Arab League warns Syria of foreign intervention 'dangers'
Arab League Secretary General Nabil al-Arabi, left, and Qatari P.M. Hamad ben Jassem attend meeting to discuss Syria.
December 1st, 2011

Arab League warns Syria of foreign intervention 'dangers'

The Syrian regime can "avoid the dangers of a foreign intervention" if it agrees to an Arab League plan to defuse the conflict, the league's secretary-general told CNN on Thursday.

Arab League Secretary-General Nabil el-Araby said the government hasn't accepted the league plan to send observers into the country to monitor the government's response to civil unrest. But he said the Syrian government has a chance to overcome the crisis by agreeing to the idea.

"The Syrian government is not complying with the Arab initiative plan and their inability to stop the violence is what led to the escalation of the procedures of the sanctions against it," el-Araby said in a statement.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Syria
  1. RUFFNUTT

I'm just wondering when the stupid Arab leaders will do something stupid like intervening militarily in Syria on behalf of the U.S. and NATO. I'm afraid that won't be long, unfortunately.

December 1, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  2. aurelius

This historical moment was made possible by Obama's revolutionary new approach to foreign policy in several parts of the world, including Burma where a similar success story is unfolding. We, with Obama as our leader, have finally realize that getting our nose in other people business openly and publicly can only bring opposition and resentment. This success story is directly tied to Obama's new policy, which is to stay out and act, perhaps, behind close door. That may just have saved us from entering new wars and having to pay for them. Congratulations Mr. President. May you be re-elected next year. Vietnam Vet

December 1, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT

Come on aurelius, kindly spare us the right-wing manure, will you? You seem to forget that Obama keeps on slaughtering thousands of people in both Afghanistan and Pakistan with those ungodly drones month after month. That man has more blood on his hands than the Chicago mob!!!

December 1, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  3. George Patton

I couldn't agree more, aurelius.
    Obama is a great man!!! He deserves our respect!!!

December 1, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Jesse Cook

Thanks anyway, George. Although you're not the true George Patton here, I still agree with you 100%! But then again, I'm just an ignorant Tea Partier so what do I really know???

December 1, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. George Patton

Obviously aurelius isn't right wing, you pile of sh1t fake RUFFNUTT, if he's behind Obama 100%, but YOU are 100% a thief of names!!!

December 1, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)

Sorry, George. I knew that it was only a matter of time before one of these Tea Party idiots would start trolling you. Again, it goes to show just how much these bozoes here envy you, but don't pay any attention to them, the morons!!!

December 1, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. BOMBO

It's hard to read the Arab League sometimes. Does this statement mean "be careful because there are a lot of other countries who might like to bomb you, and we can't stop them", or do they mean that they are ready to ask the UN and NATO to "enforce another no-fly zone to protect civilians"?

December 1, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  6. bobcat ( in a hat )

@BOMBO
    The request for NATO intevention was my first thought. Like I said before, It's an Arab thing, Let the Arabs handle it.

December 1, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Limbs

Blame it on obama? I dont see any of you fixing the problem. As a matter of fact i dont see an explanation as to why they are having a conflict in syria anyways? So why are they fighting in the first place?

December 1, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Limbs

Just like witchs at black masses ,the generals gather in there masses,ozzy osborne was right!!!

December 1, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. chrissy

@ jesse no one is who they seem here, best advice, trust no one, they would just as soon stick a knife in your back as look at you!

December 1, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Herkimer Schwartz

It is too true. Some people are pretty sure of who other people are. But at times no one is sure of who anyone is.

December 1, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat ( in a hat )

Sometimes I wonder if it's not just one right-wing, Tea Partying jerk doing it all. You never know!!

December 1, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. BOMBO

Like I said, I sometimes wonder if you are all just one guy messing with my mind.

December 1, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Herkimer Schwartz

That's right, BOMBO. With these Tea Partiers here, you can never be sure. They're always stealing other peoples' names and posting their right-wing drivel under them. Just look at what they're doing to George Patton above, for instance!!!

December 1, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bobcat (in a hat)

@fake bobcat (in a hat) at 7:37 PM--I"m sure you could answer that better than anyone. BTW I don't use right wing or teapartying in my posts.
    @fake Herkimer at 7:32 PM He doesn't use tea party talk either.
    @BOMBO
    I'm pretty sure George Patton is all of the above. He likes to make comments and then answer himself using other names.

December 1, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. George Patton

As the real George Patton, I'd like to say disregard most of the comments above. It's my mindless liberal troll again. In my day, we wouldn't take any crap from Assad. We'd get in, crush him and his minions, and get back out quick and easy.

God bless America!