contributions to run TV commercials trashing opponents with often untrue innuendos. Perry is known in Texas as being the luckiest imcompetent in politics.

November 11, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Anon

I was interviewing John Huntsman and Tom Ridge and I forgot the word "license plate"

November 11, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |