Lions' Suh gets two-game suspension after Thanksgiving stomp on Packer
Ndamukong Suh argues with a referee after being ejected from the Thanksgiving Day game against the Packers.
November 29th, 2011

Lions' Suh gets two-game suspension after Thanksgiving stomp on Packer

Ndamukong Suh was not in the holiday spirit during the Detroit Lions' 27-15 loss to the undefeated rival Green Bay Packers on Thanksgiving.

Now, barring an appeal, the Lions defensive tackle will miss two games without pay for stomping Evan Dietrich-Smith, and at least one observer believes Suh should give thanks for the suspension.

If you were in a tryptophan haze and missed or forgot the altercation, you can check it out here. The video shows Dietrich-Smith block Suh to the ground before Suh turns him over, shoves his helmet into the turf and, as two Packers intervene, stomps Dietrich-Smith's arm while the Packers offensive lineman is lying on the ground.

Suh's reaction after the incident drew almost as much criticism as the act itself. He said he was trying to catch his balance and didn't intentionally step on Dietrich-Smith. You can decide for yourself after watching the aforementioned video, but Suh backtracked from this defense, which critics say was weaker than the New York Giants' on Monday night.

Later, via Facebook, Suh apologized, saying, “My reaction on Thursday was unacceptable. ... I made a mistake, and have learned from it. I hope to direct the focus back to the task at hand - by winning.” He also called NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and apologized for his behavior, according to ESPN.

There's lots of talk saying Suh is a dirty player who likes to beat up quarterbacks, he's faced league discipline in the past, he's been fined tens of thousands of dollars - and this is just his sophomore year. But the NFL Playbook blog points out that Suh was getting as good as he was giving prior to the stomp.

"On several plays, Green Bay’s guards ... got a nice hold of Suh’s shoulder pads, and, a couple times, his facemask. We saw two instances in the second quarter, specifically, where Dietrich-Smith tugged at his helmet gear. That’s on top of all of the everyday scraps and blocks to the legs a stud DT has to handle," the blog reported. "What had to be even more frustrating for Suh? The Packers blocked him pretty well."

Sports Illustrated's Chris Burke wrote that in addition to the financial blow - Suh will miss about $164,000 in game-day pay as he sits out against the New Orleans Saints and Minnesota Vikings - the Lions will doubtless miss their 2010 defensive rookie of the year as they scrap it out with the Chicago Bears for second place in the NFC North and, perhaps, a wild-card berth in the playoffs (sorry, Lions fans, catching the Packers seems wildly unlikely).

But Burke says Suh should take his suspension - and like it.

"The two-game suspension is fair punishment for what Suh did," Burke wrote. "And instead of hassling with an appeal, the smartest move he could make now is to take his medicine, sit out the next two weeks and do his best to repair the damage he’s done - to his reputation and to his team - once he returns."

Post by:
Filed under: Football • Michigan • Pro football • Sports • Uncategorized • Wisconsin
  1. Judegeol

I think he got off light. It was a dirty play and after that he decided to lie to the world about what happened.

November 29, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jaimie

Then maybe Clay Matthews should take those same anger management classes

November 29, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

That is a very ignorant comment considering the fact that Clay Matthews has never acted that way and has never had an unsprotsmanlike conduct penalty. Your comment makes no sense.

November 29, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Matt

Yeah, I'm a Lions fan and this made me so disappointed. It basically cost us any chance at winning the game, and just made the whole team look bad. We should be the good guys, not dirty players.

November 29, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. upstateny

This guy is a repeat offender. What they SHOULD do is to suspend players for the remainder of the season without pay for blatant and flagrant behavior and take two points of the score. This will solve the problem in a hurry because the owners, teamates and coaches will not tolerate this. This "extra" violent behavior and anger is more than just testerone , adrenaline, and passion for the game it's steroids and or anger. I think everyone that watches football has seen a player pick up another player and throw him down AFTER the play, or smash another players face into the ground AFTER the play...it's no doubt a very aggressive sport but there are things happening on the field more frequently and much more than there used to be.

November 29, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gary

Sorry but the bookies would start executing refs and NFL big whigs for implementing the taking points away. And there are many many more repeat offenders,that have done far more dangerous like the helmet to helmet hits on repeat offenders,why aren't they suspended or kicked out of the league as you suugest Suh should be?

November 29, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • upstateny

GARY....you are absolutely correct. I should have looked at the money angle.

November 29, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Emilio

Two game suspension is hardly enough punishment for Suh's thuggish behavior. These guys need to understand that the NFL is an entertainment business; it is a facet of show business, and as such the organization's aim is to sell their product to as a wide an audience as possible. Speaking as a consumer of the NFL product, I respect and admire sportsmanship above anything else that I see from the NFL and the thuggish behavior of people like Suh just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The game is already violent enough without the gratuitous addition from people like Suh, who should have been given at least a six match ban.

November 29, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. mike21954

No where near enough. Should let him "cool off" for the next 6 games. And the next time he does it, which he will. ban his big butt for life. But they won't 'cause it's all about the money and tv ratings.

November 29, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Paul

That was a disgusting display – a man's body with a child's temperament. This is not the first time. He should be removed from the sport.

November 29, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ToonPirate

I do believe Suh should have been taken off of the field in handcuffs.

November 29, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. snowdogg

What is this guy's problem? If he doesn't get help with "impulse control" there probably will be yet another incident.

November 29, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  10. RC

.........Show players – and the kids who look up to them.....I would never look up to an athlete..
    like Farve..Roth" worthless" berg.....and all the other players that think their gods..hardly, this is not the worst I've ever seen an athlete behave,
    it's in the heat of battle, we put so much on them...with your worthless fantasy football....jerseys etc.
    keep in mind these guys are coached to destroy the other team.....

November 29, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

@ gumbalay, that was a true ignorant statement! And even tho i personally did not like what SUH did i certainly can see what made him do it even if it was a childish way to resolve those issues, and only hurt the team! He needs to put the team lst!

November 29, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. John

I think the two game suspension is about right for what Suh did and yes I'm disappointed that he plays for Detroit for I"m a big Lions fan, I have been even when they went 0-16. I bet you any money the people saying he should be kicked out of the NFL wouldn't be saying that if it was it was a player on the team they root for that did the stomp. I could be a little biased because of where he plays, but some of these comments posted here just seems like it OK just as long as the player isn't from my team.

November 29, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

I wouldn't care. In fact, if he played for "my team," I'd be all the more pressed to get rid of him. He taints the honor of the Lions, and materially hurts them (obviously – not exactly inconsequential to go from 3rd to 1st and goal, based on his idiocy). There is tough playing, and there is thug playing. Suh is a thug, and should be banned from the sport.

November 29, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. B Overby

If the NFL had any class at all, they'd throw this animal out of the league....

November 29, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Husker

Suh is still my favorite football player of all time. I hope he's able to shake this off and move on. No one is perfect, i don't care what anyone on this blog says.

Stay strong, Suh.

November 29, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. chrissy

ah i see they removed gumbalays post. GOOD! No need for racist comments.

November 29, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • ^Ignorant truth^

Are you done making racist comments? I'm not even black but if you said that to my face I'd knock you out. You have guts over the internet. I'm sure you just tiny fat kid who needs attention in his mommy's basement.

November 29, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |