Truth Squad: Fact checking the GOP debate
November 13th, 2011

Truth Squad: Fact checking the GOP debate

CNN's Truth Squad fact-checked some of the claims made at Saturday night's Republican presidential debate in Spartanburg, South Carolina. We'll take a look at some of the questions posed to the candidates, then share with you how they answered the question.

Romney: Repealing health plan will save billions

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney targeted the Affordable Care Act during Saturday's Republican candidates' debate in Spartanburg, South Carolina, saying a repeal would save billions of dollars.

The statement: "A lot of programs we like but we simply can't afford. The first one we'll eliminate, however, we're happy to get rid of. That's Obamacare. And that'll save us $95 billion by my fourth year," Romney said.

The verdict: True, but incomplete

Read why

Bachmann: CIA interrogation is lacking

The statement: During Saturday night's Republican candidates' debate on national security issues, Rep. Michele Bachmann of Minnesota said the United States has nowhere to take terrorists for interrogation and said the CIA does not interrogate anymore.

The verdict: Misleading

Read why

Santorum challenges Obama, Bush on Iran funding

The Statement: "I've been working on Iran since back in 2004 and proposed exactly the things that Herman and Mitt Romney suggested, which was to give money to the rebel forces there to help the pro-democracy movement and put tough sanctions in place. I was opposed by President Bush, and yet we were able to overcome that and pass the Iran Freedom and Support Act. I was able to get that done, and then President Bush didn't provide money for the pro-democracy movement and President Obama cut that money."

The verdict: Misleading

Read why

Bachmann challenges administration on deficit

The statement: "In October, we just added another $203 billion in debt. When you consider the last time that Republicans controlled the budget, it was 2007 and debt was $160 billion per year. For every man, woman and child in the United States, it means each of us took $650 in debt for the month of October," Bachmann said.

The verdict: True, but incomplete

Read why

Post by:
Filed under: Politics • Republican Party • U.S.
  1. William Roberts

CNN truth squad, now that's a oxymoron if I ever heard one.

November 13, 2011 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
    • A

Is should be the FOX truth squad.

November 13, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
    • A

Rather...."It" should be...

November 13, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
    • William Roberts

A- I do typos as well, no worries!

November 13, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
    • keith

It would be interesting to see if CNN did anything but softball "fact checks" on the democratic presidential candidates in 2007-08.

November 13, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  2. James Madison

This is why Obama will get reelected in a landslide... because the GOP has reps from Barnum and Bailey on stage.... and I'm NOT trying to be funny...

November 13, 2011 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

If Obama is elected again or is even considering it the planet will be completely desecrated and you do not want inter-dimensional beings to dine on your flesh and torture you for eternity,

November 13, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

HOW IS EVERYONE DOING AFTER JUDGEMENT DAY HAS BEEN PASSED? I HOPE NO ONE IS DEF BECAUSE YOUR LIFE IS A VERY SACRED THING.

November 13, 2011 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

I feel so bad for people right now that are disobeying god in the kingdom of god IN REALITY IN WHICH YOU EXIST.

November 13, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Dragonwind

Chris, Jesus himself said "My kingdom is not of this place, if it were, my followers would fight for me."

I think you need to go back and re-read your bible son, you obviously missed something.

November 13, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
    • sensible

@dragonwind.....shut up with your myths!

November 13, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • keith

Jesus is neither democrat nor republican, or even AMERICAN! A kingdom not of this world. Render to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's. When government is elevated to the status of our nanny/God, it takes away our freedom and our ability to think clearly. We have bought the lie that government is the primary vehicle for affecting our lives for better/worse. Here's a parable for those who have ears to hear: The government is like a big business, and most career politicians are the snake oil salesmen. CNN is nothing more than a paid endorser of this business, in addition to the other businesses who actually run advertisements through CNN TV channels and websites.

November 13, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • sensible

Keith.... Jesus would NEVER be a republican..... he disliked the rich..remember... "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into heaven"!!!

November 13, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • keith

Jesus is an independent

November 13, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. olepi

I noticed that Cain and Bachmann are both in favor of committing more War Crimes. Sheesh! Just what America needs!

November 13, 2011 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
    • William Roberts

What do you know about War?

November 13, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Dragonwind

Quite a bit. What do YOU know about it?

November 13, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
    • sensible

War: noun. Government sanctioned murder instigated by the rich and carried out by the poor.

November 13, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  4. Saiorse

Truth? Not in the world of politics. Water-boarding not a torture?? Well next to the Republican debates I guess they may be right. Each one of those candidates would slit the others throat on national TV if it meant gaining the office. President Obama is a weakened President in a bad economic election year; and the GOP comes up with the candidates they have,... clueless, and selfish. Jakkers what a mess!

November 13, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Palin 2012:
    Re "blindly follow the party..."
    I'm a Republican who voted for Obama. I'll vote for him again next year.
    In all of my long life I've voted for a Democratic presidential candidate only twice.
    I'm not greedy. I don't know what you consider "wealthy" or "powerful."

November 13, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  6. ipmutt

CNN and truth do not belong in the same sentence. A squad of CNN reporters makes it even less likely anything true will be put in print.

November 13, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  7. JayEm

If your looking for the truth, just ask Ron Paul.

November 13, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  8. Chris

Welcome to the universe citizens, you must obey the law, do not betray god, for he has created you and all of reality in which you exist, you must hold on to that.

November 13, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Dragonwind

Sorry, my pathetic excuse for a mother and my alcoholic and drug addict father created me on some beach in California. God had nothing to do with it.

November 13, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  9. whatisthis?

My Take: Keep government out of mind-reading business
    Editor's Note: Paul Root Wolpe, Ph.D., is director of Emory University’s Center for Ethics.

NEWTS CNN > waterboarding GOOD: "science" BAD.... FOXX...CNN... the same..........

November 13, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Rossko, to me, appears to be well educated regarding the subjects that he addressed. He certainly understands the principles of most members of the Republican Party.
    Basically, one educates himself, with or without the help of another person.
    Assuming that all conservatives are led by commentators is an example of the dependency that has brought our country to economic ruin.

November 13, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  11. leeintulsa

Does no one see how by condoning torture, we put our servicemen and women at risk? As long as we don't do it, we can hold it against others.. If we do it, why shouldn't they?

November 13, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  12. Tim

"The truth squad", is that like the Ministry of Virtue and Vice?
    I'd like to see all the facts Obama got wrong or was "misleading" on or incomplete when he was running.

November 13, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  13. Tank2

Thanks for the morning laugh! CNN and truth? Bwaaahhhahahahahha. That train left the station years ago.
    Next you'll be calling NPR unbiased!

November 13, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  14. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Chris,
    I don't believe what you believe. I don't believe that there is a God.
    What would it mean to you if you reconsidered your kingdom of god and concluded that it did not exist?
    What would you have then?

November 13, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  15. N

Why does God and religion ALWAYS get talked about with the GOP?

November 13, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |