Overheard on CNN.com: Cougartown roars over celebrity split
Demi Moore said she plans to divorce Ashton Kutcher. The couple began dating in 2003 and married in 2005.
November 18th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Cougartown roars over celebrity split

Editor's note: Readers have a lot to say about stories, and we're listening. Overheard on CNN.com is a regular feature that examines interesting comments and thought-provoking conversations posted by the community

"Their marriage lasted six years longer than Kim Kardashian's."
- trankwill

So Demi Moore is planning to divorce Ashton Kutcher "with great sadness and a heavy heart." The marriage between Moore, 49, and Kutcher, 33, attracted a lot of attention because of the couple's age difference. Today is truly a sad day in Cougartown, and commenters are busy debating what it all means and sharing their experiences with similar relationships.

Demi Moore says she is divorcing Kutcher

Commenters picked sides in some cases. A lot of them rooted for Moore. mikelayai said, "Good move, Demi. This guy is such an obnoxious loser. I don't know how you put up with him for six years."

Others said Kutcher realizes he has plenty of other options. Kevininvanco said, "Can you blame Ashton? Demi looks like a senior citizen compared to some of the up-and-coming young girls that Ashton works with."

Some turned to the age-old cougars debate for answers. "This is the logical conclusion in this story," Benny Blanco said. " 'Cougars' want cubs. Cubs will grow up and want a cub too. Try not to act so surprised, ladies."

"It makes me laugh at these 20 somethings that think [Moore] is old," wfrobinette said. "Your life will fly by so fast you be in your 40's before you know what hit you. That is if you are lucky enough to do so."

xdougx and others put themselves in Kutcher's shoes. "I dated an older woman. It's all good when it's just about sex. As soon as she starts pushing for a relationship, take my advice and get the heck out of there."

But siracco said, "I have to congratulate Demi for sticking to her values. Many Hollywood wives have had to compromise theirs to hold on to their man."

Many said they have low expectations for celebrity marriages. chikumisra said, jokingly, "I just can't believe it.  This surely must be the first time a Hollywood couple is getting divorced.  They are typically known for their faith, fidelity, loyalty, stability.  I don't know what could have happened to cause this. "

And others, like Andre Guerrero, said the debate was "silly":

"Everyone here makes it seem like Ashton Kutcher is a baby and Demi Moore is a granny. He is in his 30s and she is in her 40s. Doesn't that put them both in the 'ADULT, I need to take responsibility for my actions,' category? Ashton and Demi lasted a really long time (marriage and dating) by today's standards. They are two people ending their marriage, either because one of them had an error in judgement or because they simply fell out of love. It has nothing to do with their age differences. People just change and want different things in life. Wanting change is manifested in their behavior, whether they realize it or not. Age is not an excuse for justify good/bad behavior."

LoudSilence said the institution of marriage is outdated. "We live in the USA. A country where people are free to live together unmarried or have sex with no attachment. Monogamy is no longer forced upon us. So why do people who cannot be monogamous get married promising to be faithful? People need to start being honest first with themselves then with others."

What's your take? Join the conversation below and in the latest stories on CNN.com. Or sound off on video via CNN iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrity • Overheard on CNN.com • Showbiz
  1. ron johnson

who cares!!!!

November 20, 2011 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  2. RIP Clyde Frog

Bet he got tired of all the gray hairs downtown

November 20, 2011 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  3. O-Town Girl

A woman's beauty is best from 18-30? Puh-leaze! Demi is a key example of a fully realized beauty only possible with life experience.

November 20, 2011 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  4. jacjac lacey

i thnk wen 2ppl get married they vow b4 thur family an to each otha an above all b4 GoD for those reason they should stay commited to one an utha cuz almost all marriages en d becuz of adultery #pointblank

November 20, 2011 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  5. mejazzbo

Women don't have to get married to get laid anymore than men do, Demi.

November 20, 2011 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  6. big Al of KC

@bigwilliestyle. Right on that issue. To all the Man Haters, get a life and counseling. My sister (
    now deceased) made a "man hater" comment and boy did I set her straight. She the one that picked the jerks when it was her doing.

November 20, 2011 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  7. matt p

When an older woman likes young boys she's a cougar. When older man like young boys he's just a nittany lion.

November 20, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  8. TIFFANY

Demi is not old. This has nothing to do with her age. She's going through a tough time they both are show some respect! Cracking stupid jokes about them is not funny it's just a waste of space. If you put as much time and effort into making something of yourself as you did with making jokes that hurt these are people. If you think 49 is old then you need to be checked because it's not old. And, she doesn't need to be in a nursing home. I think ya'll just need to stop acting stupid.

November 20, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  9. mrs. L

Firstoff, Kutcher is not a little "boy". He's a 33-year-old man who is very immature and couldn't keep it in his pants, and doesn't have a whole lot going on between the ears to boot. Demi can now go find herself a REAL man and leave that flake Kutcher in the sandbox to go play with his young, fertile and dumb floozies.

November 20, 2011 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  10. FAITH

Be mature people AGE IS ONLY A NUMBER

November 20, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  11. izzzys bunny

Youve been married only a year & are already bored? Wow. That sucks. I feel sad your spouse. U need to grow up. Let me guess, youre in your 20s.

November 20, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  12. guest

Age doomed this relationship. He wanted out so he was unfaithful. You could see it coming.
    In youth obsessed Hollywood 40's is old.

November 20, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Wisdom comes with the years of experience

I remember being 9yrs old and telling my grandmother if what she was talking about had happen before christ or after christ,it was a rude disrespectful joke I had heard from someone and thought it would be funny to say. She as an elementary teacher she was, gave me an explanation ill never forget and ended the conversation with this phrase; As you see yourself, I (once) saw my self; as you see me; (so) you will see yourself. I wanted to share this phrase because I was once ignorant enough to think my child days would never be over. For all those who joke with age like I once did and regret so much because my grandmother is no longer here and I miss her so much. If you think you will forever be young, think twice before commenting because there will come the day that someone as ignorant as you will call you old in your late 50 and will feel disgusted by you and that will remind you of this moment. I'm 30yrs old now, and although I know I'm not old, to my kids I'am, that's because their not old enough to tell the defference yet, my 10yr old still thinks a 15yr old is old. That's what makes us call them kids because their still innocent, that's the deference between a thirdteen year old who's now a teen, and 18yr old who's now an adult who's still acts like a kid, knows the defference but yet chooses to be a kid with his ignorant comment.

November 20, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Warren m

some of the stupids comments i have heard in my life. Low iq's. I am 46 i am not old. I dated younger but prefer mature adults which are missing this blog. Land of the ignorant!

November 20, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  15. trevor pierre

After all the time Ashton spent in this relationship! He should still have his cake and eat it to.

November 20, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |