Overheard on CNN.com: Cougartown roars over celebrity split
Demi Moore said she plans to divorce Ashton Kutcher. The couple began dating in 2003 and married in 2005.
November 18th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Cougartown roars over celebrity split

Editor's note: Readers have a lot to say about stories, and we're listening. Overheard on CNN.com is a regular feature that examines interesting comments and thought-provoking conversations posted by the community

"Their marriage lasted six years longer than Kim Kardashian's."
- trankwill

So Demi Moore is planning to divorce Ashton Kutcher "with great sadness and a heavy heart." The marriage between Moore, 49, and Kutcher, 33, attracted a lot of attention because of the couple's age difference. Today is truly a sad day in Cougartown, and commenters are busy debating what it all means and sharing their experiences with similar relationships.

Demi Moore says she is divorcing Kutcher

Commenters picked sides in some cases. A lot of them rooted for Moore. mikelayai said, "Good move, Demi. This guy is such an obnoxious loser. I don't know how you put up with him for six years."

Others said Kutcher realizes he has plenty of other options. Kevininvanco said, "Can you blame Ashton? Demi looks like a senior citizen compared to some of the up-and-coming young girls that Ashton works with."

Some turned to the age-old cougars debate for answers. "This is the logical conclusion in this story," Benny Blanco said. " 'Cougars' want cubs. Cubs will grow up and want a cub too. Try not to act so surprised, ladies."

"It makes me laugh at these 20 somethings that think [Moore] is old," wfrobinette said. "Your life will fly by so fast you be in your 40's before you know what hit you. That is if you are lucky enough to do so."

xdougx and others put themselves in Kutcher's shoes. "I dated an older woman. It's all good when it's just about sex. As soon as she starts pushing for a relationship, take my advice and get the heck out of there."

But siracco said, "I have to congratulate Demi for sticking to her values. Many Hollywood wives have had to compromise theirs to hold on to their man."

Many said they have low expectations for celebrity marriages. chikumisra said, jokingly, "I just can't believe it.  This surely must be the first time a Hollywood couple is getting divorced.  They are typically known for their faith, fidelity, loyalty, stability.  I don't know what could have happened to cause this. "

And others, like Andre Guerrero, said the debate was "silly":

"Everyone here makes it seem like Ashton Kutcher is a baby and Demi Moore is a granny. He is in his 30s and she is in her 40s. Doesn't that put them both in the 'ADULT, I need to take responsibility for my actions,' category? Ashton and Demi lasted a really long time (marriage and dating) by today's standards. They are two people ending their marriage, either because one of them had an error in judgement or because they simply fell out of love. It has nothing to do with their age differences. People just change and want different things in life. Wanting change is manifested in their behavior, whether they realize it or not. Age is not an excuse for justify good/bad behavior."

LoudSilence said the institution of marriage is outdated. "We live in the USA. A country where people are free to live together unmarried or have sex with no attachment. Monogamy is no longer forced upon us. So why do people who cannot be monogamous get married promising to be faithful? People need to start being honest first with themselves then with others."

What's your take? Join the conversation below and in the latest stories on CNN.com. Or sound off on video via CNN iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrity • Overheard on CNN.com • Showbiz
  1. Kathy

@ Wisdom, well said 🙂

November 20, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Tori

Come on you guys stop bashing Demi because she is 48 which is the same age as my mom.My dad is 4 years younger and they were married on/off for 20 years before getting divorced.I'm 19 and find this whole thing ridiculous and the ensuing comments amusing. Thanks for making my day.

November 20, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. kat

Ok dem.. i think u deserve way better... but we have to face the fact the men now a days just dont care... so stick with ur kids and keep ur head up u dont need a cheeter u need u... ur to pritty at ur age to let it go to waist live it up gurl..

November 20, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • TNwhiskey

Yes, because women "never" cheat on their husband/boyfriend whatever.

November 20, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Princess

Ashton... when the show was called two and a half men... you were not supposed to act like the HALF!

November 20, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Shannon

I impressed that CNN has allowed some of these comments to be posted to this board. Comments such as "used up" and "stretched out" are offensive to any woman and if I were guiding CNN, I would advise that the company quickly work to get a control on their comment policy.

Regarding the Demi/Ashton split. Where do people get off being so vulgar and offensive about other people and their lives? These two married; they both have fought hard to gain some level of success in their life; they have dealt with childhood issues that were difficult and were able to move forward, which is a lot more than I assume many of the people posting to this thread can say for themselves. I don't need to like their acting or find one or the other attractive to offer some kindness about their situation. There are stories swirling about their "swinger" lifestyle (on legitimate news' sites) with absolutely no shred of fact to support the story. People are talking about theirs being a Hollywood marriage? The images I saw of the two were of a couple that were in love. And so now it went off track for the two of them. Maybe there is a "bad guy" (or girl), maybe there isn't. Maybe I'm only curious because it helps alleviate my own stress about my marriage or my life. "Well, at least we're still together." So what? He married an older woman. Let's get real gentleman. If any of you thought you stood a chance, I assure you your public, but anonymous, comments about her "looks", "beauty" or "age" would quickly change. She's beautiful. He's beautiful and the two of them together are more beautiful than 98% of the population. Who they are at heart? I don't know. I just feel bad that two people are hurting.

November 20, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bobcat (in a hat)

@Shannon

Phhhhtttttt

November 20, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Deanna stubbs

My heart goes out to them. Such a sad time will get better I been their n over time will heal all broken hearts!

November 20, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. rivergirl

I'm sure he will cheat on anyone, regardless of age. He did cheat on Jackie.

November 20, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. jayla

I feel bad for both of them becuase marriage is sacred. But people change and it wont work without god, communication and forgiveness for every little thing, people. Rush to divorce, may god bless them. Moving on:-)

November 20, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Beautiful

He's from Iowa. He's got hometown in him he's down to EARTH. Things just change. Period.

November 20, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. kathy

They both got paid. Now move on.

November 21, 2011 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  12. pandabear

She's plastic and he's an idiot. The point is, with all the real news in yhe world.... Who cares??!!!

November 21, 2011 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
  13. bailey

Age dont matter.i just think they fell out of love.and there are alot of people that do and want amitted to it.i like both of them and may they be happy in life.

November 21, 2011 at 2:50 am | Report abuse |
  14. keeping real

Hollowood makes marrige a laughing stock! let the gays get married because it is meaningless anymore!

November 21, 2011 at 3:30 am | Report abuse |
  15. Adrian

This is more proof that marriage is a mistake and even more people are interested in the fallout.

November 21, 2011 at 4:57 am | Report abuse |