Murder charges filed in 2008 slayings of Oklahoma girls
An undated photo from Oklahoma authorities shows Kevin Sweat, who has been charged with murder in two 2008 deaths.
December 9th, 2011

Murder charges filed in 2008 slayings of Oklahoma girls

A man in custody for a different case has been charged first-degree murder in connection with the 2008 shooting deaths of two Oklahoma girls, Okfuskee County authorities said in a news conference Friday afternoon.

Kevin Sweat, 25, had been charged with murder in the deaths of Skyla Jade Whitaker, 11 and Taylor Paschal-Placker, 13, who were found shot to death on a rural dirt road in Okfuskee County, Oklahoma, in June 2008.

Sweat was already behind bars in Seminole County (Oklahoma) Jail in his girlfriend's death when the new charges were filed, according to the state investigative bureau director.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Oklahoma
  1. Skinny Jenny

Good! Im glad they got the creep that did this–I remember when this happened and I was very saddened by this– there is so much crime in this country and no one is speaking out against it–I guess people's lives just arent that important anymore–

December 9, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Denman

Guess the journo writing this had to use the rest room. Facts? We don need no steenking facts!

December 9, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • R.T.

http://www.kotv.com is the CBS affiliate in Tulsa, OK. They have the story on the their home page.

December 9, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. anon

Glad to hear it. I was so worried that this case would never get solved.

December 9, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joel

So was I. This was horrific. As for Denman - he's just an uneducated troll.

December 9, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. The kid

Good. Now how about letting us know who the heck is charged with this? Why did it take so long to nail him/her? And did he/she confess?

December 9, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Chris

Google kevin sweat. Thats the suspect.

December 9, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bill, Bloomington Il

Palintwit. And she is still more honest than the Chicago mobster currently in the Whitehouse.

December 9, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sara

From the OKC news: http://www.koco.com/news/29963258/detail.html

December 9, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Carl

Here are more details easily found with Google, since the quality of CNN's details are lacking (again):

Kevin Sweat arrested, no motive yet. Kevin was arrested for killing his girlfriend (in her 20's), then was linked to the murder of the two younger girls. Pretty much a low life wacko.

December 9, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. You can call me ray

I've waited on this since I first heard of it. I am thrilled but I suspected there were two men as 2 different kinds of guns were used. I figured that the girls walked up on someone who had stopped on a country road to shoot some guns that were either hot or he was not supposed have because he was a felon and would go to prison if caught with a gun. The girls walk up on him ....see the gun – one whips out her cell phone and the killer knew he couldn't let the call go through. But – that's just my theory because it is all I can imagine that would make sense. I was hoping someone here might have some details.

December 9, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • zoundsman

Tulsaworld.com has more. He had a story he went back and used a 2nd gun, and claimed some kind of
      delusion, etc. A ruse for insanity? I don't know.

December 9, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mike

In even more other news, a bomb went off today.

December 9, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  11. zoundsman

Good linked story to the original report. Sounds like the town never rested. Also, the writer cites the makeshift memorial
    left at the site with stuffed animals, flowers gave solace to his anger and sadness. That makes me more understanding
    of the need of these roadside memorials I see for crash victims.

December 9, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. belladonna

Since he's already in jail charged with his fiance's murder, it makes me wonder if she knew/figured it out that he was the one to kill those girls, and he killed her to prevent her from turning him in. In any case, I hope this at least brings some closure to the families.

December 9, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. zoundsman

Tulsaworld.com has more details- a 25yr. old already in custody for 1st degree murder for slaying his
    23 yr. old girl friend. Authorities are trying to find the gun, and tightening up on evidence to connect him to
    the slaying of the 2 girls.

December 9, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  14. RusTnuts

Gotcha...pos!

December 9, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. You can call me ray

apparently he has already made a confession. the story is that he claims he shot "2 monsters" that approached him. sounds like he is laying ground for an insanity defense.

December 9, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |