November 16th, 2011

Prosecutor: Mother will be charged in boy's slaying

[Updated at 7:42 p.m. ET] The mother of a 1-year-old boy found dead in Missouri will be charged with killing him, the St. Louis County prosecutor told reporters Wednesday.

The mother, Shelby Dasher, will be charged with second-degree murder, prosecutor Bob McCulloch said.

The accusation comes after the medical examiner ruled that Tyler Daniel Dasher died from multiple blunt force trauma, McCulloch said.

"Ms. Dasher during the interrogation has acknowledged ... she repeatedly struck the baby, primarily because the baby was not cooperating; the baby was crying, the baby was not laying down and wouldn't go back to sleep," he said.

Tyler's body was found in a wooded area about a mile from his home Tuesday. He was reported missing earlier that day.

The mother had told investigators that she last saw the child when she put him to bed Monday night, according to CNN affiliate KSDK.

Authorities did not reveal how they believe the child's body got to the location where it was found.

An experienced police investigator at the scene quickly recognized that child abuse could be involved, St. Louis County Police Chief Tim Fitch told reporters.

"He recognized rather quickly that this just wasn't a missing person. That there was a lot more to this than just a baby that was discovered missing out of a bed," Fitch said.

Before prosecutors announced their plan to file charges, Shelby Dasher's friends defended her in interviews with KSDK.

"She didn't do it," said friend Emily Rowley. "Until those words come out of her mouth, I have all the faith in her."

Another friend, Holly Barton, told KSDK that she had never seen Dasher act suspiciously with her son.

"Tyler's her life. Any time I've ever seen them together, they both laugh and smile. I know that it's not her. I have all the faith in the world," she said.

Barton said she spoke briefly with Dasher on Tuesday after hearing that Tyler was missing.

"As soon as we hung up, she texted me and said, 'Just please pray,'" Barton told KSDK.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Missouri
  1. Eagle One

This woman will be punished forever by the spirit of her dead child. She will never know a moments peace.

November 17, 2011 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
    • KLS

If U.S. caselaw wants to avoid another Anthony situation, this woman will need to see punishment to the fullest extent of the law.

November 17, 2011 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
  2. Morgan

And to think I've always enjoyed driving past St. Louis' numerous cemeteries. I don't think I'll ever be able to drive past New St. Marcus again without feeling a pang for Tyler. It's sick and ridiculous how many children die here due to parental neglect and abuse. Poor little man. RIP.

November 17, 2011 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  3. John

Notice how all these children end up missing/dead after Anthony was found not guilty. I have a feeling these people are hoping for a similar outcome.

November 17, 2011 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  4. bettyboop33

she did it. she is guilty. come on now..... a crying baby.. all it needs is love and affection...not violence.....sigh !!! roll eyes oh my god!!!

November 17, 2011 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
    • robmas

"It was not cooperating." How the hell is a child supposed to do that? yes, Mom, I can read your bipolar mind and acclimate within the first three months of my life? So many stories, so many children...we weep for you.

November 17, 2011 at 3:24 am | Report abuse |
  5. wisdom4u2

It's sad the sweet little boy had to die at the very hands that held him, feed him....etc. A more loving mother knows the cries of her child....she knows which pitch of a cry means hunger, or gas, or wet diaper, or just plain tired and sleepy...a baby/toddler have a language that most caring moms understand. Poor little child, his mom didn't want to understand his pleas.

November 17, 2011 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  6. JUSTSAD

This is just to sad..RIP Little one.....

November 17, 2011 at 2:29 am | Report abuse |
  7. mac jones

If your unstable enough having a child is a death sentence (or worse) for them, and a life in jail sentence for yourself: A misery for your family. So in other words: If your nuts, and/or have an uncontrollable temper DO NOT HAVE CHILDREN

November 17, 2011 at 2:51 am | Report abuse |
  8. AMERICA1st

How bout slamming that womans head again a brick wall for killing that precious young child!

November 17, 2011 at 3:53 am | Report abuse |
  9. realitychk

We need public hangings again. In 30 days one appeal is allowed. If quilty, take them out of the court house and hang them. If she was my sister, mother, or wife I'd save the taxpayers the trouble!

November 17, 2011 at 5:31 am | Report abuse |
  10. Roy

What a complete sick low-life she is... She need's to be stood up and shot in the head forget trail just a waste of money and time...

November 17, 2011 at 5:42 am | Report abuse |
  11. Know the Reason

Though the act calls for a severe punishment in the human world and though she will suffer her entire life because of the curse she has brought upon herself from God and that innocent child, I still believe it was to be an act of frustration and impulsive anger which was supposed to remain for a short period and cause no harm but when your human records up there starts to beep red, anything small can aggravate situations and lead to something so serious that heavy suffering, acute repentance and a horrible death only can help her forget the deed.

November 17, 2011 at 6:08 am | Report abuse |
  12. PJ

When a baby cries, the parent is biologically wired to respond and hopefully alleviate distress in the child. Problem is, if the crying continues and the parent becomes even more anxious and distressed themselves, they may well tend to lose control. Thankfully, most parents can calm both the child and themselves down, the nurturing and soothing instinct having gained the upper hand. Tragically, this did not happen for Tyler.

November 17, 2011 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
  13. Steven

i really have no opinion as i wasnt there,,it amazes me that think cops are never wrong n that they never lie .Being tried in the court of public opinion by peolpe that have no idea of what the're talking about ,,

November 17, 2011 at 6:25 am | Report abuse |
    • M in Oz

NEWSFLASH...the woman admitted it (and you really need to get over your resentment of police).

November 17, 2011 at 6:42 am | Report abuse |
  14. JH

I am unable to have kids. My husband and I read stories like this and we get really upset. That lil boy deserved so much more. It breaks my heart. She didn't want I would have taken him. So sad. You are now one of God's angels. You can never be hurt again. R.I.P baby boy!!!!

November 17, 2011 at 6:32 am | Report abuse |
  15. M in Oz

Wow a 1yr old wouldn't "co-operate"? Why do people like this have children if they expect them to be university graduates who can give long speeches rather than crying all within the first year? I hope she is eligible for the death sentence.

November 17, 2011 at 6:41 am | Report abuse |