Overheard on CNN.com: GOP race vs. Trump's 'Apprentice'
Donald Trump will be moderating a December 27 presidential forum, just days before the Iowa caucuses.
December 5th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: GOP race vs. Trump's 'Apprentice'

Some of the most interesting comments today came from a story about Donald Trump calling Jon Huntsman and Ron Paul "joke candidates" after they opted not to attend the presidential forum he's moderating in December. Readers thought the whole situation seemed pretty bizarre.

Trump hits 'joke candidates' Paul and Huntsman

"This is absurd," wrote commenter mdn. "A real estate mogul, who has been bankrupt more than once, is hosting a presidential debate? Only the Republicans could think of this. This sort of thing diminishes the Republicans and the electoral process. Thankfully Paul and Hunstman recognize that and have stepped back. True that they don't have a real chance of becoming president, but they do elevate the discussion. How does Don Thump, who endorsed Obama in '08, get this kind of street cred with the Republicans?"

Many made reality TV allusions. Rudy NYC wrote:

"I wonder if everyone will sit around a big board room sized conference table with Trump at the head. You know, sort of like they do on Trump's reality show. (I never watch it. I think four people trying make 4-foot-tall cakes is more interesting.) This debate could secretly be a model for an upcoming new reality show of his, 'The Candidate.' "

tigerakabj also lampooned Trump's projects: "With Cain out, it's time to name the GOP primary into 'The Presidential Apprentice Show,' starring Donald 'Where's your birth certificate?' Trump with the supporting cast Uncle Rush 'Oxycontin' Limbaugh, Sarah 'Mama Grizzly' Palin, and Cousin Sean 'I Never Lie' Hannity. The candidates can win the game if they can placate the hosts' egos and provide an extra path for them to make a quick buck at everybody's expense. If they can't pull their weight, 'They're fired!' "

But of course, Trump had some defenders who said that maybe this guy has a point after all.

Jason: "Like him or not, Trump is another guy telling it like it is. Paul and Huntsman have no chance of winning. Paul is somewhat of a wack-job and could never be elected as president. While he has some solid positions, they are marginalized by his crazy opinions on so many other issues. Huntsman has a great grasp of foreign policy, but his opinions differ too much from the Republican base to win a national election. Frankly the fact that McCain was the Republican candidate is probably the reason Obama won. McMain was too far off the Republicans' base positions to get them interested. I think Gingrich, while not perfect on every issue, has solutions to a number of our nations problems."

This story really had people chatting, but there were other topics people wanted to discuss. We spotted interesting comments on stories about technology and space.

Tech firm wants to ban office e-mail

We posted earlier today about planned cuts at the U.S. Postal Service due in large part to changing technology and Internet innovations such as e-mail. But it turns out e-mail isn't immune from change, either. One company seeks to ban all e-mail in the office, asking employees to use phone calls, instant messaging and face-to-face communication instead. Our commenters were eager to discuss their love-hate relationships with their inbox. Some would be eager to ditch their e-mails.

"I fully approve," said Blackadder23. "The fewer ways people have to contact me at work, the less work I have to do.  I wish I could create a total news blackout and catch up on some sleep."

There were also a lot of readers who said they actually really like all the e-mails they get.

"While the volume of frivolous e-mail gets a little ridiculous, banning it is even more ridiculous," said james1095. "I far prefer to get an email from someone over a phone call or cubicle visit. With the e-mail, I have an instant record of the information I can sort and refer back to. With other methods, I have to take the time to write it down elsewhere or it risks getting buried and forgotten. " JoeySz agreed:

"Sounds like maybe they need a spam filter and a new CEO.  E-mail is an invaluable asynchronous queue for human workflow tasks, with built-in audit trails, prioritization, mass distribution, etc.  It is fully complementary to face-to-face or telephone contact, as well as instant messaging.  All have their purpose, and all were adopted for their unique value.  I see approximately 0% of companies following in these footsteps."

Many readers weren't fans of instant messaging:

citizen782: "I don't see the value in keeping an IM client open all day for others to interrupt me through.  That would result in much greater productivity loss than interoffice e-mail.  It's like someone coming through the office door and demanding attention while I'm in the middle of something more important."

Planet confirmed that could have water

NASA scientists say the Kepler mission has uncovered its first confirmed planet in the "habitable zone" around a star. In other words, it could have water, sparking a great series of discussions about what that might mean for humanity.

We featured some of the conversations on the Light Years blog, including this exchange about whether water really means life:

Edward: "The whole point of this is not whether we are going to get there. It is so people know that mathematically we are most likely not alone. So the more planets with possible water gets closer to proving that point."

nsr007: "You assume that other life forms need water to survive just because the ones on Earth do."

What do you think about all these stories? Got any comments of your own? Share your opinion below and in the latest stories on CNN.com. If you're up for getting on camera, be sure to sound off on video via CNN iReport.

1. banasy©

Sorry for the typo.
    Fell down yesterday, and messed up my knee and ankle.
    Can't work for a few days; y'all are probably stuck with me.

December 6, 2011 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  2. gung hoe

Comeon phil go take your psych meds and come back after youve jumped off the bridge a couple times

December 6, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  3. gung hoe

@banasy the trump one they removed his right after I posted mine now my post is there by itself looks stupid

December 6, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  4. gung hoe

See I told ya banasy you attrack all the weirdos

December 6, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  5. David

I have an all new philosophy on voting. I am SO SICK and tired of listening to some brainwashed mainstream media employees spouting constantly the words they've been TOLD to spout by their masters. Ron Paul has NO CHANCE. For THIS REASON. EVERY ELECTION. I will watch the mainstream media, and listen to who they say CANNOT WIN. And that will be the one I will vote for. Because I have come to the realistic conclusion, that if the individual is bad for mainstream media, then they are GOOD FOR ME.

December 6, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Bec

I agree. I don't want to hear their pre-written speeches. I want to see them when they're not with their handlers. I want to see them when they're just talking in a normal conversation...that's who they really are! I mean, even that moron Michelle Bachmann can sound somewhat smart when she is being handled by her handlers and pre-written speeches. It's a good thing most people know that this woman is clueless!!

December 7, 2011 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
  6. Kelly

Dusty, I want you to stop posting your nasty stuff about good people. Quit pretending your gay!

December 6, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  7. Queenie Eugenie (in a bottle)

@ gung hoe, gay gung is roadsniper dear, he hates you for some reason. Prolly cuz you have friends and he has none!

December 6, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  8. Queenie Eugenie (in a bottle)

@ dennis, EVERYONE knows it was philip eugene douglas and his cohore mary that posted banasys phone number!!!

December 6, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  9. DJR

CNN's Nicole Saidi:
    I am having trouble with my internet, so please re-send me your e-mail at the address I just posted this under.
    I would be very appreciative.
    Thank you for your help in advance.

Sincerely,
    DJR

December 6, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • nsaidi

Hi DJR, I just sent an e-mail to that address you just used, but I got a bounceback. (Thanks for responding, by the way.) You (and I suppose anyone else) can e-mail me any issues directly at [first.last]@turner.com if you wish. Please send a link or headline of the story and if possible the time that it occurred, or a brief description of what happened. Best!

December 6, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • nsaidi

And yes I did just change my screenname, but it's still the same me.

December 6, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  10. gung hoe

Is that true gay gung . That you are nothing more than road trash geez what a disappointment there road garbage see if you would just use your own s n dusty

December 6, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  11. saywhat

@ David

You are not far off the mark on this one. Voices of sanity like that of Ron Paul would be eased out by lobbies & media, unless of course the people chose otherwise.

December 6, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ronvan

Good old Trump, with his perfect hair, and "sun tan", except for around his eyes! I knew the republicans were messed up but this one takes the cake! A clown show with the chief clown asking the questions.

December 6, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jean Jones

My take on Donald Trump is that he will have an Apprentice series on TV, featuring 10 teenagers seeking an apprenticeship. He will fire nine and keep one, as he has done on his other shows. Now, how is this helping young people from a disadvantaged background? Looks like Donald Trump is the one who will reap the most benefits from Gingrich's idea. Donald Trump always seeks his own advantage. He will tell any lie about President Obama that suits his purpose. Check out his statements. You'll see the lies. How can anyone have any respect for him? He is a narcissist, not a patriot.

December 6, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Brandt Hardin

Trump is a windbag and full of hot air… all that fuss and guffaw will drop like his blood pressure after a double-tap shotgun blast to the head. Watch him get his and see if that hair is even real when the guns come out on the Zombie Walk of Fame at http://dregstudiosart.blogspot.com/2011/10/07-countdown-to-halloween-donald-trump.html

December 6, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. arale norimaki

Another loser who has already filed for bankruptcy on himself Donald Trump

December 6, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |