November 11th, 2011

Oops! Share your stories of Rick Perry-style brain freeze

Let's face it. We've all had our flubs or gaffes or "stepped in it" before. But when you're running for president of the United States, it just seems a whole lot worse.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry has been the butt of just a few jokes since his failed attempt Wednesday night to name three federal agencies he'd like to get rid of. His last word on the matter has been dubbed "the 'oops' heard round the world."

Sure, many a politician before him has frozen in front of the camera, from Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer to former President George Bush, who stared into space in a fruitless effort to name his "biggest mistake." There's even a scientific explanation for it: a "retrieval failure" in a moment exacerbated by stress, according to The Washington Post.

Now in damage control overdrive, Perry has been trying to make people laugh with him as he smiles and jokes his way through interviews, culminating in an appearance Thursday on the Tonight Show with David Letterman.

His campaign even sought to do some fund-raising off the gaffe, encouraging supporters to send $5 for every government agency they "would like to forget."

How about you? What's been your most embarrassing pregnant pause? We promise not to tell!

Post by:
Filed under: Rick Perry
  1. toocy

Perry didn't have brain freeze, he forgot an idea he supposedly believes in strongly. Or rather, his handlers tell him he believes strongly. I don't know about the rest of you but when there's something truly important to me, I never forget it.

November 11, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. kit8

Rick Perry is a lot smarter than I originally thought. He remember two out of three not bad for another id$t from Texas.

November 11, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rabinfranat Tagore

Perry look very stupid, he even made George Bush look like a genius, I think he just lost the presidency!, or do you want someone that when he needs tu push the button, forgets???

November 11, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shadynuk

I agree he did come across as not too bright – but still a lot brighter than you.

November 11, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • retta

We’ve all had human moments. President Obama is still trying to find all 57 states. Ronald Reagan got lost somewhere on the Pacific Highway in an answer to a debate question. Gerald Ford ate a tamale without removing the husk. And tonight Rick Perry forgot the third agency he wants to eliminate. Just goes to show there are too damn many federal agencies.
      As for George Bush his grades average was higher than Al Gore when he was at Harvard. That does not seem too dumb to me..As for Perry that is possibly the best thing that happen for his campaign…he is all over the news
      Don’t know if I will vote for him...Newt is my guy…..he has forgotten more than Obama and any of the GOP candidates knows And Yes Republican have a candidate that would fit the bill…Newt….if the Republicans are smart they will elect him. That is when we would get our country heading in the right direction again

November 11, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Darius

The American people looked like idiots voting for Obama! I cant blame them though, those amazing speeches sounded so compelling, full of promise. Pull back the teleprompter and you are left with a fool.

November 11, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daisy

Rick Perry is the incompetent fool.

November 11, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Square

OK...he messed up...but he is a good sport about it. At least he can make fun of himself on Letterman. I guess that's the safe thing to do since Letterman and Leno were going to make jokes anyway.

November 11, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daisy

I don't care if he made a joke out of it, this is an important race and should not be taken lightly. This just goes to show how incompetent he truly is.

November 11, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mmmmm

@s kel ...do we really need another presidential nut whose first lady holds down the fort with astrologers while her husband allocate taxpaying dollars to build himself a starwars laser sword?

November 11, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Eddy

Darius, ur a doosh.

November 11, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Harry Palm

There was this time I thought Perry had the potential to win and then I thought..opps. He proved he is not in it for the people, he is in it for what he is told he is in it for!!!

November 11, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Wastrel

Only Republicans, the dupes who previously thought that Palin and Bachmann were the salvation of America, could imagine that Perry has a brain under that hair. He is a complete numskull and the sooner we all realize that, the sooner we can get a choice between two intelligent presidential candidates in 2012, although the Republicans have yet to find one.

November 11, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joe

Oops he did it again. Got lost in the game. oh baby baby. Oops!

November 11, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. zoundsman

I could never be a popular politician. My whole life I've forgotten names. As if a section of the brain was under
    construction and the workers walked off the job.

November 11, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ashley

name three ingredients to make a blt...rick perry," you got bacon, lettuce and ahhhhhhhhhhhh tangerines! oops!

November 11, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. bobcat (in a hat)

Well, I definitely remember the time I was doing, ah, um, dang. Oops

November 11, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Kent Bowen

my girlfriend's boobs once slipped out from her t-top. Ooops, it happens.

November 11, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Dev

Since that famous "oops" Tuesday, I have stopped watching stand-up comedy shows on TV – I watch the Republican Presidential debates instead. They are funnier!

November 11, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |