November 21st, 2011

'Lone wolf' terror suspect arraigned in New York

The attorney for a man accused of plotting to detonate pipe bombs in and around New York says his client doesn't match the profile of someone who would commit terrorism.

Jose Pimentel, 27, is in custody after authorities say he intended to target U.S. military personnel who had served in Iraq and Afghanistan. Police say he also intended to strike U.S. postal facilities and police in New York and Bayonne, New Jersey.

Pimentel was arraigned in a New York court late Sunday night. His attorney, Joseph Zablocki, said the case against his client is nowhere near as strong as authorities and the prosecution say.

"As they admit, he has a very public online profile, and that flies in the face of everything that they've said," Zablocki said at the hearing. "This is not the way you go about committing terrorist attacks."

Earlier, the prosecution said Pimentel had a "very active and very public online profile," citing the website TrueIslam1.

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg described the suspect as an "al Qaeda sympathizer," though he is not believed to have ever worked with or received training from anyone in that terrorist organization.

"There is no evidence he worked with anyone else," Bloomberg said. "He appears to be ... a lone wolf."

Pimentel's uncle Luis Saverino told CNN affiliate WABC that his sister's son lived with him on 137th Street in Hamilton Heights. Saverino said he had no idea what his nephew was up to inside his bedroom, which he always kept locked.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Justice • U.S. • World
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Pimental would not have to work with anybody else to detonate a bomb, and hatred need no training.
    Bravo Bloomberg!

November 21, 2011 at 6:00 am | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Dear President leeintulsa:
    Even Einstein's thinking is questioned.
    "You Have To Be Carefully Taught," from SOUTH PACIFIC, is a wonderful song.

November 21, 2011 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

I was part of the chorus in south pacific my freshman year in high school 🙂

November 21, 2011 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I got the ti'
    t-
    le wrong. It's "You've Got To Be Carefully Taught."

November 21, 2011 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

Judging from some of posts seen here at times, I have come to the conclusion that some forms of hate are apparent from birth...

November 21, 2011 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  5. michaelfury

November 21, 2011 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  6. leeintulsa

Fear is naturally there, and that, which so often happens, through teaching or learning somewhere, can resolve into hate. That's what i think..

November 21, 2011 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ President leeintulsa:
    What I actually meant was, "if he had the hatred already, he wouldn't need foreign training by ME leaders to know that he'd like to make a bomb or two."
    I was trying to reduce the effectiveness of a defense based on an absence of collaboration.
    I don't like his living in my borough: I ride subways and go to the post office.
    He's still just accused.

November 21, 2011 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Now I suppose that this dude will get 1000 years in Sing Sing for this. It's kind of funny how these guys always get caught right at the "last minute"! As much as I hate to say it, I too resent the presence of U.S. troops in both Iraq and Afghanistan as they have absolutely no right to be there in the first place!!! Like I said before and I'll continue to say it, these wars are not only useless and unnecessary but totally immoral as well!!!

November 21, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

+ 3 (So far)

November 21, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

RE 9:30 POST UNDER JIF's NAME:
    Dunce, do you think that anybody thinks I wrote that?

November 21, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. saywhat

I am just happy that nothing bad happened.
    Paid informants, sting operations, inducements, entrapment and the last minute grab. Well that has been the case for sometime now.

November 21, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Emma Phillips

Hey guys, Could be the U.S. a lot better off sticking to Syria's Assad?

December 18, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |