November 28th, 2011

Teen will not apologize to governor's office for Twitter post

A high school senior, who faces a Monday morning deadline to apologize to Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback for a disparaging tweet, has said she will not write the apology letter.

"I don't think I should write the letter and I don't think it would be the best move for me," Emma Sullivan, 18, said late Sunday night. "At this time, I do not think an apology would be a sincere thing for me to do."

Sullivan said her parents and many of her peers support her decision.

The teen made national headlines last week for a tweet she said was intended just for her friends.

During a Kansas Youth in Government field trip to the state capitol on November 21, Sullivan wrote: "Just made mean comments at gov brownback and told him he sucked, in person #heblowsalot."

The Shawnee Mission East senior says she did not actually talk to Brownback, and the post referenced a joke she had with a student on the trip.

The next day, she was called into the principal's office.

"I had no idea what it was about or why I was being called into the office," she said. "I had never been in trouble before."

A Brownback staffer had notified the principal, she said.

"My principal told me he needed to do damage control and was really upset," Sullivan said. "He said I was an embarrassment to the school and the school district and that I had been disrespectful."

The principal then asked her to write a letter of apology to Brownback and his staff. He set Monday as the due date for the letter.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Education • U.S.
  1. justathought

@Banasy, no argument, I shouldn't be such a chavaninist (is that the right word) I guess I just reflect on a busy-body ole' 3rd grade teacher I had one time that had to report every little misdeed a kid would do to his/her parents, like sticking his tounge out at a girl when he had an argument with her. She would write a note to be returned the next day signed by a parent. I always picture her in my mind, carrying wooden ruler to hit some kid's hands if she felt the need..

November 28, 2011 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  2. gung hoe

Oh pleeease banasy men busybodys nah never! If men wasnt that way we wouldnt be here would we. Honestly I agree with JIF

November 28, 2011 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

@gung hoe:
    I agree with JIF also, but men "gossip" just as much as women, and you know it.

@justathought:
    I'll give you that; your 3rd grade teacher was an old biddy.
    Everyone had a teacher like that, I think...

November 28, 2011 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  4. Portland tony

You got old news, new news, foxx news, and no news....CNN this is no news!

November 28, 2011 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

I saw this on my morning news program...so it's news to *someone*...
    For the life of me I don't understand it, either, Portland Tony...

November 28, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  6. s kel

Gov Bownback is a STIPID SOB, ok now what?

November 28, 2011 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  7. chrissy

oh hell no i wouldnt apologize either, particularly if i didnt mean it! apologies are sposed to be sincere or dont say em! and shes l8 she is now old enough to vote, shes old enough to form an opinion and voice her opinions damn!

November 28, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  8. Aunt Matilda

If she thinks he sucks, so what? He DOES suck!

November 28, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  9. Aunt Matilda

That principal is way outta line. Brown-nosing Brownback, that's all he's doing!

November 28, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  10. Aunt Matilda

@She changed her story:

What in the holy hell are you babbling about? She's 18 years old! She's not married! On you on drugs or something? Moron! Your anal fixation is showing....!!!

November 28, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  11. Radar

I wouldnt apologize either!!! Someone says something now days that is sincere others run with it. It seens that the adults are less mature than the students.

November 28, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  12. gung hoe

@ banasy yes queeny i was being sarcastic at first then i agreed with you alsoNow my feelings is yes she should apoligize because if she had that to say she shouldve kept it personal or she couldve reworded it so as not to offend anybody and still get the point across! But society now is if it feels good go ahead no matter whos feelings you hurt ,and I dont believe thats what our founding fathers meant with freedom of speech thingy!!!!

November 28, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

An insincere apology isn't an apology at all.
    Her principal is insisting on it; she said no, and I don't blame her, if she doesn't mean it.
    She was tweeting one of her friends; not sure how it got out, but that's neither here nor there.
    It is no different than if I texted a friend, and the friend was the one who re-posted the text...this just happens to be about Brownback.
    If she isn't sorry, she shouldn't be forced to say she is.

November 28, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Amy

I'm not a Brownback fan myself so the point to me isn't who it was addressed to, just the fact that she's another rude, spoiled teen with no respect for authority. I believe this only made it to the attention of the AP because she's looking for her 15 minutes of fame. Get over yourself!! And for those of you saying she shouldn't apologize for the comment because she doesn't mean it...well she has said that she didn't mean what she tweeted but that didn't stop her from posting it so that logic doesn't work!

November 28, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  15. gung hoe

Very good point amy! Man all the things that I had to either do or say when I was adolescent whether i wanted to or not ,had to do it because it was the right thing to do!!!

November 28, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |