White House shooting suspect to be charged with assassination attempt
Oscar Ramiro Ortega-Hernandez was arrested in Pennsylvania. Investigators allege he was involved in a shooting outside the White House last week.
November 17th, 2011

White House shooting suspect to be charged with assassination attempt

A man accused of firing shots near the White House last week will be charged with attempting to assassinate the president or a member of his staff, a federal prosecutor said Thursday.

Oscar Ramiro Ortega-Hernandez, 21, of Idaho, was arrested in western Pennsylvania on Wednesday. Investigators believe he was involved in a shooting Friday night that may be responsible for two bullets found on the White House exterior on Tuesday, according to the Secret Service.

One bullet hit a window and was stopped by bulletproof glass, and another was found on the White House exterior, the Secret Service said.

Ortega-Hernandez will be charged with attempted assassination, Assistant U.S. Attorney Jimmy Kitchen said at Ortega-Hernandez's first federal court hearing Thursday.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • District of Columbia
  1. Shawn

I agree that he should be charged with an assassination attempt, but I don't agree in 10 months when Obama says "I was almost assassinated"

November 17, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • serdich

Hello, anyone here interested in Shawn thinks..neither do I ?

November 17, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • government cheese

I do. I wouldn't put anything past Obama. He said that he was in the Selma, Alabama Civil Rights marches, when he was born three years later.

November 17, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff Williams

"""Obama. He said that he was in the Selma, Alabama Civil Rights marches, when he was born three years later."""

Total rubbish. Did you hear this on Limbaugh's show?

November 17, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Josh Davis

I don't think that Obama would be wrong in saying that attempts have been made on his life based on this incident.

November 17, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shawn

Sorry. I was dropped on my head as an infant.

November 17, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Tatu

@he always complained that his freedom was taken away.... mow his freedom will be taken away for sure 🙂

November 17, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ted

I'm surrised that cnn is even reporting this considering the shooter is mexican.

November 17, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • CW

I'm surprised you can (almost) form a complete sentence.

November 17, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • aNN

i'm surrised too, whatever that is

November 17, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • D

It says he's from Idaho.

November 17, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • MattyJ

When did Idaho move to Mexico?

November 17, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. CPW

I think this is this guy's "OOPS" moment. Hope you enjoy jail thanks for wasting my money.

November 17, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • SB

Are you talking about the shooter or Obama?

November 17, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Gold Dragon (evolved dragonex)

It should read "he will be charged attempting to assassinate the president, his family, and his staff members. Sheesh. And I'm moving up there this weekend.

November 17, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Eric

Darn clean cut hard working right wingers trying to kill Oblamer

November 17, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. huskersrock1

A member of OWS tried to assassinate the POTUS!

November 17, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bri

You think CNN, MSNBC, ABC, NBC, or CBS will report that? Not a chance! The MSM must shield these "Occupiers" from bad media attention. But those with a brain see right through it. He represents OWS. Plain and simple.

November 17, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Martin

Assassination attempt? Really? Sounds like this was a drive by shooting that had some bullets that went out of control, as they tend to do in these sorts of attacks.

Bad choice to do this near the White House, but hardly an assassination attempt. A good lawyer will manage to get this guy off these charges based on the fact that the prosecutors are over charging him.

This most recently happened with Casey Anthony. The over charged her without sufficient evidence, she escaped justice. If she'd have been charged with second degree murder she would probably be in prison right now.

November 17, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Josh Davis

I disagree, links.

November 17, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  9. a disgrace

no one goes near obama! the last thing america needs is to turn this failure into another kennedy and have to hear how great he was for the next 100 years!! just letthis disgrace of a presidency end and then forget he ever existed!!

November 17, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • CindySF

I guess you will be whining when he is re-elected, because he will be, just look at the republican candidates.

November 17, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Common Sense

Don't worry he'll be out of the White House by 2017!

November 17, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack's Mom

Obama may get a third term. Did you hear Perry thinks Pelosi is a GOP candidate? He wants to debate her for the nomination.

November 17, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jack

What a crock of horse manure...nothing more than an overzealous prosecutor trying to throw the book at this guy. Obviously he should be locked up, but any moron with an ounce of sense knows this guy did not actually try to "assassinate the President." What a load. Thanks again for wasting the taxpayers' dollars with this utter nonsense!

November 17, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • towac

sure .. just let everyone and anyone shoot at the white house.. granted, i'm sure he was attempting to make a statement rather then actually hit a person.. regardless, you can't be shooting at presidents and not expect to get the book thrown at you.

November 17, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Josh Davis

If someone shoots at my house they better be charged with attempted murder. Idiot.

November 17, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack

I'm going to hang around here and post "thanks for wasting my money" under fifty different names until my mommy comes home. Then I'll have JellO.

November 17, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Maximus

I do not agree with him for shooting at the White House. But to call it an assassination attempt seems like a stretch

November 17, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Josh Davis

If someone shot at your house you are an idiot if you would settle for anything less than attempted murder.

November 17, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Chris

Wonder when CNN and Co. will investigate if he's associated with the Occupy movement.

November 17, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Just my opinion

They won't, that would make OWS look bad

November 17, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • D

Is there any indication he is? I wonder if they'll investigate whether he's a part of the Tea Party, since God told him to kill Obama.

November 17, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack's Mom

No, he's from Idaho. Nearly everyone there is a radical or white supremacist.

November 17, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. CindySF

Good riddance. I don't care what political side of the aisle you are on, we must always protect the president no matter who it is. If we can't protect our president as a nation, it shows a sign of weakness in my opinion.

November 17, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Rose

Ted...what is that suppose to mean?

November 17, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Reggie

Doesn't matter who his lawyer is. Bullets from his gun hit the White House. See ya in 20 years man.

November 17, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |