November 28th, 2011

Occupy protesters defy deadline to evict LA city park

Demonstrators milled about in Los Angeles' City Hall Park early Monday morning, defying a 12:01 a.m. deadline to leave the encampment that had been in place for almost 60 days.

Crystal Page of Good Jobs LA, one of the groups working with the Occupy LA movement, said demonstrators did not intend to vacate.

"We are just prepared to stand in solidarity and to defy a raid (by police) as long as possible."

Sunday night, Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa announced the deadline, saying "an encampment on City Hall grounds is simply not sustainable indefinitely."

He said the park is being vacated for repairs, and will remain open during normal hours for "the Occupy LA movement and other organizations that wish to exercise their freedom of speech."

Police will walk through the park early Monday handing out flyers about the park closure, he said.

Villaraigosa added police will allow campers "ample time to remove their belongings peacefully and without disruption."

FULL STORY

Filed under: U.S.
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ banasy
    @ bobcat (IAH)
    @ **cosmicvox*
    Good morning.
    **cosmicvox*, who were you? You write well.

November 29, 2011 at 2:47 am | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ What????:
    @ Roadsniper:
    Bird au K-Y.

November 29, 2011 at 2:49 am | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

**cosmicvox*:
    I doubt that many "right thinkers" would consider that novel essential reading today.
    Many hip teachers would find it culturally irrelevant for our society.
    Anyway, don't you know that every Revolution is glorious?
    An' be a doctor is too hard, elitiss, an' irrelevant...
    whatever.
    "A candle burned."

November 29, 2011 at 3:06 am | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

MOBY DICK is not about a fish.

November 29, 2011 at 3:07 am | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

**cosmicvox* tried to mention a Nobel Prize winning novel by Pasternak that was unpopular with US-
    SR
    authorities..
    If CNN deleted his comment, I'm not surprised.
    I don't think that members of ACORN, New York Communities for Change, OWS, or my favorite presidential candidate would completely approve that book if they read it.
    I abhor everything about communism.
    I don't think it's a good idea to set that up as the economic system of the USA, and that's why Sheryl and other friends of mine think that I'm in a bad mood.
    I once had a coat like that film's style, but it got too small when I went to a great personal trainer.
    I detest communism.

November 29, 2011 at 3:47 am | Report abuse |
  6. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Nobody need to study and be a doctor, too much time in books, whatever. Not healthy.
    MY COMPOSITION:
    I just want a Good Job, like they say in LA.
    Today, yea yea,
    They say,
    Yea yea,
    Good Job by May,
    I say,
    Today.
    Now don't you say,
    You can't, you can't,
    Everybody deserve a job,
    Yea yea,
    I say.

November 29, 2011 at 4:01 am | Report abuse |
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Maybe you spell that word "yea" as "yay."
    I takes a French accent aigu.
    It should rhyme with "say" and "today" in the Rap Lied that I composed.

November 29, 2011 at 5:20 am | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

TYPO:
    "It takes," not "I take."

November 29, 2011 at 6:01 am | Report abuse |