November 27th, 2011

Nearly 5,000 sign petition calling for release of Afghan rape victim

Afghan President Hamid Karzai received a petition Sunday with nearly 5,000 names endorsing a plea for the immediate release of a rape victim who has been jailed because of her attack and is being forced to marry her rapist.

Kim Motley, a lawyer for 21-year-old Gulnaz, said the palace received the petition, which gathered 4,751 names in just over 48 hours, on Sunday afternoon. The petition comes with an official plea for clemency addressed to the president, who has the power to immediately pardon Gulnaz, currently in jail for adultery because her attacker was married at the time of the attack.

Gulnaz was sentenced to 12 years after the attack as her rapist was married though that term was recently reduced to 3 years.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Afghanistan
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

The thinking involved in creating such a law, even when primitive religions were being devised, is so irrational that I cannot believe such stupid humans ever existed.
    That a nation would have such laws today is even more unbelievable.
    Many decades ago I was on tour with a world-famous mezzo-soprano, and we were discussing a news item similar to this, and from the same region.
    "Honey," she told me at breakfast, "they're not people."
    She was right.
    People don't do things like this.

November 27, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Sam

They shoild just string her up and execute her. Problem solved

November 27, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. gung hoe

@jif just because i dont post dont mean Iam not there! Some of the times I will read the post and if it dont apply to me not say anything ,other times if I feel like it will cause grief not respond .The reason why Im telling you this is because I read where you said your age boy was i surprised! But now I think why we see eye to eye on alot is your age.I was the baby of the family and my brothers and sisters are of your age.

November 27, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Portland tony

Perhaps there was a misreading of the facts in this case as they were translated from the original report in Afghanistan. Very hard believe that humans behave this way!

November 27, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. gung hoe

@portland tony evidently youve never been overseas to some of these poverished countries!Tony Iam sure that youve heard that in some people in different parts of the world are still living in caves,well tony let me tell you its not just a saying.

November 27, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Portland tony

Been all over this wide wide world and seen places that living in a cave would be moving "uptown", but I've never seen tribalism as barbaric, for no reason, as noted in the article . But then again I've never been to the "Dark Side" either. .

November 27, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Thisjustin

You're right gung hoe. In a lot of these countries, they are still living the the way their ancestors did thousands of years ago.

November 27, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

I am in 100% agreement with JIF.
    That we should continue to aid a country with such a barbaric view towards women is simply astounding.

@Ruffie:
    Is there an edition of "Cats Gone Wild" coming out soon?

November 27, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. True

Oh I see, It's her fault she got attacked! And how was she suppose to STOP the attack? I would love to see the Afghan Officials go thru what she went through, then get jailed for LIFE! This is backward thinking at best. Yes this happened in ancient days but the laws were written by man NOT God.

I would like an answer as to what the women are suppose to do when getting rayped to avoid being treated like the criminal? (smh)

November 27, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

I'm wondering what part of sharia law would permit someone to raype a cousin and not hold him accountable for his actions? also it takes 2 to commit adultery...why does sharia law not hold the man accountable for his infidelity...

November 27, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

@True:
    I don't think there is much a woman *can* do; *she* is in jail for adultery because her *rapist*
    is married...yes, essentially, they are punishing the victim, while the criminal gets a pass.
    Backward ass country!

November 27, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

I would never consider raype as adultery anyway...backwards ass country!

Good question, Mmmmm...although we do know how these countries subjugate women...

November 27, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. True

@banasy, what ever happened to the punishment fitting the crime? (let the penalty be proportionate to the offense) Hey Afghan A holes, the quote was speaking of the criminal NOT the victim! Learn to read.

November 27, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. True

@ banasy, I believe it's very clear, not only by this report but by others written on Afghan laws, how women are subjugated by their countries.

November 27, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

@True: oh, I agree...the wrong person is being jailed!
    I'll say it again:
    Backwards ass country.
    I have nothing but contempt for a country that would treat women (and all human life, for that matter) so shabbily.

November 27, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  14. bobcat (in a hat)

I was going to jump back in here, but I said my piece earlier. I can't believe they allow this stuff to happen. Is this sharia law this is based on ?

November 27, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. True

bobcat, but it maybe soon a thing of the past, considering the movements thru out the middle east.

November 27, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |