Overheard on CNN.com: Readers hungry for 'burgeroids,' Christmas cookies
A twinned rainbow, pictured in foreground, happens rarely, when the primary bow splits in two.
December 9th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Readers hungry for 'burgeroids,' Christmas cookies

Good things abound in this world, and great comments put grins on our faces. In the spirit of the weekend that's coming, here are a few comments from today's news and feature stories that brought smiles to our faces:

1. Seeing double: Researchers find rainbow connection

A twinned rainbow happens when the primary bow splits in two. Scientists have found out more about how this rare event happens by using sophisticated computer science techniques. They say the effect would need regular raindrops as well as larger, hamburger-shaped droplets called "burgeroids." That little detail fueled our commenters' creativity.

RIcky Bobby: "If only those burgeroids were real burgers (i.e. cloudy with a chance of meatballs)! Now THAT would be something! Come on scientists, let's get to work."

Corey: "Now Im hungry for rainbows!!"

2. When classmates let the secret out of the sleigh bag

Santa Claus poses a conundrum for some families. What do you tell the kids? But relax, because we received a comment from Santa Claus himself:

SantaClaus: "As a matter of fact, my legal name is Santa Claus, and I'm a Bishop and Monk, as St. Nicholas was many centuries ago. Perhaps, children should know that Santa is an advocate for millions of children who are abused, neglected, exploited, abandoned, homeless, and institutionalized, especially the wards of the states, and believes that the greatest gift one can give is love, not presents. Blessings to all, Santa Claus."

3. It's not the holidays without befana cookies

Continuing the theme of the last item, Italian legend portrays La Befana as a good witch in the style of Santa Claus. Our Eatocracy blog took a look at this tradition, and we saw lots of touching anecdotes.

Nancy: "I totally get the secrecy thing. My Italian mother-in-law (God rest her soul) gave me her ginetti recipe by letting me watch her make them and then made me swear that the only person I could ever pass the recipe on to was my daughter. We have befana visit us on Three Kings Day here. My daughter is 13 but still expects a little something in her shoes. Buon Natale!"

4. What's so addictive about 'Words with Friends'?

CNN took a look at the game that Alec Baldwin couldn't put down, getting him kicked off an American Airlines plane. We saw lots of witty comments and one post from a user writing from a cat's perspective.

32slim32: "It sounds more like Baldwin was playing 'Angry Words.' "

ArtInChicago: "I love my catnip stuffed toybird, but there is a time and place for everything."

5, Boys don’t cry – even when they get snubbed for funky party rockers

CNN's Kat Kinsman writes that "many of us were heard collectively howling into the wind on Wednesday when it was announced that The Cure was passed over for induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in favor of the likes of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. There were a lot of great comments on this story, so we just picked one we liked. Be sure and read the whole piece.

Mike: "This article makes me wish I'd known you when I was a depressed teenager in the late '80s. The Cure were my lifeline then as well, and I still love them today. I confess I did come to love the Chili Peppers in college, but they don't have the same place in my heart, either. I cannot deny them their place in the Hall of Fame. But Robert Smith and his ragtag bunch of misfits will find their way there eventually, I'm positive of that!"

Share your opinion in the comments area below and in the latest stories on CNN.com. Or sound off on video via CNN iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Overheard on CNN.com • Science
  1. Portland tony

T.G.I.F. Were you guys celebrating some sort of secret religious calling when you put together this post?

December 9, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. chrissy

finally a fluff article to make you laugh! Should have one a day i think, laughter bein the best medicine and all!

December 9, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

@Portland Tony:
    CNN is telling us, "Enjoy! Life isn't all gloom and doom!"
    Because it isn't!

@chrissy, you're cracking me up!

Note to Robert Smith:
    The emo-goth look isn't so 'cool' when you're a fifty-something...but I love you guys and you'll get in the RRHF soon!

December 9, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Hey, chrissy,
    I'm not laughing, but I feel warm and nostalgic.
    I need some befana cookies.
    Non sono nato in Italia, veramente.

December 9, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. chrissy

hey banasy do you ever remember youre mom and her friends having cookie parties b4 the holidays? if there were l2 women they ea made l2 dozen of l kind, everyone chose a dif kind, then they got together and did a swap. they all went home w/ a doz dif kind

December 9, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

@JIF:
    Befana, Lola Falana.
    Most people call me Strega!

December 9, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. chrissy

a dozen of each and cookie baking was done wala pretty kewl idea eh? and joey if i knew what they were i would surely make em for ya! my kids always wanted banana oatmeal cookies!

December 9, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

@chrissy:
    My mother didn't do that...but she used to bake the most amazing cookies from recipes she got from *her* Momala..she has them all handwritten in a leather black binder the likes of which I haven't seen 1961!
    She won't let me have 'em, either!

December 9, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  9. chrissy

well my mom still made other cookies i think she just did it more for variety than anything else. she wouldnt ever admit it mighta been cuz the other moms couldnt afford to make dif kinds.

December 9, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. saywhat

More rainbow smiles around the world is what the world needs now more than ever.
    Let 'burgeroids' disperse the dark clouds of hate & war.
    @ banasy
    equally spreading warmth is this talk about Mom's cookies.

December 9, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bobcat (in a hat)

Lord you guys are making me hungry for cookies.
    How's it going guy and gals ?

December 9, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. chrissy

I have to admit i wasnt much in the christmas spirit but im gettin there now.

December 9, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

hey bobcat where have you been hiding?

December 9, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  14. chrissy

And i wanta give a special thanks to Nicole Saidi, this is just the perfect story for this day!

December 9, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. bobcat (in a hat)

I've been kind of doing one Joeys things. Got too much going on at once. I've been glancing at the posts from time to time, but haven't been able to respond. I see a lots been going on with the trolls. Hopefully nsaidi can get it under control.

December 9, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |