November 16th, 2011

Prosecutor: Mother will be charged in boy's slaying

[Updated at 7:42 p.m. ET] The mother of a 1-year-old boy found dead in Missouri will be charged with killing him, the St. Louis County prosecutor told reporters Wednesday.

The mother, Shelby Dasher, will be charged with second-degree murder, prosecutor Bob McCulloch said.

The accusation comes after the medical examiner ruled that Tyler Daniel Dasher died from multiple blunt force trauma, McCulloch said.

"Ms. Dasher during the interrogation has acknowledged ... she repeatedly struck the baby, primarily because the baby was not cooperating; the baby was crying, the baby was not laying down and wouldn't go back to sleep," he said.

Tyler's body was found in a wooded area about a mile from his home Tuesday. He was reported missing earlier that day.

The mother had told investigators that she last saw the child when she put him to bed Monday night, according to CNN affiliate KSDK.

Authorities did not reveal how they believe the child's body got to the location where it was found.

An experienced police investigator at the scene quickly recognized that child abuse could be involved, St. Louis County Police Chief Tim Fitch told reporters.

"He recognized rather quickly that this just wasn't a missing person. That there was a lot more to this than just a baby that was discovered missing out of a bed," Fitch said.

Before prosecutors announced their plan to file charges, Shelby Dasher's friends defended her in interviews with KSDK.

"She didn't do it," said friend Emily Rowley. "Until those words come out of her mouth, I have all the faith in her."

Another friend, Holly Barton, told KSDK that she had never seen Dasher act suspiciously with her son.

"Tyler's her life. Any time I've ever seen them together, they both laugh and smile. I know that it's not her. I have all the faith in the world," she said.

Barton said she spoke briefly with Dasher on Tuesday after hearing that Tyler was missing.

"As soon as we hung up, she texted me and said, 'Just please pray,'" Barton told KSDK.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Missouri
  1. Jerry

So you show the child that you want him by killing him?

November 16, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patty Biller

time to get out "ol sparky"

November 16, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

@Portland tony:
    Nope, this is the same one.
    I saw her on the news this morning.
    I don't know if there is a picture of her; if so, is she a pretty blonde?
    Where's Scottish when we need her?

November 16, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Portland tony

@ banasy©
      The woman who police mention as murderer is dark haired according to ABC mug shot. Mom you were talking about is blond and has a missing kid named Sky or something similar.

November 16, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • ChristineLA

You are thinking of Sky Metalwala. This woman is not pretty or blonde, not that it makes her actions any more or less defensible.

November 16, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. bobcat (in a hat)

What is the matter with these people. How the hell can anyone do this to a child ? If you don't want your children, give them up for adoption. Don't kill them.

November 16, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

@Portland Tony:
    My apologies.

I guess you're right; something *is* going around!

This stinks.
    What is *wrong* with these women?

November 16, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

Hi, bc(iah)

I agree.
    There is nothing, and I mean *nothing* a child could say or do that would make me want to kill/hurt him/her...
    Especially ones that are so little and innocent...

There's a woman here in Chitown that was arrested for slamming a 16-month old child down on his head at a daycare center...

Sometimes, I just don't want to pick up a newspaper, turn on the TV, or turn on my phone; some days I just want to hide in a bubble of ignorance.

Some people don't deserve to breathe our oxygen, ya know?

November 16, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bobcat (in a hat)

Yeah I know banasy. This seems to be hitting epidemic proportions. Everyday now when you look in the news, it's another child abused / killed. I don't know what has happened to our society. It's just sickening.

November 16, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)

BTW I like the abbreviation.

November 16, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joan Crawford

Otay, Nazimama Robyn....

November 16, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

@bc(iah)
    Thanks. I think it's cute.

@Robyn:
    I don't know if you're talking to me or not, because the screen looks different on my blackberry; I don't have a reply feature.
    That's why I have to do this: @______.
    If you are, thanks, I know that now, due to Portland Tony.

November 16, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Roadsniper

Watch what happens in court on this one 1 st it will be a plea of insanity, than it will be a chemical imbalance. Than it will be the classic of i didnt mean to do it. It seems so strange that when women get together they are impowered, but when one of there own species does something bad they scatter, just like street thugs!!!!

November 16, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dolores

Species? I thought we were of the human species.

November 16, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • ChristineLA

Don't bother, Delores, whoever posted that in the first place clearly thinks other women somehow encourage mothers to kill their children. Something like that, anyway, I don't quite get the point, but he thinks that women are a species, and thugs to boot, so why should we waste our time trying to get to his point.

November 16, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Foghorn

Bunch of damm hickabillys whats wrong, are her teeth growing back? Or did her still run dry?

November 16, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Randy from Tulsa

This is gods will man.

November 16, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Sylvia

The baby "didn't cooperate" and so this "mother" hit him until he died. A one-year old baby! This evil woman needs to be incarcerated for life, but not before being neutered so she would not bring forth another unfortunate "uncooperative" infant.

November 16, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Roberto

Oy! Oy! And, so all women should have children, because they can? I work on a campus on the east coast. The hospital/research organizations there have programs for drug re-hab, pregnancy care for low-income/unwed mothers, etc., etc. Daily, I walk the campus from one building to another and see these souls. Such a sad state some of these poor people are in. Well, hell, that's humanity. It ain't never gonna change. Never. All one can do is try to care for those who seek it out.

November 16, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • ChristineLA

I'm sorry, do you think that child abuse and child murder is limited to the lower classes? Check your facts again.

November 16, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

What one-year-old cooperates?
    What one-year-old has the cognitive ability to process cooperation?
    I'm with you, Sylvia; spay that woman like the b1tch she is!

November 16, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Michele

Things like this have always happened in big cities and small towns across America. Difference is we didn't hear about much less comment on before the Internet. It was the fodder of local print newspapers. Still difficult to understand this kind of evil.

November 16, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |