December 6th, 2011

Clinton calls for probe of Russian vote

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton called Tuesday for a "full investigation" of irregularities in Sunday's parliamentary elections in Russia, citing "serious concern" about the vote.

Shortly after she spoke, the Central Election Commission announced that Prime Minister Vladimir Putin's party suffered a large loss of seats in the election.

United Russia will have 238 seats, down from more than 300 in the outgoing parliament, or Duma, Central Election Commission head Vladimir Churov announced with 99.99% of ballots counted.

United Russia polled just under 50%, preliminary results showed earlier.

The Communist party will have 92 seats, A Just Russia will have 64, and the Liberal Democrats will have 56, Churov said.

Moscow braced for opposing rallies as the results were announced, and Russian security forces were on high alert.

The opposition Other Russia party announced plans to demonstrate against the election results, while Putin's United Russia will hold a separate rally, the Interfax news agency reported.

Security forces will remain on alert until results are declared, the Interior Ministry said earlier Tuesday. Officials did not say how many extra security forces were deployed or what units they were from.

Clinton was speaking as ministers met at the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, whose election monitors also criticized the election.

FULL STORY
  1. Queenie Eugenie (in a bottle)

@ roadsniper posing as gung hoe, are you jealous cuz gung hoe has friends and you dont? listen to urself, the answer will come to you! You bein nasty doent earn friends, it only alienates everyone.

December 6, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jeff Frank ( R - OHIO ) "Яight Wing Иutcase"

What does an election result in Russia have to do with us anyways?

December 6, 2011 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  3. Vladimir 'Ras'Putin

That was good. Bring me more wine! MORE WINE!!

December 6, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  4. John F Kennedy

Rigging an election? That's horrible!

December 6, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  5. BOMBO

Hello! Report Abuse! You guys were on the ball yesterday. You deleted a couple of mine, and they weren't this bad.

December 6, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  6. George W. Bush

Rigging an election? That's horrible!

December 6, 2011 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  7. Sovereign Copyright

@Bombo:
    Yeah, the ones that should be never are.
    Getting a little hypocritical of CNN, no?

December 6, 2011 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  8. BOMBO

Actually, the 1960 election WAS rigged, but which one are you suggesting was rigged in Bush's favour?

December 6, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  9. BOMBO

@ SC, actually, they seem to be on it this morning too. Good so far CNN. and I guess I need to watch my own posts now too, though I don't cross the lines THAT person does.

December 6, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

@ bombo, they are deleting the gay gung hoe thats a start. Now if they would assign the use of passwords that would stop ppl from trolling our ids and saying hurtful personal things.

December 6, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

I for one, am tired of people posting under my name saying awful things about my handicapped son. Its ignorant and just downright mean.

December 6, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeff Frank ( R - OHIO ) "Яight Wing Иutcase"

I have a disabled wife. There's been time's she's had to go to the Emergency Room either by squad or I'd have to take her and fully qualified physicians made degrading comments to her. Or she'll get stares at times. Really disheartening. Very rude and incredulous.

December 6, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • nsaidi

Hi there, I'm sorry you've had trouble here. I'm trying to help things here. One thing I would suggest is to be careful how you react to these people. There are commenters who say ridiculous things for no reason that they might not even mean, just to get some kind of rise out of it. Sad, but true. If their target gets hurt or angry, they win. Anyway, I hope we can improve things for you. Thanks for participating.

December 6, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jeff Frank ( R - OHIO ) "Яight Wing Иutcase"

До свидания. Свидания аллигатора

December 6, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO Pensive Russian Circus Clown

Где аллигатор идти? Будет ли он вынужден жить в канализации? Или это просто городская легенда?

December 6, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  13. BOMBO

Chrissy, agreed. The main CNN site already does this, so it's probably just a matter of time.

But they are also much less tolerant over there. Simple sarcasm gets you in trouble, sometimes.

December 6, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  14. Jeff Frank ( R - OHIO ) "Яight Wing Иutcase"

Bombo ... Я думаю, он обнаружил, Уилл Смит .. хе-хе

December 6, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  15. BOMBO

Jeff, HA!

What would I do without Google Translate. I'd actually have to learn Russian, I guess.

December 6, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |