Egypt's military leaders apologized Thursday for the deaths of protesters during the recent clashes, vowed to prosecute offenders and pay the medical bills of those injured.
The Supreme Council of the Armed Forces posted the apology on its Facebook page.
"The Supreme Council of the Armed Forces presents its regrets and deep apologies for the deaths of martyrs among Egypt's loyal sons during the recent events in Tahrir Square," the message said. "The Supreme Council of the Armed Forces confirms that it is making every sincere effort to prevent such events from happening again."
The message comes as a relative calm fell over Tahrir Square after days of deadly clashes. Soldiers erected barbed wire barricades to separate protesters and police early Thursday.
Meanwhile, the Ahram Online website - part of the state-owned Al-Ahram newspaper group - reported that the country's major political parties are considering asking the Supreme Council to postpone the first round of parliamentary elections for two weeks. Those elections are scheduled for Monday.
The website attributed the information to unnamed sources close to the discussions. On Tuesday, the liberal Wafd Party floated a similar suggestion in a public statement, the website said.
Late Wednesday, prominent American-Egyptian journalist Mona Eltahawy tweed that she had been detained.
"Beaten arrested in interior ministry," the post read.
The U.S. State Department called the arrest "very concerning" and said embassy officials were trying to get information from Egyptian authorities.
Also arrested were three American college students accused of tossing Molotov cocktails during the protests.