November 28th, 2011

Teen will not apologize to governor's office for Twitter post

A high school senior, who faces a Monday morning deadline to apologize to Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback for a disparaging tweet, has said she will not write the apology letter.

"I don't think I should write the letter and I don't think it would be the best move for me," Emma Sullivan, 18, said late Sunday night. "At this time, I do not think an apology would be a sincere thing for me to do."

Sullivan said her parents and many of her peers support her decision.

The teen made national headlines last week for a tweet she said was intended just for her friends.

During a Kansas Youth in Government field trip to the state capitol on November 21, Sullivan wrote: "Just made mean comments at gov brownback and told him he sucked, in person #heblowsalot."

The Shawnee Mission East senior says she did not actually talk to Brownback, and the post referenced a joke she had with a student on the trip.

The next day, she was called into the principal's office.

"I had no idea what it was about or why I was being called into the office," she said. "I had never been in trouble before."

A Brownback staffer had notified the principal, she said.

"My principal told me he needed to do damage control and was really upset," Sullivan said. "He said I was an embarrassment to the school and the school district and that I had been disrespectful."

The principal then asked her to write a letter of apology to Brownback and his staff. He set Monday as the due date for the letter.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Education • U.S.
  1. Informed

Seems like most have overlooked the real immorality of what she did. Her quote... "Just made mean comments at gov brownback and told him he sucked, in person #heblowsalot." She never talked to him at all is lie #1, and she never told him he sucked or lie #2. Her parents must be losers too to allow lying.

November 28, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  2. chrissy

wow cosmicvox where DO you live??? I need to set pimp dummy up on a *relocation plan* plan there so i can beat his ass *good and proper* lol just so he knows how it feels! You understand right? Lmao

November 28, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. chrissy

@ informed she didnt say she SAID it in person, she said he sucked but in person he blows alot sheesh, dont take a rocket scientist to get that. She thought he sucks but after meeting him she now thinks he blowsalot! Turns out she was right eh???

November 28, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Informed

You need to reread her poorly written statement. She said she made comments "AT" him meaning in person. This she did not do. She made the lying worse adding, "told him he sucked". She never told him anything, which was another lie. Her opinion is obviously that of a foolish child who needs better parenting.

November 28, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. bobcat ( in a hat )

@cosmicvox
    That sounds like one dangerous place to live. Police just stand by and let someone shoot another perso for calling him names ? All I can say is WOW.

November 28, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. chrissy

He did *blowalot* all outta proportion, just like a politician. Wonder how it felt to be taken down by an l8 yr old little girl? Maybe we should turn her little tweetin heart out on congress lmao

November 28, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  6. chrissy

Actually she didnt lie, there were many heckling him she was one of many, that was one of the things that was said. Most likely he didnt hear all of them. Watch the news sheesh it aint all gone be on a blog

November 28, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. chrissy

Her tweet said she made comments AT him, not TO him! There is a difference!

November 28, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

It was a tweet. Two thirds of the sh1t that people tweet are lies. Who gives a holy crap? Jesus God, let it go.
    She does NOT have to apologize for anything she DOESN'T feel sorry for.

What, did she hurt the poor govie wuvvie's feelings? What is he, 9?
    Sheesh!

November 28, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. **cosmicvox *

The one I was involved in happened in Hollywood CA outside a nightclub. The other happened in the pacific northwest. I hope that the principal of that school is made to apoligize to that girl because what she did on twitter was not the same thing at all!

November 28, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

I SAW the actual tweet on the news, Informed.
    It said exactly what was stated in the article above.

Stick to your guns, sweetie! No one should *ever* tell you how to think!

November 28, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

And she DID meet him, they all did, they were on a freakin field trip damn!

November 28, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

Hi, *cosmicvox*
    Hi, chrissy.

November 28, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

@chrissy:
    I know, right? Lmmfao!

November 28, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  14. chrissy

whatever banasy i did too, and you know im gonna stick to mine!

November 28, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  15. chrissy

You gettin this nasty weather banasy? Sposed to snow tomorrow YUK! I am not ready i tell ya.

November 28, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |