November 16th, 2011

Prosecutor: Mother will be charged in boy's slaying

[Updated at 7:42 p.m. ET] The mother of a 1-year-old boy found dead in Missouri will be charged with killing him, the St. Louis County prosecutor told reporters Wednesday.

The mother, Shelby Dasher, will be charged with second-degree murder, prosecutor Bob McCulloch said.

The accusation comes after the medical examiner ruled that Tyler Daniel Dasher died from multiple blunt force trauma, McCulloch said.

"Ms. Dasher during the interrogation has acknowledged ... she repeatedly struck the baby, primarily because the baby was not cooperating; the baby was crying, the baby was not laying down and wouldn't go back to sleep," he said.

Tyler's body was found in a wooded area about a mile from his home Tuesday. He was reported missing earlier that day.

The mother had told investigators that she last saw the child when she put him to bed Monday night, according to CNN affiliate KSDK.

Authorities did not reveal how they believe the child's body got to the location where it was found.

An experienced police investigator at the scene quickly recognized that child abuse could be involved, St. Louis County Police Chief Tim Fitch told reporters.

"He recognized rather quickly that this just wasn't a missing person. That there was a lot more to this than just a baby that was discovered missing out of a bed," Fitch said.

Before prosecutors announced their plan to file charges, Shelby Dasher's friends defended her in interviews with KSDK.

"She didn't do it," said friend Emily Rowley. "Until those words come out of her mouth, I have all the faith in her."

Another friend, Holly Barton, told KSDK that she had never seen Dasher act suspiciously with her son.

"Tyler's her life. Any time I've ever seen them together, they both laugh and smile. I know that it's not her. I have all the faith in the world," she said.

Barton said she spoke briefly with Dasher on Tuesday after hearing that Tyler was missing.

"As soon as we hung up, she texted me and said, 'Just please pray,'" Barton told KSDK.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Missouri
  1. Scottish Mama

It was a sad day. A couple walking their dog found the boy off a main drag under a bush, about 3 hours after his mother said she woke up and found the crib empty. They took her down to the police station immedialtely. They found the estranged father, and the grandmother(Shelby Dasher lived with her mom in a 2 bedroom home). They were at the police station about 14-16 hours when she confessed, The next morning they brought her to the cemetary(wooded area) and to the home.(recreation/crime/filmed)Sad day when a child is murdered by a mother. This 20 year old mothers life is over. A little boy is gone. 1 Act of rage. I just wish she would have waited 10 minutes or taken him to a firehouse or to a hospital. Shame.

November 17, 2011 at 7:04 am | Report abuse |
  2. Nunyr

I hope she spends the rest of her miserable, trashy, useless life in prison.

November 17, 2011 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Gort01

Hey Nunyr: go to the store right now, you need to get a heart, some compassion and more importantly, some soap to wash your hateful, uncaring and insensitive mouth out with....2o years old.....were you so much more mature and perfect....i dont thing sol..shut up then

November 17, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Cin9009

Hey Gort01 – The mom is 20 not 12. She is old enough to know that you don't beat/hit/shake your baby and then throw him in the woods. Maybe we should stop making so many excuses for people who kill their kids.

November 17, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Sasser

Gort01- Really? Are you sticking up for this ADULT that murdered her own son?! Think about what you're saying before you start spewing nonsense. Maturity has little to do with the fact that she killed her baby boy in an act of rage.

November 17, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Amanda

Gort you can't seriously be standing up and asking people to have compassion for a mother that killed a child.... really?

November 17, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  3. sad day

At least this wonder didn't turn it into another anthony media event. This one will get what she rightfully deserves, a nice jail cell fully furnished..

November 17, 2011 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Kristal

casey anthony is a cold blooded baby murderer -shame on that bunch of ignorant juriors

November 17, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  4. TexMan

Too bad she did not have an abortion or use birth control.

November 17, 2011 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Thomas

I agree. And perhaps the same question could be levied on her parents.

November 17, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  5. Bill

Oh, yeah, they'll really throw the book at her....at least a year (2 days due to overcrowding)in jail and 6 weeks probation! What a disgusting situation when we press to lock up even "accused" people and let poor, misunderstood mon's who used bad judgement slide!

November 17, 2011 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jennifer

This is what parenting has appeared to come to. This is a traditional family? With all these childre being brought into the world by people that choose to not be married, choose to not exercise patience, choose to not accept that the life of "I" is over.....the children pay the price. I am aware that not all parents react to the pressures of parenting in the same manner. However, we are seeing, reading, and hearing way too much of this. If people are going to create children, willingly or by the hook-up of the night then TAKE CARE OF THEM and be responsible for thier well-being, their housing, their food, and their RIGHT to a good, happy, and constructive upbrining. Children are a gift, and parenting is a blessing. Did the grandmother in the home not hear this happening??? This story and the ones like it are just disgusting, and sad.

November 17, 2011 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
    • MomndNewsJunkie

Jennifer, take heart, please...there are about 385 million people in the US.Statistically, we hear so few stories like this reported in the news. The larger percentage of parents, single moms and dads included, are good parents who love their children and who would never think of doing such things.

November 17, 2011 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

Jennifer, I completely agree with you. How could someone actually strike out and punch a baby? It's very sick and it infuriates me. If this girl lived with her mother, she must have had at least a little help from her. Young mothers, If you are overwhelmed when your baby is crying, ask for help. Ask Grandma, Grandpa, friends, siblings, anyone! Do not resort to trying to "force" your child to be quiet, or you may end up with a dead child. And trust me, you WILL regret your mistake. Don't rule out praying when you are overwhelmed by life.

November 17, 2011 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Deb

You are exactly right, Jennifer. Instead of 'parents' we now have a variety of 'baby-mamas' and 'baby-daddys'. This is the "me-me-me" generation.

November 17, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Tracey

Being unmarried does not make you a bad parent. Being a selfish, immature child does. As an unmarried, exceptional mother of 2, I am completely offended that you would even use that as a reason that someone would kill their child.

November 17, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • kbab

I'm with Tracey on this. As a single mother who has never been married I am offened. Just because someone choses to not get married doesn't mean that they are going to murder their children. I have a fantastic 5 year old that I have never hit. Please don't start amking judgement calls on groups of people when you really have no clue.

November 17, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  7. teremist

I have been at my wits end. My first child had colic for the first 6 months. He cried every waking moment. The doctors offered no help. (He will outgrow it, they said.) More than once I literally fell asleep walking the floor with him in my arms. Some days I cried all day too, there seemed to be no end to it. Then one day at 6 months old, it just stopped, and he was a fat happy guy. I have always said it was the grace of God that got us through those 6 months. I know I am not that strong. When I read about mothers that have "lost it," and harmed or killed their child, part of me remembers that there, but for the grace of God, go I. It never occurred to me to harm him, but I did fantasize about just running away.

November 17, 2011 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Tracy

I love your post, because I can relate as well. I had PPD when my daughter had colic, and more than once I closed my eyes and wanted to die myself. Luckily my husband was aware of the warning signs and took me to see my doctor, who immediately referred me to a psychiatrist. The bottom line is, while little ones can be trying and exhausting, the frustration does not really get easier as they grow. There are times that even now I'm overwhelmed (and they are teenagers now). These young mothers seem to have nobody around them that cares enough, or is smart enough, to pick up on the warning signs.

November 17, 2011 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  8. Robert Johnston

The anger that I feel as one who survived an abusive childhood is heavy. However, the one year old in this story could have easily been me if fate had decreed it to be so. Mom will be looking at "Hell In A Cell" to finish her lifetime–and a relocation trip there after death. SO BE IT! –RKJ

November 17, 2011 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  9. Ryan

Let her rot in prison. Let her feel the sting of taking her own son's life. She may be young now and have little remorse, but give it time to sink in. Not to mention, baby killers, rapists, and child molesters certainly don't have the best time when locked up. I hope she is beaten within inches of her life DAILY by fellow inmates so she knows what it feels like to be defenseless. All of that OR just put a bullet in her on the courthouse steps in front of a crowd. Worthless garbage doesn't deserve to share my oxygen. I'd pay $10 bucks to see that.

November 17, 2011 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Kim

This is the only post that I agree with. She needs exactly what she gave that baby. Someone needs to beat her to death. No other punishment should be acceptable.

November 17, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  10. Marci

Rest in Peace little guy. I wish I could have saved you.

November 17, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  11. Marisa

Sadly the ME ME ME generation was created by people who think it is wrong to dicipline a child. They have forgotten the rules of behavior and respect. It's amazing that the majority of these stories involve young mothers that are not married, still live at home and expect someone else to take care of their children. Last time I checked, birth control was free at the health department and parenting classes are offered at the health department. At what point do parents of this generation take responsibility for this mess? And this is the generation that I have to depend on for my future. Good job people!

November 17, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Ryan

Just remember your generation raised ours

November 17, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Marisa

No my generation didn't raise these pieces of lazy worthless crap. Get some balls and make your children earn what you give them, don't just give them because you want them to raise themselves and stay out of your haire so you can party it up. If you chose to have children, then you need to be ADULT enough to disipline them. I am 30 years old and to this day if I back talked my mom, she would smack me in the mouth. I see kids that are 8 that back talk their parents and they just say Oh it's OK, he/she didn't mean it. BS TAKE CONTROL. Your generation is worthless.

November 17, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
    • wisdom4u2

@ Marisa ~~~~ I know that's right! My mom is 91 and I wouldn't dare back talk her...and she has dementia. It's just that I honor her...I may not agree with her, but I must honor her. Her womb was the first home that housed me...for that alone she has my honor.

November 17, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ldy Bug

This makes me sick to my stomach. And to all of you that are so quick to talk nasty about single mothers raising babies on their own. Sometime us single mothers are that way because it was best for our children. I love my daughter and put her every need ahead of my own and I am sick of people making it out to be terrible that some children are raised by single parents. This is not about being a single parent this is about being selfish and not having any respect for human life! Some single parents are good parents

November 17, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Sasser

I totally agree with you. If it were the 'baby-daddy' that killed the baby people would be chastising the mother for allowing him around her child. Keep your head up, you're doing fine 😉

November 17, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Amanda

Completely agree. This has nothing to do with being a single parent. I'm a single mom, and would never kill my own child.

November 17, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  13. Lana

Why is it that it's ok for her to beat her son to death but we can't do the same to her? What gives her the right to live? She didn't give her son the right to live!! I'm so sick of these people that get away with this stuff with a slap on the hand. These poor babies are suffering horrible, unspeakable deaths!

November 17, 2011 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Scratcher

Why is it alright to ASSUME someone is guilty of a crime they are charged with before the facts come out?

November 17, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  14. Scratcher

Charged does not equal guilty. Think people. Theres a whole new world outside the media box.

November 17, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Amanda

You're right. Charged does not equal guilty. However she has admitted and confessed. That plays a large part in most peoples opinions. She admitted to repeatedly striking the baby because he wouldn't "cooperate" and go to sleep.

November 17, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  15. Scratcher

Some of you would make terrible jurors. You base your decisions on emotions rather than fact.

November 17, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |