Overheard on CNN.com: Elephant rescue is uplifting story
Despite efforts from their herd to help, the pair were unable to free themselves.
November 11th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Elephant rescue is uplifting story

Comment of the Day:

"If you see an animal in pain or distressed and you can help, why wouldn't you? Screw non-intervention, I'll intervene every time." -luked

Dramatic rescue of mother and baby elephant

A dehydrated mother elephant and her calf were pulled from a mud pit by a conservation team in Zambia. Previous attempts by the elephant herd to save the pair had failed. This story was a favorite: CNN.com readers said it was a bright spot amongst the usually depressing news stories.

fjrchooser said, "I raise my bottle of the Gods must be Crazy juice in salute to the rescuers!"

hedgehog said, "I think we all need a few positive stories now and again. It sure beats the heck out of the normal, depressing stuff I read."

taffd said, "I'm sure things like this happen all the time around the world–we need to hear about them so that we know the earth isn't just a place of war, criminals, falling economies etc. This story did me a world of good."

RandyinOC said, "This is a great story! I believe there are many great stories around us every day, but they don't make good news so we usually only hear the bad. That's why it seems like everything is always so doom and gloom. It would be great to read more of these and by looking at all the 'Likes' on these comments below, I think most of your readers would agree, CNN!"

doonerist said, "Wait ... this is not a complete story. Was there any aftercare, or were the mother and baby just left to rejoin the herd? I want to know what happened AFTER the rescue."

lidetector said, "Mankind has already negatively interfered way too much with nature, elephants in particular, so, when the opportunity presents itself to help a species, we should do so. Elephants are proven to be especially intelligent and to have a sense of feeling for herd members, so I am really glad to read this article. It is really a great ending."

CWarden said, "I agree that the community behavior exhibited by elephants is really lovely and they are such gorgeous animals that we should be doing everything we can to protect them."

Shelama said, "Wow! It made me cry. Not only primates among the social animals show the evolutionary traits of empathy and altruism."

Laboy75063 said, "I'm so happy to read pleasant news for a change. I love that the other elephants came to help." TechIsReady said, "They always try to help when a herd member is in trouble."

XoriusM said, "I had to read the article twice to make sure I wasn't seeing things. A heartwarming article? You mean no war in the Middle East, a flood in Thailand, or a European financial collapse? *Smile*, thank you elephants."

crackiswhack said, "Well done, humanity. There's hope for us yet."

Blind man uses his ears to see

Daniel Kish lost his sight when he was a baby, but he has since learned to navigate much like a bat–by clicking his tongue and listening for the echoes. He aims to teach others his techniques. In a PopTech presentation, he showed videos of his blind students riding mountain bikes through obstacle courses, playing basketball and skateboarding. Most CNN.com readers were amazed and enthusiastic.

DexterDexter said, "I'd be interested in seeing brain activity. Has he awakened some sectors in the human brain that have long been dormant?" Lokari replied, "He hasn't awakened any dormant part of his brain, he's just learned to pay attention to the minute echoes from his clicks, and interpret what they tell him about his environment. It's very impressive, and no doubt an extremely skill to have, but it's just a question of training and practice."

myslant said, "I am skeptical as to the efficacy of this procedure, particularly outdoors. One would have to possess a superhuman hearing ability just to hear the reflected sound waves." Persuter replied, "Try this as an experiment. Stand near a bend in a hallway. Have your friend stand around the bend where you can't see him or her. Have them make a sound. If you hear the sound, then your assertion is incorrect."

Basil999 said, "When I was in college there was a guy at UofH who echolocated by clapping his hands. He didn't even have a cane. It was absolutely fascinating to watch. He was spot on with locating objects–people, curbs, streets–amazing."

Riggan said, "Hats off to Kish! The blind community has often resisted adaptive technologies. I don't know about today, but not too long ago, many schools for the blind would not allow guide dogs on their campus."

wagn asked, "Why do advocates for the blind rule it out if it could make the lives of blind people easier? What's the hurt? I think that it's silly to just shoot it down when a blind person is successfully using this."

ringobabe said, "There are people trying to figure out dolphin language. Daniel need to talk to these folks; he'll be able to give them some pointers."

1. banasy©

The elephant rescue story was amazing. Poor things: I am glad that, despite those who would say otherwise, that the fittest of humans saved these two elephants.
    What a great story.
    Thanks!

November 11, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. joplinblack

🙂 !!!

November 11, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. s kel

Opps I thought this was about the Kouch bros( hope I spelled that name right) giving more money to thr GOP!

November 11, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. dr.RUFFNUTT

HERE we go again... polluting the gene pool... just like when we saved the retarded penguin..

November 11, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dolphin Lungren

Koch brothers. Who gives a rat's ass if those clowns get saved or not?

November 11, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mmmmm

Nothing like hydrating the dehydrated and on that note I'm gonna get me a drink...

November 11, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Eddy

Mmmmm, are you a girl? Single? Mmmmm, mmmmm?

November 11, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Dammmmn boy, ya kinna late witcha offer! Now t'answer yah dem questions, it depends on whose pickin'up the tab. I'll be dah beiotch as long as you're buying...buttah if I gotta hold the tab I'll be the married man cuz yah azzzzzzzzzzz is too cheap t'bring home...

November 12, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. BOMBO

Everyone on the internet is a single girl, if you want them to be.

November 12, 2011 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  9. Scottish Mama

I like elephants they are intelligent and caring toward each other. Maybe we should take a chapter from their book?

November 12, 2011 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

Elephabts are cool, Mama.
    Yes, we should try to take a page out of their book, but I have no intention of weighing a ton, thankyouveddymuch!

🙂

November 12, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

Had a finger freeze, there.

November 12, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Lol.

November 12, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

hope that doesn't happen whileya using the bathroom...that really would be awkward...

November 12, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. gung hoe

Im with both of you moma and banasy.I think its so dam cruel every time that I see elaphants being held captive in circuses.They dont belong there they are wild

November 12, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

Ewwwww! Thanks, Mmmmmm...

November 12, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Avser Bastian

WHITES ARE NOT WELCOME IN AMERICA ANY LONGER !!! WE DON'T NEED YOU ANY MORE !!!

OUT OF AMERICA WITH WHITES NOW !!!

OR
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BostjanAvsec <== OBAMA'S HEALTH CARE RECORDED LIVE IN 2009 !!! These are hard facts about lunatic Obama/Bush's twilight zone administrations(HORROR) or genocide against whites per ZIONIST Washington DC and in complete agreement with communist Moscow !!!

EXILING WHITES WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE AND IMPORTING NON WHITES IMMIGRATION REQUIREMENTS COMPLETELY FREE.

THIS NEWS IS RELATED TO WALL-STREET PROTESTS...NOT ANTI WALL-STREET, BUT ANTI WHITES !!!

ANTI WALL-STREET PROTESTS ARE ALSO KNOWN UNDER ZIONIST "TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP" IN AMERICA FROM HANDS OF WHITE AMERICANS TO SO CALLED "MINORITIES"(COMMUNISM). Wall street protesters are Obama's raise of the planet Apes army which spread from London per Zionist Washington DC and communist Moscow where Mr. SOVIET UNION NUMBER TWO or new Stalin is in place = PUTIN

ANTI WALL-STREET PROTEST MOVEMENT IS LED BY SO CALLED "ANONYMOUS" !!

Anonymous !!? REALLY !!?

NOW TELL ME WHO IS ANONYMOUS IN A POLICE STATE WHERE WE ARE SURVEILLANCED 24/7 !!? WHO !!?

NOBODY !!! ABSOLUTELY NOBODY IS ANONYMOUS IN A POLICE STATE AND NOR ARE THOSE WHO MADE YOU PROTEST FOR THEIR SAKE OR WHAT MULTICULTURALISM(animal Apartheid) IS !!! http://multiculturalismisterrorism.blogspot.com

GREEK CRISES !!! We are all Greece...find out who wants to burn not only what is Greece, but is burning our countries for over 66 years now !!! http://burnbabyburnahaha.blogspot.com

November 12, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Avser Bastian

ARIZONA = UTOYA(there was no shooting either in NORWAY OR ARIZONA, but instead governmental "afterlife" flash and cash mob ONLY; however, bombing was real) - WHO/WHY//HOW CREATED SCHOOL SHOOTINGS(Arizona incl.) - HAARP AUSTRALIAN FLOODS(Incl. deliberately busted oil pipe in gulf of Mexico) – WIKILEAKS is CIA(truth about Anti-Wall-Street protests) !!! – BREAST FEEDING INSANITY PROTESTS(insanity frenzy) – FACEBOOK or CIABOOTH !!? – NWO MULTICULTURALISM SWINE/PIG FLUE SYNDROME – NEWS/MEDIA OR SIMPLY BIG FAT VACUUM WORLD OF LIES/DEMENTIA(nothing else than police) !!? – THE REAL DON'T ASK DON'T TELL, BUT DIE !!! – OBAMINATOR'S FREE HEALTH CARE PLANE or GENOCIDE BASED ON FORGIVE AND FORGET – WAR ON TERROR or WAR AGAINST YOU !!? – HUMAN FLASH EATING MACHINE – UNITED NATION'S Chef Ban Ki-moon or CHINESE BAN KEY MONKEY IN CRIME AGAINST WHITE HUMANITY !!? – PARLIAMENTARIANS or SICK BIPOLAR CRIMINAL DISTORTIONISTS !!? – COMMUNISM IN EASTERN and HEART OF EUROPE TODAY IN 2011(learn about ongoing genocide against Germans since WWII) – NEW WORLD ORDER POLITICAL PARTIES(not there for you, but instead to seal your faith for their own parliament pay$$ scale !!!) – EURO DIC TRAITORS vs DICTATORS; WHAT IS WORSE !!? – LEARN WHAT DO LIBYA AND EUROPE OR USA HAVE IN-COMMON !!! and sooo much more !!!

VISIT ALL NEW "OBAMA = STALIN = BUSH and USA = SOVIET UNION" AT http://stateofterror.blogspot.com/ OR http://avsecbostjan.blogspot.com/ TO LEARN EVERYTHING ABOUT WHO RUINED YOU, WHY, AND HOW !!!

WHERE NEWS IS TRUTH AND NOT 66 YEARS OLD LIE ATOP OF OTHER LIES !!!

November 12, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |