November 11th, 2011

Police: Fraternity pledge severely injured in paddling; 9 arrested

Nine South Carolina college fraternity members were arrested this week on hazing charges, accused of beating and severely injuring a pledge with a paddle, authorities said.

The victim, a Francis Marion University student who was pledging Phi Beta Sigma, was paddled at an off-campus residence on October 23 “to such an extent as to have resulted in serious bodily injury” requiring hospitalization, the Florence County Sheriff’s Office said in a news release.

CNN affiliate WBTW, citing investigators, reported that the victim suffered temporary injuries to his kidneys.

Florence County Sheriff’s Capt. Mike Nunn told CNN that his office wasn’t releasing details of the student’s injuries, but he said the student had “an extended hospital stay.”

The suspects - three Francis Marion students and six alumni, according to WBTW - were charged with hazing, a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of up to $500 and up to a year in jail.

The suspects appeared before a Florence County magistrate and have been released on $5,000 personal recognizance bonds, the sheriff’s office said.

“The arrest warrants allege that the suspects, each individually and collectively, committed the hazing by intentionally inflicting physical harm upon the victim in order for the victim to gain admission to the fraternity,” the sheriff’s office release said.

Nunn said the hospital treating the injured student contacted the sheriff’s office, triggering the office’s investigation.

Jimmy Hammock, international president of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc., said the fraternity’s headquarters has suspended the Francis Marion chapter.

“Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc. takes any form of reported hazing very seriously,” Hammock said. “Hazing has not and does not represent the tradition and principles of the 97-year history of our fraternity.

“Specifically pertaining to the unfortunate injury of the Francis Marion student, the fraternity has and will continue to work closely with the campus officials and the local police concerning this situation.”

The university did not respond to requests for comment Friday.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • South Carolina
  1. ???

This is one fupped duck thread...Prozac isn't a narcotic, either...bizarre people you all are...

November 13, 2011 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  2. raven

And who could hold that against you? Assuming your daughters are promiscuous because they wear eyeliner? Shameful. Blaming you for Eric? Disgraceful. Calling you friend all the while ?Unforgivable.

November 13, 2011 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  3. cindy

Wow a gas mask is needed to read phillip's posts. He keeps stinking up the blogs cause he speaks out his bung hole. And the only way he can smile is by bending over.

November 13, 2011 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  4. NOLA

What an azzzz. Choose your friends better, sweetheart, glad you're cutting this one loose. He don't deserve a friend like you. I'll be your friend!

November 13, 2011 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  5. s kel

Philip I have been shot at and did some shooting back. If you spilled trash like that to me like you do Bansay.............you would get shot...

November 13, 2011 at 4:35 am | Report abuse |
  6. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Philip:
    Buon giorno–I'm practicing that language, hoping to resign from a job with six billion dollars.
    I asked you once to behave respectfully to banasy, and you said you would. I ask again. You're a man, and banasy is a lady. Sometimes, to be a gentlemen, one must ignore insults.
    I don't ignore women's statements in business, but that's because they got the vote a long time ago, so now we compete equally for the money.
    Regarding your invitation, I'm not going to debate (over coffee) HIV, RC priests, or gay men with you this morning: when I make a point, you often ignore it. Sometimes you condescendingly assert that I have to learn more to understand the reason for your being correct. Only a very stupid debate judge would give you points for that kind of cr-
    ap.
    Regards,
    Joey

November 13, 2011 at 5:59 am | Report abuse |
  7. Scottish Mama

@Philip-Yes that was me about the statistics. I posted in regard to your posts.(Support) I thought the doctor was you.
    I read everything after and was that you kinda apologizing to Banasy and then turned on her? One minute I was thinking you were okay and then it seemed you turned on her? What set that off, if that was you? Was it because she commented on the shootings? You may have to go back and read the posts, I have noticed you are fond of her (re; posting positive things)and then she gives her opinion and (bam) you turn on her. I have a feeling you hold her opinion in high regard and if she disagrees with you, you take it personally it seems. Just a thought. This is about you Philip, it has nothing to Banasy. Sit back a couple of days and read over it. What started it and what in you made you angry, then you will find out, then maybe you will not act out. When Banasy says something think about what she says and address what she says, not attack her and her family. Debate the issue, not Banasy. I think you are displacing your mother issue and tagging it with Banasy. Just my observation. Scottish.

November 13, 2011 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |
    • those were copy/pastes Scottish Mama

After the apology was made, everything else posted were copy/pastes from old threads. Some call this adding insult to injury, holding a grudge, hard heartedness, etc. And this idea of yours concerning this being about me and her.....the CIA World Factbook stats and Dr. Cantells decades of published research proving that it was none other than high-tech nazi pharamacologists and geneticists captured after WW2 that hepled found our own 'Special Virus Cancer Program' of 1964-1977 where gay men courageously volunteered to be experimented on....has zip squat to do with her. I can see where news of this program would have some wanting to focus on something...anything else though. The CIA proved that AIDS came from America and Dr. Cantwell proved how it happened. What blind flag waver wants to hear that kind of news?

November 14, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Eddy (10:18 PM) suggested that I might be Philip's boyfriend.
    If anybody here wants to think that I'm gay, it's fine with me. Some gay guys are among the strongest and best men I've ever met.

November 13, 2011 at 6:42 am | Report abuse |
  9. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Jazzzz:
    Guten Morgen!
    If you want to send me a valuable gift, please do not send "an understanding of God and his word" (sic).
    Please send a Rolls-Royce Phantom II, V, or VI. That's what I'd like for Christmas.
    BTW, I'd have capitalized God's "Word."

November 13, 2011 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |
  10. Scottish Mama

@JIF-Good Morning, are you off to the Gym or work?

November 13, 2011 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |
  11. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Scottish Mama:
    No gym! No work!
    I'm OFF today.
    Resting. Playing.
    I've overdone it recently.
    Off! Off!

November 13, 2011 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
  12. Scottish Mama

So what is this job at Billions, you must have stock options?lol

November 13, 2011 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
  13. Scottish Mama

The last time we spoke I was trying to indicate a name of yours without giving it out. I will not post anymore about it. I thought maybe you left confused?

November 13, 2011 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  14. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I don't think I used that family name on here. I wasn't confused. Nothing that happened in territorial times relates to my present, with the exception of my grandmother's manners and crossed figure sevens.
    I was referring to Brulusconi's resignation in Italy. He's got about six billion.
    I don't have, but...dreams and aspiration make the doughnuts every morning.

November 13, 2011 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
  15. Scottish Mama

I like a good doughnut in the morning but rarely do. I like the mom and pop joints though, the Krispy Kremes are too sugary. The locally owned doughnut places are becoming less and less. I will be cooking biscuits and gravy when everyone gets up this morning.

November 13, 2011 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |