November 11th, 2011

Oops! Share your stories of Rick Perry-style brain freeze

Let's face it. We've all had our flubs or gaffes or "stepped in it" before. But when you're running for president of the United States, it just seems a whole lot worse.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry has been the butt of just a few jokes since his failed attempt Wednesday night to name three federal agencies he'd like to get rid of. His last word on the matter has been dubbed "the 'oops' heard round the world."

Sure, many a politician before him has frozen in front of the camera, from Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer to former President George Bush, who stared into space in a fruitless effort to name his "biggest mistake." There's even a scientific explanation for it: a "retrieval failure" in a moment exacerbated by stress, according to The Washington Post.

Now in damage control overdrive, Perry has been trying to make people laugh with him as he smiles and jokes his way through interviews, culminating in an appearance Thursday on the Tonight Show with David Letterman.

His campaign even sought to do some fund-raising off the gaffe, encouraging supporters to send $5 for every government agency they "would like to forget."

How about you? What's been your most embarrassing pregnant pause? We promise not to tell!

Post by:
Filed under: Rick Perry
  1. UmYeah

Reminds me of when Obama was campaigning and claimed to have visited 57 states while still hoping to visit Alaska and Hawaii. Give me a break. Campaigning is grueling and even the most intelligent individuals are going to make gaffes due to exhaustion. End of story.

November 12, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  2. Donna

GWB could not form a sentence. Do we really want another Texan? God is this the best that the GOP can do. Nute Gringish are you kidding me? Keep looking this about reaches the bottom. Want another 4 years of the Democrats? Obviously if you can't find better than you are offering us now.

November 12, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Mariann Pepitone

It doesn't matter what state you come from as long as you have the ability to run the country. Perry is not Bush. Bush is a very arrogant person and you people voted him in twice. You voted Obama in and now you want him out. Think before you vote. Rommney is a mormon and I would not vote for a mormon. Cain is a wheeler dealer and a sweet talker and he has done that for years. People are wrapped up in him because they lack the brains to see thru him. There is nothing wrong with Perry. One slip up doesn't mean he could not run this country. I am sure you have slipped up many times over in you life.

November 12, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  3. Mariann Pepitone

Those on this message board are you trying to say you never flip-flopped? Of course you have and more than once. How about Obama and his 57 states along with other presidents, JFK, Nixon, Ford, Reagan. And they flipflooped while president which is worse. A flip-flop doesn't mean you can't run the country but lack of experience in the political field does. Cain doesn't know the first thing about foreign policy and the world leaders but he will learn by listening to the other candidates. That's where he gets his education in politics from. I am very careful whom I vote for and Cain is not one of them or Rommney. Gingrich knows more than all the candidates but I am not voting for him. The voters are upset with Obama and does not want him re-elected but they are sure crowding around Cain who I believe harrassed those women. Iowa, NH and SC needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

November 12, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  4. UmYeah

Big whoop! Campaigner has brain freeze. Shocker! Look at any of the previous candidates (include Obama and Biden). None of us mere mortals is exempt from having a moment such as this.

November 12, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

I don't think the simple brain freeze is the deal. I think it's the apparent repetative nature, ie, every time he gets on stage with anyone opposed to him. Easily flustered does not make a good president..

November 12, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  5. Kaos

Are you kidding me? The guy is not very bright and yet gets defended for being ignorant? Does he even have a degree in anything? High school maybe, but I can't imagine him being that sharp. Folks in Texas sure like to vote morons into important positions. Here I thought it would be impossible to find anyone less qualified than Bush II. I guess I was wrong. To hell with a birth certificate, let me see this guy’s high school diploma. Maybe instead of a debate, they should have a spelling bee to find someone who actually sports a brain. This is not just a republican oddity either. Ignorance runs rampant in Washington D.C. on both sides of the fence. Perhaps it’s time to set some intellectual standards for a position such as the President of the U.S.A. I am sick of politicians that are no smarter than my gerbil trying to run our country into the ground. Let them fill positions they are qualified for, working at a call center or McDonalds. God help us all.

November 12, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • kurtinco

In Texas, the oil industry selects the governor of the state. Voting is just a formality. The department the oil men want to destroy the most is the Department of Energy, and poor, simple Perry couldn't even remember that.

November 12, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  6. O. Neimon

But I'm not running for President of the United States with a plan to destroy three government agencies. If I'm going to gut our ability to take care of myself, I bloody well better remember their damn names.

He's showing himself as the insensitive rich twit that he is.

November 12, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Gigglemama

Couldn't have said it better myself.

November 12, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  7. LVTony

W didn't stare into space when asked about his 'biggest mistake' because he had a brain fart...he did it because, arrogant b*****d as he is, didn't believe he ever made a mistake.

November 12, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Cheryl Carter

Three cheers for you. We all remember his lapse from reality when The Towers were attacked.

November 12, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  8. Oops

Let he who knows no brain fart cast the first stone

November 12, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Hank

I am not casting any stones nor am I casting any ballots for Perry.

November 12, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  9. Hank

Reminds me of when Howard Dean was leading the pack and gave a speech where he was very agitated. His poll numbers fell and he never recovered. And there was the time Muskie broke into tears talking about a newspaper attack on him. That was the end of him. It is of note, that Perry had fallen sharply in the polls before this gaff.

November 12, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  10. kurtinco

Forgetting a word is one thing. But forgetting an entire concept is quite another altogether. This just indicates what we've known all along. These people don't have well thought out policy agendas. These people haven't spent years thinking about developing their ideas for the country. They are just spewing whatever they think tea party, republican jihadist want to hear. It's just so sad to see what has become of the once grand old party.

November 12, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  11. Toxic Zebra

Rick will boomerang back. Campaining and traveling 18-hour days with meetings ending at midnight and interview opportunities for radio and TV at 6 AM inevitably take the edge off. ...Maybe needs t supplement some ginko and diet monitoring.

November 12, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  12. Fernando

I was with the impression that to become a Republican you must have be Brain Toasted, but this caracter is worst is Brain Frozen, he passed from on stage to the other. That way is how he could change , that is Dangerous.

Very Sad Seeing this persons trying to be on power with any type of knowledge.

November 12, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  13. Shinaweh

For crying out loud, news people. This is not a story. Of all of the pathetic choices on the Republican side, he's one of my least favorite, but anyone who's running a race at the pace these people do is going to have a brain freeze once in a while. My God, how many times did Ronald Reagan trail off into nothing? How many times did either one of the Bush's come up with an incomprehensilbe word salad? I can't think of anything Mr Perry's said that I agree with, but he's far from mentally incompetent. It was just just an off moment or night. We need to be talking about real issues, not a verbal stumble on stage.

November 12, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  14. lineman

The Democrats could not agree more with this assessment of Perry. Also, according to the Democrats, Herman Cain is the victim of unfair attacks from his rivals. They would just love to see either of these guys as the Republican nominee.

November 12, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  15. Franceschini

He is smart and Texas is one of the best states to live.

November 12, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |