Former FBI director to lead Penn State investigation
Former FBI director Louis Freeh will lead the Penn State sex abuse investigation.
November 21st, 2011

Former FBI director to lead Penn State investigation

Former FBI Director Louis Freeh will lead Penn State University's inquiry into the school's response to sex abuse allegations involving former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, trustee Kenneth Frazier said Monday.

Sandusky is accused of sexually abusing a boy at a football complex, an act allegedly witnessed by an a football graduate assistant who reported it to coach Joe Paterno and other superiors. But it was years before law enforcement was notified, according to a grand jury report.

Paterno, the winningest football coach in Division I history, was fired this month amid outrage over the handling of abuse claims involving Sandusky. Penn State President Graham Spanier also lost his job.

Six days after Sandusky's arrest, the college announced it was creating a special panel to investigate the allegations.

Frazier, a trustee who is chairing the panel, has said the inquiry will be "rigorous, objective and impartial."

Pennsylvania's attorney general charged Sandusky, 67, with 40 counts in what authorities say was the sexual abuse of eight young boys over several years. In addition, two Penn State officials are charged with failing to inform police of the allegations.

National anger grew after recent revelations of a graduate assistant's 2002 report that he had seen former Sandusky performing anal sex on a young boy in a football complex shower.

Paterno said that he'd never been told the graphic details revealed in a grand jury report about sex abuse allegations, but that he nevertheless passed the allegations on to his boss. Paterno has said he had done "what I was supposed to do." But in a later statement, he said "with the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more."

The NCAA and the U.S. Department of Education are also investigating.

Post by:
Filed under: College football • Crime • Jerry Sandusky • Sports
  1. spade

Well this certainly appears to be above board but then most white washes are

November 21, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  2. monica

Louis Freeh is no joke. If he is leading the investigation it will all be above board.

November 21, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Portland tony

I'm sure when all the facts come out, those of us, led by the press, who rushed to crucify a certain third party's lack of oversight will feel a slight twinge of regret!

November 21, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I missed something earlier!
    The graduate assistant saw Sandusky performing a-
    nal s-
    ex on a ten-year-old boy?
    THAT act?
    I thought it was about inappropriate touching of the boy and perhaps a little more.
    If the graduate assistant saw that–unbelievable!
    Oh no!
    You don't REPORT that! To your boss or coach?
    You stop it with your body and go immediately to the police and hospital with the boy. You give up your job.
    Unless you're in it yourself, or in a drugged stupor.
    I didn't hear that part of the story.

November 21, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO

Let's not forget, he stayed with the program for years and worked alongside that person every day for more than a decade after he saw that happening.

November 21, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

There's a lot going on here that hasn't been revealed.

November 21, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

@JIF:

Yes, that's why pepple are so up-in-arms about it.
    I think this all came out while you were in the hospital.

November 21, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I'm seeing triangles.

November 21, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

That's what happened. I've been unaware of the developments since I collapsed that night.

November 21, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

I agree, JIF.
    There's a power pyramid at play, definitely.

I still feel McQueary should be fired.
    Don't give me that "he told someone" crap; he did even less than Paterno did: he didn't walk out of there with the boy.
    He *left* him there with his abuser.

November 21, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Susie Q

Those that stand and watch, are just as guilty; punishment will be much harsher for those than the attacker.

November 21, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

Nobody should get a tougher punishmemt than the molester...

November 21, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I think that the instinct, were there a 10-year-old boy involved, would be to stop it before thinking at all.
    There's much more than we've heard.
    I'm sure that the boy would have left that room with me.

November 21, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

That's when adrenaline takes over and you don't think: you do.

November 21, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Susie Q

when you walk away from a crime being preformed in front of you; YOU are just as guilty and even more so, because you could have stopped it!
    The attacker already made his choice and will be dealt with accordingly.
    Look at it this way: the attacker is sick and may have never been helped, therefore he may repent after the therapy.
    the one who walked away wasn't mentally sick, what's his excuse? He's the one who deserves a greater sentence.

November 21, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy©

I'm not going to debate this, Susie Q: nobody should get a harsher punishment than the actual perp.
    McQueary could have stopped it; he didn't; he should be punished.
    Sandusky is the one who deserves all of our contempt; he deserves to get the harshest punishment...his instrument was the one used in the raypes.
    Tell me, would you rather Sandusky go free while the others that effected the cover-up be jailed?
    Or would you rather ALL of them be punished?

November 21, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |