November 28th, 2011

Teen will not apologize to governor's office for Twitter post

A high school senior, who faces a Monday morning deadline to apologize to Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback for a disparaging tweet, has said she will not write the apology letter.

"I don't think I should write the letter and I don't think it would be the best move for me," Emma Sullivan, 18, said late Sunday night. "At this time, I do not think an apology would be a sincere thing for me to do."

Sullivan said her parents and many of her peers support her decision.

The teen made national headlines last week for a tweet she said was intended just for her friends.

During a Kansas Youth in Government field trip to the state capitol on November 21, Sullivan wrote: "Just made mean comments at gov brownback and told him he sucked, in person #heblowsalot."

The Shawnee Mission East senior says she did not actually talk to Brownback, and the post referenced a joke she had with a student on the trip.

The next day, she was called into the principal's office.

"I had no idea what it was about or why I was being called into the office," she said. "I had never been in trouble before."

A Brownback staffer had notified the principal, she said.

"My principal told me he needed to do damage control and was really upset," Sullivan said. "He said I was an embarrassment to the school and the school district and that I had been disrespectful."

The principal then asked her to write a letter of apology to Brownback and his staff. He set Monday as the due date for the letter.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Education • U.S.
  1. bobcat ( in a hat )

I'll tell you what . This a little thing called freedom of speech. Even if it was a joke, it must have hit a raw spot with the governor. Some people can't stand it when the truth gets exposed about them. You stand by your guns girl.

November 28, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

Amy and gung ho:

The right thing according to who? You?
    She wasn't looking for fame at all, Amy...but it sure found her.
    She SAID that she didn't mean for the world to find out what she tweeted. I saw the interview with her.
    I wouldn't have known what she tweeted either, if the news didn't carry it, so yes, the logic still works.

She did nothing wrong.
    Nothing.
    Hence, she shouldn't apologize, because she did nothing wrong.
    Her gd principal wants her to apologize.
    Let HIM write the letter.

She has convictions she lives with; just because YOU don't believe in the same things doesn't make HER a spoiled little brat.

November 28, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Amy's Mother

You apologize for what you said here, RIGHT NOW, YOUNG LADY!!!

November 28, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  4. bobcat ( in a hat )

@banasy

Very well said lady. I agree 1000%. She did absolutely nothing wrong. If you want to blame someone, blame that governors staffer who made such a big damn deal out of it. I guess the sticks and stones thing doesn't apply to the elite.

November 28, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. James

Who gives a f***! Seriously she isn't allowed to insult an elected official? Brownback can suck it! How the he** is this news? I am sorry but I fought for this country and for the rights that we hold dear. She can say whatever the heck she wants in person, on twitter, or anywhere. It is her RIGHT! She shouldn't have to apologize because some governor wants to be a jack***. Maybe if that governor wasn't being a pervert looking at young girls twitter accounts he wouldn't have seen it.

All of you who say she has no manners and needs to apologize are hypocrites. You know every last one of you has insulted someone at some point in your life and you never apologized. So f*** off.

November 28, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. chrissy

Aint no different than the things that get posted in here daily and yea so people assume diferent identies to say things that they KNOW are gonna hurt that person! They wouldnt say em if they didnt mean em and like it or dont shes an adult!

November 28, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. **cosmicvox *

This wasn't a face to face attack on the gov., just a schoolgirls "opinion" on stupid Twitter for cryin' out loud. Good thing this wasn't going on when I was in high school drawing all those political cartoons about Nixon.
    Haaah!!

November 28, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

misspelled different sorry

November 28, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bobcat ( in a hat )

@cosmiicvox

She could say the same thing to his face, as long she didn't threaten him. So whats the dif. I mean if he's an ass hole, I'm sure it's already a known fact.

November 28, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

yea and someone needs to look into that principle bullying her into saying something she doesnt mean!

November 28, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ian Moone

Arguing on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics – in the end, it just really doesn't matter.

Now move along, these aren't the drones your looking for . . .

November 28, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

Ian Moone:
    Bite me.
    You even bringing up the Special olympics shows what a class act you're not.
    GFY.

November 28, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

And no, I won't apologize to you, either.

November 28, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  14. **cosmicvox *

@Ian, nobody's arguing here, just discussing, maybe you should move along and take your Star Wars reference along with you. Cute as it was.

November 28, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  15. **cosmicvox *

@bobcat, the 'dif' is that there actually is a law about provoking language in someones face that could give that person the right to punch you in the nose.

November 28, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |