Former Ivory Coast President Laurent Gbagbo arrived Wednesday at the International Criminal Court in The Hague to stand trial for his role in his country's post-election violence that killed thousands.
"Mr. Gbagbo allegedly bears individual criminal responsibility, as indirect co-perpetrator, for four counts of crimes against humanity, namely murder, rape and other forms of sexual violence, persecution and other inhuman acts, allegedly committed in the territory of CĂ´te d'Ivoire between 16 December 2010 and 12 April 2011," the court said in a statement.
He was flown out of the northern city of Khorogo, where he had been under house arrest, on an airplane of the Ivorian government Tuesday evening, said his adviser, Toussaint Alain.
Alain called it an illegal transfer. "The international court has taken an illegal action. This is a political decision rather than a decision of justice," Alain said.
The action comes a week before parliamentary elections. Three political parties in an umbrella coalition (CNRD) with Gbagbo's Front Populaire Ivorien issued a statement saying they would boycott the elections as a result of Gbagbo's transfer.
Last month, the chief prosecutor for the International Criminal Court, Luis Moreno-Ocampo, arrived in Ivory Coast to meet with government and opposition leaders and began an inquiry into the West African nation's post-election violence.
In his application to the judges for authorization to investigate possible war crimes and crimes against humanity, Moreno-Ocampo cited sources who said at least 3,000 people were killed, 72 people disappeared and 520 others were subject to arbitrary arrest and detentions since the November 28, 2010FULL STORY