Overhead on CNN.com: Tired of North Korea’s threats
North Korea reacted with threats after South Korea marked the first anniversary of the Yeonpyeong Island attacks November 23.
November 25th, 2011

Overhead on CNN.com: Tired of North Korea’s threats

Editor's note: Readers have a lot to say about stories, and we're listening. Overheard on CNN.com is a regular feature that examines interesting comments and thought-provoking conversations posted by the community.

Comment of the morning:

“What a sad situation. They are all Koreans with family on both sides of that once one nation.“ -isallwon

North Korea threatens South Korea

Another round of threats from North Korea came a day after South Korea staged exercises near Yeonpyeong Island, marking the anniversary of the North's deadly shelling that killed two marines and two civilians. In response to the South’s exercises, the North's military threatened "a sea of fire" upon the South's presidential office.

CNN.com readers had plenty to say about the ongoing conflict in the region.

Some readers said the North’s response was predictable.

TheEZD said, “Every so often, North Korea must think ‘Hey, I have not been in the news lately, time to send another warning to the south/world for (rolls dice) military exercises!’”

GODis responded, “Then the following week, they are asking for handouts again to feed their starving people, and then the food, medicine goes straight to the military. Enough is enough, 60 years of this BS. The Generals in the North Korean military don't even talk to each other, they are only concerned with the state of their own little kingdom, within the larger kingdom.”

Mike881j said, “The South sends food and supplies to the North, and the North sends threats back South. One day the world is going to be sick of the constant threats and war mongering by the North and finally stamp out that awful regime.”

LouisSilex said, “Not them again ! I thought China had bought that place or something!"

CNN.com readers debated what China would do if a full-scale war broke out between the two countries.

Brad76 said, “China does NOT want America near China's border. China would more than likely defend North Korea, they've done it once they'll do it again. This is simply not worth the loss of human life, and waging war while financially unstable is not wise. Time to wake up to reality.”

Callahan9119 said, “The North couldn't sustain a war effort for more than a couple weeks. No, food, fuel, parts, infrastructure, communications. They have nothing. If they initiated a war nobody, including China, would help them.”

pbzekeg said, “I agree. China will not surrender all what they have gained in the last 20 years to save North Korean. It the North attack the South the War will be over in less than 4 weeks. I served in Korea in 1958 and 1962 and I can tell you the South is READY.”

Callahan9119 said, “This isn't the 60's, if the North did something big they would cut bait. China is already sick of them. They get something if the North is just belligerent, they gain nothing from a war, in fact they lose. Millions of people would flee into China.”

Other readers simply lamented the threat of war.

tomn8r said, “Too bad we can't all just get along eh? sucks that we have to always spend zillions on weapon systems. money that could be used to make this little rock a complete paradise 4all. nothing we can do about it though – most of us can't even get along with our own family and neigbours to expect us 2 get along with totally different cultures/religions/ etc.

What to do? nothing. There's nothing we can do. We (humans) are programmed to fight. It's in the DNA.”

TheBossSaid responded, “If viruses destroy cells at the microcosm level, what do you expect from higher life forms?”

Do your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below, or sound off on video.

1. banasy©

Dayum, s kel, bloodthirsty much? Lol!

November 25, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. chrissy

Especially given what a fine job we have done with our portion of it! The one thing i have learned over time, YOU LEAD BY EXAMPLE! As is so abundantly obvious, our example is not exactly the best especially at this point in time!

November 25, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. gung hoe

@banasy what skel and myself was saying was basically the same just that I used nicer lanquage.But What skel said was of a person trained to be a warrier same as myself!Warriers believe you dont get anything done with words it takes action.

November 25, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. bobcat (in a hat)

@gung hoe
    We're going to have to agree to disagree here.
    I also was one of those warriors who had his time of being shot at. If given the choice again of killing or being killed, or settling it peacefully, I most assuredly will choose the latter.

November 25, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. gung hoe

Dividing Korea in 1945 after WW2 was a mistake made jointly by both the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. They should have had Russia occupy all of Korea just like the U.S. occupied that country whose name starts with a J. By jointly occupying and each giving their half that of that country their independence, they turned that country into a powder keg which finally exploded in 1950 and may do so again!!!

November 25, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • chrissy

Thank you, gung hoe. I was about to post the same thing here! True, Korea should have been occupied solely by the Russians and today that country would be united instead of being the potental powder keg that it is!

November 25, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bobcat (in a hat)

@gung hoe
    Now on that post I totally agree with you. And yes, I do expect it to cut loose again. Only this time it's going to be a lot nastier.

November 25, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  7. chrissy

not me @ 5:5l for the MOST OBVIOUS of reasons! George you wanta get a life and quit moochin off me? And arent you always foamin @ the mouth about repeat offenders in the welfare system? Why should we support repeat offenders in the war gaming?? IDIOT!

November 25, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. gung hoe

Well philly you did pretty darn good that time 554 pm is a troll even though Iam in complete agreement with what you trolled. I couldnt have posted that better myself

November 25, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. gung hoe

Good post @611 chrissie gp is a idiot go get him!

November 25, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

@ gung hoe, its more than likely george patton, he likes to steal a name and post something then hijack and agree with the first post thereby agreein with hisself

November 25, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

I *do* not think nuking them off the planet is the answer, since I'm fairly sure that their allies, (and yes, they *have* allies) would most assuredly nuke us off the planet, also.
    You warriors are retired; I humbly thank you for serving our country.
    That being said, I want the current batch of warriors be *able* to retire, rather that be nuked off the planet in a knee-jerk reaction by the old warriors.
    I mean this not as an insult, so please don't take it as one.

November 25, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

@gung hoe:
    That was definitely GP; Phil doesn't steal names.

November 25, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

guess he feels *special* when he does that

November 25, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

Well, one can look at it this way: he only steals intelligent people's u/n's....

Bombo: +4

November 25, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  15. chrissy

As the true chrissy here, I posted at 5:51 and here I post again to stand firmly what I posted then! Some Tea Partying jerk is using my name for all the other posts. I think that he's doing the same thing to gung hoe too, trying to make us look as dumb as he is!!!!

November 25, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO

Like you, chrissy, I fully agree with what gung hoe posted at 5:44! Korea should never have divided the way it was in 1945. The Russians should have occupied the whole country!!!

November 25, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |