White House shooting suspect to be charged with assassination attempt
Oscar Ramiro Ortega-Hernandez was arrested in Pennsylvania. Investigators allege he was involved in a shooting outside the White House last week.
November 17th, 2011

White House shooting suspect to be charged with assassination attempt

A man accused of firing shots near the White House last week will be charged with attempting to assassinate the president or a member of his staff, a federal prosecutor said Thursday.

Oscar Ramiro Ortega-Hernandez, 21, of Idaho, was arrested in western Pennsylvania on Wednesday. Investigators believe he was involved in a shooting Friday night that may be responsible for two bullets found on the White House exterior on Tuesday, according to the Secret Service.

One bullet hit a window and was stopped by bulletproof glass, and another was found on the White House exterior, the Secret Service said.

Ortega-Hernandez will be charged with attempted assassination, Assistant U.S. Attorney Jimmy Kitchen said at Ortega-Hernandez's first federal court hearing Thursday.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • District of Columbia
  1. Tony

Get a life Alan.

November 17, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mikeisme

Assassination attempt? Freaking feds would charge Jesus for attempting to avoid sin taxes by turning water into wine.

November 17, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • DCLOVE

He hit a window! If you have ever been around the white especially the backside of the White House you would know that you can clearly see people walking by the windows all the time. I’m sure he sat there watching and thought he could actually get through the glass. This is an obvious assassination case! Whether it was the President, a member of staff or his own family he shot the gun into the window for a purpose – to kill, harm or injure.

November 17, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. HNl

If Obama is a dictator, pigs can fly. You obviously don't know what a real dictator is. Try moving to Syria or China, you will know what a dictator is.

November 17, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • JB

The Swine Flu!

November 17, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. D

Glad to see the crazies are out in full force already. Undereducated, easily swayed, believe the GOP drivel...I'm not surprised Obama would be called a dictator or some moron here in the comments would wish death on him. I can't wait until you people are raptured. Oh wait!

November 17, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. mazna

Zorro.....horrible horrible comment. You should be ashamed of yourself.

November 17, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • CaptainJack1

I looked for a Zorro and couldn't find the comment. But, I think I can guess what he said, and you're right, it's a horrible comment.

November 17, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Lynn

Amazing the comments that are made when a bullet doesn't have a name on it. It could have easily hit an innocent person. I think it's a tragedy that a 21-year old would throw away his entire life. I'm sure his parents are devastated.

November 17, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Kevin O.

Whatever. This is more than likely another distraction just like digging up the Jon Benet Ramsey files.

November 17, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. david donalson,atlanta ga

Zorro and Alan,i have contacted the Secert Service to get in contact with the 2 of you for your comment..

Its one thing to excercise your right to freedome of speech but this is way out of box..

I hope you go to jail!!

November 17, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr. Sunshine

LMAO you did not such thing.

November 17, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • JACK SPARROW

YOUR KIDDING RIGHT? No matter what anyone "says" is it really something you wish jail time for?I dont know what the man said but its a far stretch to want imprisonment based on what someone said.

I guess free speech is gone.

November 17, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • JACK SPARROW

Oh and while we are at it...what is this boundary line? when you draw lines on what CAN and CANT be said, you no longer have FREE speech

November 17, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. wassamatteru11

one of the 99% – figures!!!!!!!

November 17, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. the situation

@Alan

You are an idiot! I guess it's okay to kill the president because of the obivious but if it was Dubya, you would be screaming, "hang the terrorist"!

November 17, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mr. Sunshine

Um I hardly think so, Obama wasn't even there. This is an absolute joke of a charge.

November 17, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  12. lagtat

my reply was for that moron who said obama was a dictator.

November 17, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Louise

He is an idiot. First he probably voted for Obama, and then he tried to kill him.

November 17, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • JACK SPARROW

he didnt get his change

November 17, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Nikki

Funny. Bullet casings were found. And the supposed weapon was a shotgun. Hmm, shotguns must have EXCELLENT range, for one. I smell BS.

November 17, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • JB

I've heard rifle(30.06), handgun, first I've heard of shotgun, but that would be impossible if the distance was in fact anywhere near 800 yards.

November 17, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nikki

Yep. Just sounds awfully fishy to me.

November 17, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Judge Judy

Rule with an iron fist! I'M SPEAKING!!!!!

November 17, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |