November 29th, 2011

Video shows Houston police shooting armed man

Video has surfaced of Houston police officers shooting an armed man in a downtown park.

Police said 21-year-old Joshua Anthony Twohig was armed with a rifle and fired several shots inside Tranquility Park near an area where Occupy Houston protesters were gathered on November 21.

Houston police said they shot Twohig after attempts were made to have him drop his weapon. He suffered several gunshot wounds and was transported to a hospital with nonlife-threatening injuries. Twohig is charged with aggravated assault against a public servant.

Bicycle officers A. Cantos and H. Lam said they were on patrol when they heard gunshots and saw Twohig standing on a bridge near the park's fountains and pond holding a weapon. When the officers approached the scene and told Twohig to drop his rifle, they said he fired his weapon into the pond and then gestered as if he was intending to commit suicide. Police said Twohig then screamed "shoot me, shoot me" toward the officers.

At about this point, police said a witness began recording video of the incident, which CNN obtained from a Houston TV station.

The video shows Twohig dressed in a suit holding a gun to his head. Officers are heard on the video shouting commands to Twohig before they shot him.

CNN affiliate KTRK reports it spoke with Twohig's family after the incident. They did not want to comment about the shooting and told KTRK not to contact them again. KTRK said the name of an attorney for Twohig has not been released at this point.

"We don't know his motives - that being said, he was not a member of the Occupy movement that we know of," Occupy Houston protester Dustin Phipps told KTRK.

"I'm glad that the gentleman did not point his gun at all these innocent people here," witness David Loeser told KTRK.

1. chrissy

@ Jim, i dont think you need us to give you the answer to that! You should already know it was.

November 29, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Conscience is just a feeling, chrissy, and God, free will and the (essentialist) self are illusions. My response can't be Wrong when there is no Right. There is only the small r and w chrissy right and wrong in this world, and that's just socio-cultural-historically relative.

November 29, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • TC Smythe

Chrissy – not that you would believe anyone, but I am a frequent visitor of that camp and I am familiar with all the folks there. The gentleman was not part of our group. We wish him (and you) well in any case.

November 29, 2011 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Richard Kimball

One armed man?

November 29, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • lildobber

🙂

November 29, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • lildobber

I know... you is da fugitive...

November 29, 2011 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Schmedley

Sounds like attempted suicide by cop to me...

November 29, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wow

Brilliant deduction...

November 29, 2011 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jiao

@Jim: yes, I think that's funny, and I also think you are a lying sack of sh1t.

November 29, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. MMallon

Which "public servant" is this man being accused of assaulting? It sounds like he was threatening to kill himself and the police had to subdue him, but that at no point did he have a weapon pointed at any of them.

November 29, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

If they hadn't shot him, he might have shot himself! Did you even consider that possibility?

November 29, 2011 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • TC Smythe

He was threatenig himself mostly, but the gun was waving about in all directions. When he lunged for it after being shot the first time, there could be no doubt what was on his mind.

November 29, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • forreal89

He had a rifle and can turn at any time and shoot anyone else in the area.

November 30, 2011 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

@Jim:
    I'll say this: you have imagination...
    I was going to ask how you blogged, but anyone who could shave with their foot has probably got that down pat...

November 29, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

LOL. I was going to go further and describe being pulled around the neighborhood in a wagon by my dog who ran into the street and was hit by a car and killed. I was seven, and being armless, I couldn't stop him. The Internet is fun!

November 29, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

MMallon:

Perhaps the assault had taken place before they started shooting the video.

Ummm...what do *you* think he should have been charged with?
    Just curious.

November 29, 2011 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. PS

The dude filming was lucky he didn't take a stray. He was almost directly in the line of fire. That last round hit the water and could have easily skipped.

November 29, 2011 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. TC Smythe

As a Houstonian I am very proud of the way our law enforcement handled the situation. Unlike other cities where the police harass and overstep, this one has a good understanding of what "to serve and protect" means. The camp was grateful and expressed as much at the city council meeting afterward. It isn't always bad news to see the police around here. Dialogue works! Monlogues don't.

November 29, 2011 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Rick

Good job....anyone else want to come out and play with your damn guns in public?

November 29, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

@Jim:
    Stick around, please.
    *You're* fun!
    Warped, but fun.
    I mean that as a compliment, off course...

November 30, 2011 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Thank you. I think I'm more amusing online than in person. I just relate to people better virtually. Strange. Maybe it's Aspergers. No, I'm not kidding. Sometimes I'll say something that I assume everyone knows is a joke and people take me seriously. (Sid Barret, Pink Floyd: "What exactly is a dream, and what exactly is a joke?") Anyway, I'm going to bed now. I'll see you guys around the Internet!

November 30, 2011 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  12. Showmeyerpapers

Gloria allred touched me innapropriately and i liked it

November 30, 2011 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

Doh!
    Meant *of* course...fat finger syndrome this p.m.

November 30, 2011 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

Gloria Allred touches everybody inappropriately...get in line.

November 30, 2011 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |