The Occupy movement is taking on the biggest retail day of the season, calling on protesters to occupy major retailers on Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving.
"OCCUPY BLACK FRIDAY by occupying/boycotting large chain stores and publicly traded retail" is the message posted on the website stopblackfriday.com.
The movement contends that 1% of the country is making money at the expense of the other 99%.
"The credit cards the 99% overcharge will allow the 1% to enrich themselves gluttonously on the backs of hardworking people who simply want to provide a memorable time for their families," the website says.
"So just imagine what would happen to the 1% if the 99% did not spend on Black Friday."
The site asks protesters to target only "publicly traded large businesses" and support small businesses "that serve our local communities."
The site lists Abercrombie & Fitch, Amazon.com, AT&T Wireless, Burlington Coat Factory, Dick's Sporting Goods, Dollar Tree, The Home Depot, Neiman Marcus, Office Max, Toys "R" Us, Verizon Wireless and Wal-Mart as businesses that should be boycotted or occupied.
"We are NOT anti-capitalist, just anti-crapitalist," the site says.
Are you participating in an Occupy Black Friday protest? Send your iReport.
People don't need to boycott purchasing products, they need to boycott using credit cards and getting themselves into debt. Either make your own gifts, or purchase gifts with cash. This way, we're not impacting the people who rely on Black Friday sales to make a living while helping undercut the real source of our economy's problems, predatory lending and people's desire to spend beyond their means.
Occupy Best Buy. How can that company NOT be targeted? Get about 50 people, completely block the front doors with a sitdown protest. Don't move until you are forced to by police. Those disgruntled Target employees? Bad together and quit at Midnight. That would shut down the stores and would send a HUGE message and would get worldwide attention. Nothing like a peaceful amount of anarchy.
Good idea...band together and quit. There are plenty of people who would love to take the jobs. Did you just post this comment without thinking or are you really that stupid?
That's smart! Let's have workers quit and get laid off!! That'll show those minimum wage, seasonal workers who are obviously part of the 1%!
Brilliant! Tell those folks that are employed and payiing taxes to quit their jobs in the worst economy of our lifetime.
If they protest they need to go after places like Walmart and sam's club. they pay an unlivable wage, keep employees at part time and keep them eligable for welfare and medicaid. Busineses like Walmart are killing our country and fueling a socialist country while they make millions!
I bet they WON'T occupy their beloved Apple store.
As long as they don't get in my way while I'm shopping, I don't care. But if they get in my way, prepare to be run over!
I am all for supporting local businesses, not to mention I definitely won't be participating in the crazyness of Black Friday–however the whole bit about those poor people over charging their credit cards.....where has accountability gone? Isn't that something this movement is demanding? You CAN provide a memorable time for your family that doesn't revolve around excess and material items, let alone spending beyond your means. Once again the supporters of this movement forget it's the little people, the 99% that will be working off of commission on Black Friday. Rather than occupying shopping malls, go occupy congress.
Oppressed societies will always stay oppressed as long as those who have the courage to stand for change are condemned and criticized by the very people who suffer the oppression. The ultra-wealthy elite have leveraged their control of virtually all media outlets to brainwash you with emotional rhetoric so that you actually believe it is perfectly OK to get screwed daily and you must be lazy if you say please stop screwing me. Wake up People â€“ take your heads out of the sand!
You're so "oppressed" that you have the freedom to make a public nuisance of yourself, at others' expense, for weeks on end.
In an actually "oppressive" country you would be piled in a ditch or soldiers would be hosing you out of the tracks of a tank.
Take your hysterical drama-queen performance home, shave off that nasty fungus-looking "beard" you're trying to grow, and go get a job like an adult.
As we used to say in the Army – Foxtrot Romeo
A People will always stay oppressed as long as those who have the courage to stand for change are condemned and criticized by the very people who suffer the oppression. The ultra-wealthy elite have leveraged their control of virtually all media outlets to brainwash you with emotional rhetoric so that you actually believe it is perfectly OK to get screwed daily and you must be lazy if you say please stop screwing me. Wake up People â€“ take your heads out of the sand!
If you hate big companies for making so much money, just buy stock in the company. Then their financial success equals your financial success.
I think the whole point of the movement went right over your head...
Most of the OWS protests are talking about the the vast concentration of wealth among the top 1% of income earners compared to the other 99 percent. This protest seems to have the same theme, but this time they are boycotting spending lots of money at big businesses in order to prevent more distribution of wealth disparity. My comment is simply saying, "You can try to fight for an unsustainable goal (coercing ppl shop at places with lesser selection and worse prices to avoid big businesses) OR you can fight the wealth disparity by buying stock in these PUBLICLY traded companies and make yourself wealthier. If you are currently part of the 99%, then by buying stock in these businesses, you can decrease the wealth distribution disparity. If the big businesses make money, then so do you. If everyone had some shares in these businesses, then there would be much less wealth distribution disparity."
i hate credit cards with a passion. worst decision i've ever made lol
You have all been brainwashed into believing it is perfectly OK for you and the rest of us to be screwed continously. These people are actually trying to help you â€“ wake up!!!
Apple ranks #2 in capital, behind ExxonMobil and not a peep from these idiots.
Agree completely with GRofPA... The Occupy protesters have a lot of valid points such as the huge growth of income for the 1% while middle class income has stagnated for the last 30 years, the ever increasing effect of big money in elections and governing, lack of accountability of the financial industry, etc...
When they do things like this, however, all they do is alienate people (such as myself) who would otherwise be on their side. We don't need to tear the system down. We need to fix it!
That's BS. The middle 60% of wage earners have seen an almost 40% increase in pay after inflation. The lowest quintile? 18% more.
That's pretty darn good.
Boycotting businesses or pressuring people to shop elsewhere might work for a while to support small businesses, but it is not sustainable. People will eventually return to shopping at the superstores that have the best selections and prices. That is just how it works. To get permanent change, a more permanent solution would be needed.