December 7th, 2011

Sandusky arrested on new child rape charges

[Updated at 2:34 p.m. ET] Former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky was arrested Wednesday on additional child rape charges, which raise the number of alleged victims from eight to 10 people, the Pennsylvania attorney general's office said.

The new charges include four counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse and two counts of unlawful contact with a minor, involving two new alleged victims who were boys at the time of the alleged encounters.

Sandusky, who maintains his innocence, faces a preliminary hearing on December 13 at 8:30 a.m.

"Today's criminal charges were recommended by a statewide investigating grand jury, based on evidence and testimony that was received following the initial arrest of Sandusky on November 5," Pennsylvania Attorney General Linda Kelly said.

The new alleged victims - identified as Victim 9 and Victim 10 - encountered Sandusky at The Second Mile charity, a nonprofit organization he founded for underprivileged children.

Victim 9 was between 11 and 12 years old when he met the former coach around 2004, who allegedly gave him gifts and money and took the boy to university football games, according to the statement.

Sandusky allegedly met Victim 10 in 1997 after a counselor recommended the boy attend the charity "because of difficulties in his home life."

A grand jury report made public last month detailed 40 charges against the former coach in a child sex abuse scandal that, at the time, involved eight alleged victims, spanning 15 years.

A look at the grand jury report

The eight alleged victims identified in that report, like the two new accusers, first encountered Sandusky through the Second Mile, the attorney general's office said.

"As in many of the other cases identified to date, the contact with Sandusky allegedly fit a pattern of 'grooming' victims," Kelly said. "Beginning with outings to football games and gifts, they later included physical contact that escalated to sexual assaults."

FULL STORY
  1. Francois

he looks like a giant rabbit (maybe it's those two front teeth)......place him in Australia's Outback with all the other bunnies, far from children.

December 7, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. sockpuppet

I am still waiting for the wife to be charged with aiding and abetting, child endangerment, something! There is no way this sicko took boy after boy down to the basement for decades without her knowing what was going on. SHE DESERVES PUNISHMENT.

December 7, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sad

I never thought about that.

December 7, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. NorthbyNorthwest

In marketing it's said for every customer who complains there are 10 unhappy customers who didn't. If there are 10 victims coming forward, it's very possible there are a 100 victims staying silent. They need to reclaim their strength and dignity by making this sorry excuse for a human being pay for his crimes. God bless the 10 who were strong enough and brave enough to come forward and speak for them all. How many children will be saved from his abuse in the future because they did?

December 7, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

typical pedophiles molest 200-300 victims in their lifetime. THis is just a drop in the bucket. MOst victims won't want to come forward, and even those that do, the statue of limitations will be up

December 7, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  4. 666

The same activities have taken place throughout time… – going back to the Greek & Roman Empires. Perhaps even in the Creationism mythical time when the ‘Creationist jesus Freaks’ think Adam, Eve, and the Dinosaurs all played together at Michael Jackson’s Netherland Ranch; along with other little bois.

December 7, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

how is it that you managed to make this about creationism?

December 7, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Nurse143

Hopefully the new judge will refuse bail – to protect the public in case even one of the allegations might be true. I believe there are far more victims than currently reported, and it sickens me that the only proof a kid may be able to produce is witness corroboration from that shameless McQueary who walked away to call his dad when he could have intervened to stop a crime.

December 7, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jerry

I watched The Big Red One last night and it turned out to be some kind of war movie. Whatever.

December 7, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Seth

Look at his eyes in the photo provided. They dont say to me "the devil made me do it." To me, I am looking into the eyes of the devil himself, makes me sick everytime I hear more about him.

December 7, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. joey

come one , joe pa students, lets riot

December 7, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Skegeeace

MORE?!?!?!

December 7, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Burt

Sandusky still has a vote on the Harris Poll for college football. His vote is used in the BCS.

December 7, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alison

Okay...

December 7, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nick A

So with all this going on hurting children and taking advantge of children through an organization that was supposed to be there to help them and all you can think about is Sandusky still has a vote that could effect the BCS?

December 7, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. susan

some people have to say something insignificant and blubbery. Really, you shouldn't even be 'trying' to reply. let the intelligent people write something worthwhile.

December 7, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. irbsod

I bet his bail goes up a little!! What a creep.

December 7, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sad

This man preyed on boys that were already vulnerable. How many of them were then victimized? How many of them have already fallen through the cracks? We all know that there are far more victims, but some will not come foward.

December 7, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  14. bullrider45238

What the hell is wrong with the folks still defending this creep? Are you loyal to footbAll or just THAT LOYAL TO YOUR FELLOW PEDOPHILES? Obviously I have my opinion. Why don't you think of what these kids went thru, especially since no one around even bothered to do a damn thing to save them. That group murdered every one of these kids. Absolutely wiped off the earth who they would have grown into. And I'm sure jerks supporting their RAPIST helps them so much. Have a brain and think bout the right people

December 7, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Fernando

I encountered a ring of these monsters in an out-of-the-way park many years ago while jogging. My urgent request for immediate police intervention to stop an ongoing crime against what appeared to be 6-8 boys who should have been in school was dismissed as too difficult as they had look-outs. They even admitted they were aware of the ongoing activities at the park. I suggested that the troopers dress like me, a jogger and carry their weapons under a sweat parka and they snapped back that I shouldn't be telling them how to do their job. I then insisted they take a license # and a day later I called back and they said they ran it and that particular guy was at-large felon who they apprehended with large state trooper raid on park. They put him away for many years. She kind of thanked me and suggested I call back if I ever see anything like that again, but on balance I was left with disappointment and cynicism at the reluctance of police and the total lack of citizen involvement in the park. You'd be surprised how many people look the other way.

December 7, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • THunter99

Too many people looked the other way, and then covered their @$$es, with this monster, too.

December 7, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |