Overheard on CNN.com: Cougartown roars over celebrity split
Demi Moore said she plans to divorce Ashton Kutcher. The couple began dating in 2003 and married in 2005.
November 18th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Cougartown roars over celebrity split

Editor's note: Readers have a lot to say about stories, and we're listening. Overheard on CNN.com is a regular feature that examines interesting comments and thought-provoking conversations posted by the community

"Their marriage lasted six years longer than Kim Kardashian's."
- trankwill

So Demi Moore is planning to divorce Ashton Kutcher "with great sadness and a heavy heart." The marriage between Moore, 49, and Kutcher, 33, attracted a lot of attention because of the couple's age difference. Today is truly a sad day in Cougartown, and commenters are busy debating what it all means and sharing their experiences with similar relationships.

Demi Moore says she is divorcing Kutcher

Commenters picked sides in some cases. A lot of them rooted for Moore. mikelayai said, "Good move, Demi. This guy is such an obnoxious loser. I don't know how you put up with him for six years."

Others said Kutcher realizes he has plenty of other options. Kevininvanco said, "Can you blame Ashton? Demi looks like a senior citizen compared to some of the up-and-coming young girls that Ashton works with."

Some turned to the age-old cougars debate for answers. "This is the logical conclusion in this story," Benny Blanco said. " 'Cougars' want cubs. Cubs will grow up and want a cub too. Try not to act so surprised, ladies."

"It makes me laugh at these 20 somethings that think [Moore] is old," wfrobinette said. "Your life will fly by so fast you be in your 40's before you know what hit you. That is if you are lucky enough to do so."

xdougx and others put themselves in Kutcher's shoes. "I dated an older woman. It's all good when it's just about sex. As soon as she starts pushing for a relationship, take my advice and get the heck out of there."

But siracco said, "I have to congratulate Demi for sticking to her values. Many Hollywood wives have had to compromise theirs to hold on to their man."

Many said they have low expectations for celebrity marriages. chikumisra said, jokingly, "I just can't believe it.  This surely must be the first time a Hollywood couple is getting divorced.  They are typically known for their faith, fidelity, loyalty, stability.  I don't know what could have happened to cause this. "

And others, like Andre Guerrero, said the debate was "silly":

"Everyone here makes it seem like Ashton Kutcher is a baby and Demi Moore is a granny. He is in his 30s and she is in her 40s. Doesn't that put them both in the 'ADULT, I need to take responsibility for my actions,' category? Ashton and Demi lasted a really long time (marriage and dating) by today's standards. They are two people ending their marriage, either because one of them had an error in judgement or because they simply fell out of love. It has nothing to do with their age differences. People just change and want different things in life. Wanting change is manifested in their behavior, whether they realize it or not. Age is not an excuse for justify good/bad behavior."

LoudSilence said the institution of marriage is outdated. "We live in the USA. A country where people are free to live together unmarried or have sex with no attachment. Monogamy is no longer forced upon us. So why do people who cannot be monogamous get married promising to be faithful? People need to start being honest first with themselves then with others."

What's your take? Join the conversation below and in the latest stories on CNN.com. Or sound off on video via CNN iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrity • Overheard on CNN.com • Showbiz
  1. gung hoe

Whats all the fuss divorce happens in this society that we live in.,to much so in my opinion get bored just pack it up and move on

November 18, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  2. BOMBO

Good riddance. She would have been 65 in a couple of years, and he would have been the sole breadwinner.

November 18, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

This is such a non-story, it's unbelievable.
    The real story was how they lasted so long.
    Cougartown is up in arms; Cougartown couldn't care less.

Way to take the thunder away from Courtney Cox...

November 18, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. RUFFNUTT ( PEOPLE FOR FREE AIR ON MARS & MUNTANT RIGHTS ACTIVIST )

I LIKE HER.. i would knock her up if she still had fertile eggs instead of rotten ones..

November 18, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. toad

Why isnt this on the entertainment blog? People over there would love to hear about it. BTW she is sooo old and wrinkly I feel bad for her. If she got preggo at 18, then her daughter at 18, then her granddaughter at 18, in 5 years she could have been a great gramma ! That is ooooold.

November 18, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. settled

ive been married a lil over a year but i am already bored but i have to make the best of it becuase marriage is forever

November 18, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO

It must depend on the people. I've been married 14 years. I'll let you know when I get bored.

November 18, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

@settled:
    I am sure the feeling is mutual with your spouse.

November 18, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. CNN's Nicole Saidi

Some of you are mentioning that this is an entertainment story on the news blog, and I understand your concerns. If you look at today's news on CNN.com, this was one of the most popular stories and also one of the most-commented pieces today. That's why you're seeing it here. We feature comments on a variety of topics on Overheard on CNN.com. Stories appeal to different audiences, and it is impossible to please everyone; and it's important to note that CNN itself encompasses a huge variety of subject matter. Aaaaand ... this feature lives on This Just In, and we're evaluating the best way to share users' commentary. That being said, I'd appreciate your suggestions. Thanks as always for reading.

November 18, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. RUFFNUTT ( PEOPLE FOR FREE AIR ON MARS & MUNTANT RIGHTS ACTIVIST )

she old.. but still doable..

November 18, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

I've been with my husband for 23 years, married for 18. I have *never* been bored with him...I doubt I ever will be!

November 18, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio)"Right Wing Insanity"

My wife and I have been married 36 years. Then I read about this hype. Kardashian...isn't she on a work release program of some kind?

November 18, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. BklynBabe

Age likely has nothing to do with it. He's being a horndog and she is unwilling to go along with it Ala Hilary Clinton. Marriages break up for lots of reasons that have nothing to do with what is considered the obvious, in this case age.

Celebrity and everyday women alike get cheated on by men their own age and older on a regular basis.

November 18, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • mejazzbo

Celebrity and everyday MEN alike get cheated on by WOMEN of any age on a regular basis.

November 20, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  13. Demi Moore

What's that sonny? Speak into the horn so granny can hear.

November 18, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. bobcat (in a hat)

Their whole marriage was nothing but a hollywood hype deal to start with. He was looking for name recognition and she was doing a keep up with cher. She is a very pretty woman and he was just a young man who thought with nothing more than his "head".

November 18, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  15. bigwilliestyles

My take on this is the hypocrisy/double standard. An older man takes a young woman, he is a creep, cradle robber, perv, goat, etc. An older woman hunts younger men, she is a "cougar". It really only proves that, given the opportunity, women slime around just as much as men; but, as always, their pr functions better.

November 18, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |