November 11th, 2011

Police: Fraternity pledge severely injured in paddling; 9 arrested

Nine South Carolina college fraternity members were arrested this week on hazing charges, accused of beating and severely injuring a pledge with a paddle, authorities said.

The victim, a Francis Marion University student who was pledging Phi Beta Sigma, was paddled at an off-campus residence on October 23 “to such an extent as to have resulted in serious bodily injury” requiring hospitalization, the Florence County Sheriff’s Office said in a news release.

CNN affiliate WBTW, citing investigators, reported that the victim suffered temporary injuries to his kidneys.

Florence County Sheriff’s Capt. Mike Nunn told CNN that his office wasn’t releasing details of the student’s injuries, but he said the student had “an extended hospital stay.”

The suspects - three Francis Marion students and six alumni, according to WBTW - were charged with hazing, a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of up to $500 and up to a year in jail.

The suspects appeared before a Florence County magistrate and have been released on $5,000 personal recognizance bonds, the sheriff’s office said.

“The arrest warrants allege that the suspects, each individually and collectively, committed the hazing by intentionally inflicting physical harm upon the victim in order for the victim to gain admission to the fraternity,” the sheriff’s office release said.

Nunn said the hospital treating the injured student contacted the sheriff’s office, triggering the office’s investigation.

Jimmy Hammock, international president of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc., said the fraternity’s headquarters has suspended the Francis Marion chapter.

“Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc. takes any form of reported hazing very seriously,” Hammock said. “Hazing has not and does not represent the tradition and principles of the 97-year history of our fraternity.

“Specifically pertaining to the unfortunate injury of the Francis Marion student, the fraternity has and will continue to work closely with the campus officials and the local police concerning this situation.”

The university did not respond to requests for comment Friday.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • South Carolina
  1. banasy©

@DJR:
    Epic.
    Yeah, they were.

November 12, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

Um, Avser, I don't think that the parents of the Norway shooting would agree with you...
    I only read that line, and it was enough.

November 12, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Peter the Great

Philip, I'm just gonna say one more thing – that when someone hates the author, they're sure as hell ain't gonna buy his books. Food for thought, my man.
    I wouldn't read your sh1t ever again if I were these girls.

November 12, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  4. McAfee

No, it wasn't. You didn't know the meaning of ad nauseum.

November 12, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. McAfee

Elder women? How old are they, 92? What, you don't like little old ladies? Your posts have barbs. No wonder they hate you. You can't even apologize (is that what that it?) Without being a douch. Damn!

Go Phi Sigma Kappa!

November 12, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. LV

I have read all of this thread, and I have read your posts in the past, too. Nothing that you said here is going to change what you've written in the past. If you think for one second that your attacking these women with the cruelty that you have is going to make them pay attention to your posts, your wrong. If I were ANY one of those people, I wouldn't give you the time a day ever again. That's what you deserve. You are a mean-spirited man whose message took a left turn after you started demeaning everyone. Harsh? Lmao! Harsh doesn't cut it. You were deliberatly hideous, and that isn't something that is going to ever change. Your words hurt ME, and I'm a bystander. You don't want people to focus on you, but you had no problem focusing on everybody else. Your the single most malignant human I have ever seen on these blogs, and that's saying something. If those people didn't ever tell this, I will. Phuck you!

November 12, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  7. dr.RUFFNUTT

i would have worn ten extra pairs of underwear...

November 12, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

God bless you, my GTG.
    In any way, shape or form that you decide to post here, I always know it's you.
    (I'm crying, too)
    Any name you choose to post under, you will always be my GTG.
    Always.
    You may p!ss me off at times, but one thing you will always be is my friend.
    Friends sometimes snark at each other; that's normal.
    I am so, so, so glad.
    Luvya, White Hat Man!
    ~Donna

November 12, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Philip

What else doesn’t banasy© believe…that obesity and pierced tattoo look of death grandma raise baby while go chase whatever is proactive? Enabler is a good thing? No wonder Paul ordered Timothy to drink wine till he returned. Nothing warmer than an pair of old ladies trying to make an emotional tsunami in a mud puddle. Yeah…drunk off my ass. [holes]. Bitty old ladies anyhow…gossip and heresay/idle chatter. The two of you haven’t the substance of a warm snail. (ahem) kchkchkchckc…hock a lugie splat.

November 12, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

Well said ‘banasy’. Yet, have you the courage to opost your views on the vile overly-practiced art of abortion?. No? You don’t. Why? Because you have turned the abuse of your own children into an excuse for your own loose public behaviors. You have sold the future of your oen offspring for a moment in the sun…basking on the warmth of fellow bloggers in exchange for your own daughter’ss eternal welfare.:)

November 12, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Philip

So stay on PROZAC for the rest of your life. And look at your own daughters FB page if you want to see the children I described above. You daughters filthy mouths, black makeup look of death are the spitting images of an abused child. A child raised by a mother whose mind has been artifically altered by years of addiction to PROZAC. Now deny that you are an addict Donna, and I will copy/paste texts from when we discussed this very subject a yr. ago. You can’t recall because of your addiction.

November 12, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Philip

What year did your son commit suicide, banasy? Do your really believe that he just up and did it? That it hadn’t been going on for a very long time inside his own mind. Yes, that is exactly what you think. You ARE in deep deep denial Doanna. I would help pull you out, but I am done throwing my pearls to your swine. (Deal. We will stop addressing ea. other here, and stop responding to ea. others posts. ty for suggesting that. Works for me)

November 12, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. @Banazi: FACT: Gay men lust for tight buttocks

I wish Banazi would realize the details of the dysfunctional family unit that produces littel girls wearing black makeup and boys who commit suicide. Was his father abusive?
    Was his mother an enabler? Was he given Ritalin or other narcootic by his own mom who proclaims that Prozac is good, even using that narcotic herself?
    Was his mom the sort of woman who refuses to accept the fact that priests are gay and is why they raype just boys?
    Or is she the kind of woman who helps these gay men hide as “perverts” rather than expose them as statutory raypeists?
    Was his mom herself an promiscuous woman who even hid dirty magazines in the home thinking the boy would not find? The dysfunctional family model is the model that tens of thousands of drug-free therapists use to examine what kind of families produce “problem children” with many who end-up comitting suicide out of desperation. Their children oftentimes runaway from, not school, but from HOME where they are being abused, and where their own mother helps the abuser(s) hide from the law. NEVER was their an child abuser without an enabler. NEVER. In homes, the enabler is generally the mother. Out in society, the enabler can be an entire religion or organization that tried to keep the abuse a secret, deciding among themselves what to do RATHER than calling the law. Even members of these churches and youth organizations who continually REFUSE to speak-out are themselves “enablers”. Without these people, the abusers simply could NOT get away with abusing and raypeing American children under the age of 18. And even after 18, can it truly be said that a child who grew-up in such a home is fully equipped to give consent to a gay or bi-gay man to sodomize him some more?
    @Banazi: FACT: Gay men lust The ONLY reason your catholic priests have gay seyx with boys is because they themselves are gay and filled with so much lust they even raype and sodomize children. Not just sick bassterds. sSick GAY bassterds. Get that STRAIGHT you old hag who helps them.

Big deal if gay priests lust, stalk, and repeatadly raype American youngsters. Big deal. Give the kids oparents an out of court settlement and be done with it. Party in my panities tonight boys? Sick old hag.

November 12, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ***YAWN***

November 12, 2011 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Donna

I have redefined what a friend is.
    "You may p!ss me off at times, but one thing you will always be is my friend."
    Said at a time before I found out I was an experiment.
    Never again.
    One can only burn so many bridges before someone decides the bridge shouldn't be rebuilt.
    And this one won't be.