Amanda Knox, Raffaele Sollecito working on book deals
Amanda Knox and Raffaelle Sollecito are seen in an Italian court during their trial.
December 5th, 2011

Amanda Knox, Raffaele Sollecito working on book deals

Amanda Knox may be one step closer to telling the world her side of the story about her saga of being wrapped up in an Italian murder trial that caught the world's eye.

Knox, who recently returned home to the United States after winning an appeal of her conviction, has officially inked a deal with attorney Robert Barnett to represent her when it comes to book deals.

Knox was convicted in 2009 of murder, sexual assault, possession of a weapon, interfering with a crime and theft in relation to the murder of her roommate Meredith Kercher. But during an appeal this year, a jury cleared Knox of those charges, freeing her. The court also cleared her Italian ex-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito.

"[Barnett will] represent her in discussions with various book publishers who have expressed an interest in Amanda writing a book," David Marriott, the Seattle public relations specialist hired by the Knox family during her trial told CNN by e-mail. "Mr. Barnett will also assist Amanda and her family in evaluating other opportunities as well."

Barnett is well-known for brokering major book deals with several high-profile figures including: President Barack Obama, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, Hillary Rodham Clinton, Laura Bush, Bob Woodward and Sarah Palin among several other notables.

Marriott told CNN they had no further details to share about where they were in the process or whether Knox already had anything written. Knox's family has said she enjoys writing and thought she would be interested in sharing her ordeal with others either through writing a book or becoming an advocate.

Knox makes emotional return to Seattle

Knox's announcement came about a week after her former boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito inked a deal of his own. Sollecito signed with Seattle-based Martin Literary Management.

“This is a case I have followed from day one and never, not even for a moment, have I doubted the innocence of Raffaele Sollecito and Amanda Knox,” Sharlene Martin said in a news release. “I’m honored to work with this fine young man and let the world know the real Raffaele — a sensitive, compassionate and heartfelt person."

"He's never really spoken about that night and this is his opportunity to do so," Martin told CNN. "There's much more to Raffaele than what the world has seen. He is an amazing young man. He is brave, he is heartfelt, he is compassionate. I think he is an incredible young man with a story to tell."

Martin said that both her client and Knox have been in the spotlight for so long and while she just learned about Knox's deal, she is excited for them both to share their stories. She also said the caliber of Knox's agent speaks to how important it is for her story to be told.

"I think Amanda is very fortunate to have him," Martin said. "It speaks volumes for a man of his integrity to want to represent her story and I think it will distinguish her from other crime stories and I think it will help Raffaele."

Martin said that Sollecito's book will be a memoir and will cover several aspects of his life, not just the four-year saga in Perugia, Italy. Martin said they're currently looking for American writers who can also speak with Sollecito in Italian to work on the book.

She said while Knox's story may have been more heavily covered in the media, because she's American, she believes both of the former co-defendants have a lot to share with those who only saw them through the court proceedings.

"They both have equally important stories to tell," Martin said. "They have both been incredibly affected by the death of Meredith Kercher and will always be."

1. Sophie

There are many people who still believe she's guilty. I'm one of them. I've been following this story since the very beginning and this conclusion is based on what I've read and seen from media outlets around the world. I'm not interested in starting a debate. I just want to point out that especially outside of America, people remain quite divided in regards to her innocence.

December 6, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Atlanta_Georgia

I agree with you. I believe she's guilty. It will be so funny when she and her bf actually write the book and the whole world see inconsistencies in their voices and determine both are guilty.

December 6, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • edward

Sophie, the people like you who still believe she is guilty are either insane, ignorant and misinformed, or full of envy and rage. All antiknoxites at this point, it is safe to say, have abandoned any sense of reason. I wonder what motivates you? Are you that unhappy? Is it boredome? Give it up and I would even go as far to suggest that you seek professional help.

December 6, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • NotSoSpecific

Where do you live that you've been following this story and still find her guilty? The UK? The people of that country are the only ones who seem to believe that Amanda Knox is guilty. I was living in Italy when this happened. I knew IMMEDIATELY that she was not guilty.

December 6, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Arthur uzo

she is guilty of murder, guilty of lieing, guilty of lack of moral. She is the lowest of low. Tasteless and disgusting. Trying to benefit from murder? Shame on you Amanda

December 6, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Arthur uzo

Disgusting and shameless. How low can they go. They got away with murder, now they want to make money out of it.

December 6, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jose

Is she going to tell us whether SHE stabbed Kercher ten times or twenty times ?????

December 6, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  4. James

If you are pretty, white, blue eyes, you will get away with whatever and come out smelling like roses and America loves you.

December 6, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Sam Walton

I totally concur...

December 6, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. kizi420

Hey oj did it first then they pulled the book

December 6, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  6. The Giant Peach

James is a moron. Oj and MJ both got away with their respective crimes.

December 6, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  7. God

Don't worry everybody.. She's got another trial when she comes up here. Politicians can't pay me off.

December 6, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  8. adnama

I just have one simple question: If she didn't do it then who did?

December 6, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
    • edward

UH HES IN JAIL IDIOT! RUDY GUEDE

December 6, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Arthur uzo

The really killers or joint killers are free (Amanda is one of their name)

December 6, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Atlanta_Georgia

If I was she, I will shut up. The more you said, the more truth will leak out or that she has to tell more lies to cover up previous lies.

December 6, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • edward

If I were's you, i'd git to sum schoolin and learn me some graemmmer.

December 6, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Arthur uzo

PR Edward the Amanda defence machine.

December 6, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Melissa

So sad. In this country it has become guilty even if proven innocent. Personally? I don't know either way and I don't care. I am not a god and I don't play one on the interwebz!

December 6, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  11. JS

its horrible

December 6, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  12. OregonTom

I just want to see her naked.

December 6, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  13. DN3

I didn't follow the trial or story closely but just hearing about her inappropriate behaviour at the police station makes me believe that she is not the type of person who would be responsible for murdering someone. Although I know she's book smart and sports smart having made the Dean's list at U of W, she is clueless when it comes to certain life skills. Who does yoga poses at a police station prior to their interview as a witness/suspect for murder (of her own roommate!)?? Who stands smiling and laughing with their BF outside the scene of the crime when they know that their roommate was just brutally murdered?? I do have a sense that she's innocent at the end of the day but only she knows if she is guilty or not.

December 6, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  14. John

She is getting advice from OJ Simpson on how to write the book.

December 6, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |