November 11th, 2011

Oops! Share your stories of Rick Perry-style brain freeze

Let's face it. We've all had our flubs or gaffes or "stepped in it" before. But when you're running for president of the United States, it just seems a whole lot worse.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry has been the butt of just a few jokes since his failed attempt Wednesday night to name three federal agencies he'd like to get rid of. His last word on the matter has been dubbed "the 'oops' heard round the world."

Sure, many a politician before him has frozen in front of the camera, from Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer to former President George Bush, who stared into space in a fruitless effort to name his "biggest mistake." There's even a scientific explanation for it: a "retrieval failure" in a moment exacerbated by stress, according to The Washington Post.

Now in damage control overdrive, Perry has been trying to make people laugh with him as he smiles and jokes his way through interviews, culminating in an appearance Thursday on the Tonight Show with David Letterman.

His campaign even sought to do some fund-raising off the gaffe, encouraging supporters to send $5 for every government agency they "would like to forget."

How about you? What's been your most embarrassing pregnant pause? We promise not to tell!

Post by:
Filed under: Rick Perry
  1. banasy©

@ms:
    Omg...you poor sweetie!
    I *do* know that people are awkward in those situations...some of the things people said to me at my son's wake were out there, too...I think they had their own brain farts going on; maybe they mixed up the occasions. One friend came up to my husband and I at the wake, hugged us both, and said "I know you two will be very happy".
    We didn't say anything, but this poor lady did give is a bit of humor on a terrible day...

November 12, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  2. Sarah

This particular debate was painful to watch. It is a blatent travesty. Was he really one of the best Republican candidates available? Embarrassing to say the least. I am most certainly not a politician, but I am at least aware of the fact that one should be knowledgable about the topic at hand, as well as basic governmental information, before representing your political party in front of a national audience. At the very least, we at least know that he's out of the running. Thank goodness. This country doesn't need any more issues than it already has at the moment.......And Kaos, Perry attended Texas A&M University, according to the Huffington Post, " The future politician did not distinguish himself much in the classroom. While he later became a student leader, he had to get out of academic probation to do so. He rarely earned anything above a C in his courses - earning a C in U.S. History, a D in Shakespeare, and a D in the principles of economics. Perry got a C in gym. Perry also did poorly on classes within his animal science major. In fall semester 1970, he received a D in veterinary anatomy, a F in a second course on organic chemistry and a C in animal breeding. He did get an A in world military systems and “Improv. of Learning” - his only two As while at A&M." I'm just amazed that he made it past highschool.

November 12, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  3. bigwilliestyles

Let's not forget the 'My Pet Goat' moment; arguably the most colossal 'brain freeze' of modern times, by 'ya boy' Dubya. Remember that when you're remembering 57 states.

November 12, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  4. bigwilliestyles

Let's not forget the 'My Pet Goat' by George Bush moment; arguably the most colossal 'brain freeze' of modern times, by 'ya boy' Dubya. Remember that when you're remembering 57 states.

November 12, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jec

I don't recall a CNN article on the Obama brain freeze ups...or lack of Political knowledge
    or any vetting at all.....maybe we would be better off had we had this info

obviously Perry isn't fit to be POTUS for many reasons...and I was open to voting for him not too long ago

November 12, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • klangster

Obama has never completely forgot the main reason he has to be speaking, if he did fox would still be all over it. Rick did not just forget he had no idea what he was talking about, he was just trying to repeat some memorized statement but it was the meaning that escaped him that's why he is finnished

November 12, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. disjustin

Would everybody stop tooting Perry's Horn. I beleive he did it on purpose and it was staged, due to his debate-lacklustre in order to gain sympathy votes and it worked!! I definitely will vote for him and i am not an American!!!

November 12, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  7. Christopher

Brain freeze ? You need to have a brain to freeze in the first place.

November 12, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jon

My small humble concern: the last thing I want to hear from my President after he's used fired missiles headed for God knows where is the word, "Oops."

November 12, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. smitty

who cares...

November 12, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sheepleherder

There are a whole lot of REAL reasons not to vote for this guy. A momentary blank is not one of them. That the incident is even considered NEWS is just stupid.

November 12, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Dana

He should have prefaced his comment by saying that the three department his handlers would get rid of after his election would be.......... Does anyone else get the feeing that before the debate there are these people telling him what he thinks? They should probably just try and keep the number of talking points to less than three.

November 12, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Dean

Rick perry is dumber than president bush and that's no lie.

November 12, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  13. lucerot

Mine wasn't a brain-freeze per se – it was an epic freudian slip at the worst of times.
    I was at the Thanksgiving table with my family, and I meant to ask, "Could someone please pass the candied yams?"
    Instead I said, "You ruined my life you mother-fu ckers"

November 12, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Totallyconfused

I just don't understand why there are NO real candidates running for the GOP. All they are giving Americans are a has been Speaker who cheated on his wife, a totally out of touch Governor who couldn't win the first time, a business man who thinks he can slide through on a joke and thinks the US doesn't know who our friends or enemies are? , and another candidate who can't remember his own points. This is what the GOP is offering the American people as true candidates for our Presidency? I'm totally confused! Maybe the GOP just wants to make it really easy for all Americans to vote for Obama in a landslide election! There is no way I could ever consider voting for any of the GOP's candidates. They are all a joke!

November 12, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |