December 13th, 2011

Postal Service to delay closure plan

The U.S. Postal Service has agreed to hold off on closing any more post offices or mail facilities until May 15, 2012, to allow Congress time to work on a plan to save the service.

The service agreed to voluntarily enact a moratorium on closures, after a series of talks with senators. Sen. Richard Durbin said the postal service agreed to the deal, and he called it a challenge to Congress to "put up or shut up."

The news of the moratorium comes just a week after the service announced a plan that would slow down first-class mail, as the agency closes some 250 mail processing plants nationwide, which would eliminate 28,000 jobs.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: U.S. Postal Service
  1. gung hoe

Just send it to the prez he can find a few trillion in a dixie cup

December 13, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Gumption they need some

If they'd just stop the damn Saturday service and stop dragging their asses around they'd be back on their feet in no time!

December 13, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  3. rooney

The solution would be to do away with the government mandate to prepay their retirement.

December 13, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Scottish Mama

We have to look no further than the Bush Era law to mandate that postal workers pre pay for the pre funding of future postal workers healthcare. this law needs to be repealed as most of the Bush and Republican wars waged on the American workers.

December 13, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

If Congress would get rid of that stupid 75 year pre-pay retirement fund, I'll bet the USPS could get back into the game...

December 13, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

I guess great minds think alike, Scottish Mama and rooney.

Hi, Mama! Where ya been?

December 13, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. gung hoe

Ya like wow moms man thought ya left us

December 13, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mr. McGoo

The freaking postman cuts accross our yards. Get a grip, dude. Yer a freaking letter carrier living in a 300K house polishing your '65 GTO in the driveway every weekend. Shut-up and bring me my damn mail you twit.

December 13, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Guiffreya

Shut up and adjust your foil hat you moron. Seems. To be a little jealousy going on there, basement boy. Shut up and-just shut up.

December 13, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Scottish Mama

Hi Banasy and Hello gung hoe I guess maybe you will see I am a day late in my response and and a dollar short. I have been quite busy with family and friends. I think it has been about 3 weeks since I posted. Did not even have enough time to have withdrawl symptoms.lol I hope you both are having a cheerful Christmas season. I just put up the tree yesterday and the ornaments have to wait till the grandchild comes over. (She made me promise not to decorate till she comes over today) It has been raining and going up to 60 this week. So the Christmas spirit hasn't hit me yet with the no snow situation. It feels like fall still, without the colors. I hope you both are in good health and spirits.
    @Banasy remember the idea to buy american for the Christmas season. I have tried to keep to that. Boy is that a feat, I can not believe how much is not made, printed or has Made in America on it. Viet Nam and Guatamala have more things than America. I really have not shopped yet in earnst, just looking and "window shopping but not really stopping to buy." Yeah if you know that song, you are in trouble.lol

December 14, 2011 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  11. Scottish Mama

@ Banasy That is the one I was talking about, they need to repeal it and get the post office in the black again. I really do not know Bushs deal, everything he touched seemed to be lobbyist driven and ruined about everything he touched. The regular middle class working Jane never had a chance. He was the enemy of the states, middle class and society as we know it. Everything he passed never benefited the common man and woman.

December 14, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  12. Scottish Mama

Banasy you here?

December 14, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

@Scottish Mama:
    I haven't even begun to shop yet.
    I do know where a lot of my gifts *will* be coming from: Menard's. (A DIY place like Lowe's)
    They have made in the USA sales all the time; I kept the flyers, so I know which manufacturers are in the US instead of trying to read fine print on things.

As for Bush, he sucked.
    Sorry, gung hoe, but he did.

December 14, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |