Overheard on CNN.com: Bachmann deserved an apology
NBC apologized to Rep. Michele Bachmann for a song that was played during her appearance on "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon."
November 24th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Bachmann deserved an apology

Editor's note: Readers have a lot to say about stories, and we're listening. Overheard on CNN.com is a regular feature that examines interesting comments and thought-provoking conversations posted by the community.

Comment of the day:

“Did NBC [also] email the apology to both of Fallon's viewers?”
- Max17

Bad song choice

When Rep. Michele Bachmann recently appeared on “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon,” she probably didn’t expect the band to play Fishbone’s “Lyin’ Ass Bitch” as she walked out. But that’s exactly what happened. And now, NBC has sent the congresswoman an apology letter, and host Jimmy Fallon has apologized to her over the phone and via Twitter.

CNN.com readers said the band’s song choice was clearly inappropriate at best.

MiketheMike said, “No matter what anyone thinks of Bachmann, she was invited to the show as a guest and should have been treated as such. It's really sad that the concept of civility is being sacrificed by many for the sake of political animosity.”

Guest said, “I don't know all that much about Bachmann but her point is well taken. Had the recipient of this ‘humor’ been Michelle Obama there would have been hell to pay.”

KnockSomeSns responded, "Guest, you'd be right if Michelle Obama had mislead and sometimes even outright lied as much as Bachmann has. That's the whole point of that song (as its title suggests). NBC should have never apologized, IMHO.”

GoTparT said, “Why wasn't the drummer fired? If this were done to a minority democratic candidate the Liberals would want the entire band fired. I found this ‘song’ on the Internet and took a listen. It's garbage.”

Strange12 responded, “I hope the owner to the song rights is getting some royalties from all the self-righteous conservatives who are accessing the music. I just wonder where all this righteous indignation was when Michelle Obama and her children were booed at a recent stock car race. I have a feeling that Michelle Obama knew she was being booed when it happened; I doubt Michelle Bachmann even knew she had been insulted.”

357fixer said, “Making personal attacks against those you don't agree with ... it's the liberal way.”

CalmDog responded, “Calling Obama a Muslim, calling Kerry a coward, booing Michelle Obama at NASCAR, outing Valerie Plame, Yadda, yadda, yadda. Yup, I see what you mean.”

SurRy said, “Rush Limbaugh calls Mrs. Obama terrible names and ridicules her almost daily. Why isn't anyone apologizing for that? At least Limbaugh has decided to quit calling innocent children names (Chelsea Clinton).”

ZenaKitty said, “Wow. I don't care for Bachmann and as a Bleeding Heart Liberal, I totally disagree with everything the woman stands for, but that's unacceptable and the drummer really should be fired. No one should be treated with that kind of disrespect.”

Do you feel your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below, or sound off on video.

1. Andy

I'm a huge fan of Fishbone, and love the original song. Did Michelle deserve an apology? Of course she did, because, regardless of whether one agrees with the sentiment or not, that's not how you treat a guest.

In terms of being a humiliating insult..... I seriously doubt Michelle had ever heard of Fishbone, let alone the song, so insults far worse than this have been excused by members of the now outraged right-wing, so their clamor for firings and heads can be ignored for the nonsense that it is.

November 24, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • DoNotWorry

It may be nonsense, but they would move us ever closer to a totalitarian state where they would put us in jail for making jokes about some idiot government official (she isn't the only one). Double standard, when she flipped Cain's 999 plan to the 666 Satan plan. That's the way of it in a totalitarian state like China, however.

December 1, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. gung hoe

@andy with you bud couldnt understand one word but loved the look on her face priceless

November 24, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

@gung hoe:
    I'm glad you finally realized that.

November 24, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. gung hoe

Not to act smarter than anyone banasy but Ive always known that your never ever never never wrong.Its just that I didnt want to let you know that for fear of you getting that female desease,called bighead itis.Good night sista this turkey day was way better than any other cause Ive got you to exchange points with!

November 24, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

@gung hoe:
    Thanks, but ask my husband, and he'll tell you something different!
    (He's wrong.)
    Good talking to you, gung.
    Goodnight!

November 24, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

P.s.bigheaditis isn't just a female disease...it's a *human* disease. 😉

November 24, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  7. gung hoe

See there you go again never ever never never ever wrong! Once I thought you were wrong but I was wrong. But remember I like smart people.GOOD NITE!!

November 24, 2011 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

Lmao, gung hoe!
    You're fun! Don't change!

November 24, 2011 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  9. gung hoe

You know what I tried changing once because I didnt like myself,and let me just say wowser Really really really didnt like meself then boy was I WRONG!! So now this time off year I have some miistletoe that i wire over my head when I leave the house ,great fun except when some guy wants to take me up on it,

November 25, 2011 at 3:46 am | Report abuse |
  10. gung hoe

Seeing as though cnn dont want to do their job,Iwill! This just in from gung hoe and fox news reporting .The university hospital in chicago ILL is under lock down whth a lone gunman raising havoc!!

November 25, 2011 at 4:51 am | Report abuse |
  11. Roadsniper

Im going to get into politics so i can do stupid things to and expect an apology from others, wow, a life like that. Could you imagine what it would be like to get involved in politics , knowing the risks , than expectimg an apology!!! Imagine how this idiot was brought up, mommy tokd me to never apologize, but force those to apologize to you

November 25, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Roadsniper

And this is a candidate for the seat?

November 25, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • DoNotWorry

You mean the "hot" seat as President of the United States? Yep. I think most Republicans would run out of counting numbers if they tried to count the number of gratuitous insults the President of the United States might receive in a given week.

December 1, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. gung hoe

Well roadsniper thats pretty much what you do! Ive notice that ever since you been bloging you been pretty rough on other blogers and thats not a good way to make friends around here!!

November 25, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Donald in CA

Where are the apologies to Michelle Obama from the owners of the rush limpbaugh show. Pallin and these right wing women get quick apologies when their feelings are hurt, but folks thinks its funny when Michelle Obama and Nancy Polosi are dogged out. The hypocrites are alive and well in america.

November 25, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Roadsniper

Hey gung hoe, who said that blogging is for making friends? Someone else has got there wires crossed.these blogs are stating opinions. Ive spent enough time outside the u.s to know enough about politics,to not only speak my mind but also to know the truth about politicians. So now if you cant tell an enemy to our freedom ,then you should not be supporting them!!!!!! Like i said blogging was not intended only for making friends, im someone that you cant handle!!!!! Bye,bye, for now gungy!!!!!

November 25, 2011 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |