December 14th, 2011

Alleged cyberplot points to Venezuela, Iran, documentary says

It's the type of plot that defense hawks in the United States warn about: a potential cyberattack against the U.S. government orchestrated by none other than Venezuela, Iran and Cuba, with the help of a group of Mexican leftists.

The U.S.-based Spanish-language network Univision recently aired an investigative documentary alleging that Venezuelan and Iranian diplomats were interested in an offer from a group of Mexican hackers to infiltrate the websites of the White House, FBI, Pentagon and U.S. nuclear sites.

But the hackers were university students recruited to do the dirty work who decided instead to document the evidence to disrupt the plot, the documentary reported.

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has called the report "lies." And one of the Iranian diplomats told Univision he indeed was presented with a hacking plot by the Mexican group but turned it down in part because he thought they were CIA agents.

The evidence that the plot was real, according to Univision, are secret recordings with diplomats who ask questions about what the hackers can do and promise to send information to their governments.

The United States said it did not know about the alleged plot but that it found the Univision allegations "very disturbing."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Cuba • Iran • Venezuela
  1. banasy©

@clearmind:
    Hello, sir.
    I hope you're doing well.

I have to agree with you; our Southern Border needs to be protected better.
    Another poster pointed that out a *long* time ago, and he was right about that.
    It would be very easy to pull off a masquerade at our southern border.

December 14, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. clearmind

@my dearest banasy I have off today went shopping for the children. What an experience my wife always did that, more respect for her!

December 14, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

@clearmind:
    You will be doing many new things...and you'll handle them beautifully.
    That's the kind of man you are.

December 14, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. clearmind

@Thank you for the kind words, I will tuck them away when the ground gets shaky the next couple of weeks.

December 14, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

Clearmind, my thoughts are with you, and better yet, your Sandy is with you, every step of the way. Keep the faith.

December 14, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Pete/Ark

sorry...thought this involved the news item...didn't me to step into the "I luv us"festival

December 14, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

@Pete/Ark
    Pardon *us* if we interrupted your thought to express concern between two froeinds you clearly don't know but felt the need to be snarky to.
    We await your opinion on this matters on pins and needles.
    Oh mighty one, what are your thoughts?

December 14, 2011 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. kyle

Don't worry about it pete, there's a group that treats this blog like their personal chat room. Honestly I think a lot of it has to do with a desire to be quoted when cnn posts the "overheard on cnn" posts. They will quickly deride you if you say anything about it as well (as you see).
    But anyways back to the topic of the blog: I certainly hope this country can realize how vulnerable our online systems are and invest as significant time, effort and resources to it as more tangible, physical security.

December 14, 2011 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. don

There is a group of loving people here who will deride people who deride them (as you can see). They never take potshots first. Remember that, kyle.

Anyway, I have to agree with Portland Tony...it all sounds like bs to me.

December 14, 2011 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. kyle

Just don't see why you guys don't use one of many great chat programs to "hang out" or chat about stuff not related to a news blog post. Makes sense to me I guess. I recommend mIRC, there are probably quite a few communities of people such as yourselves already online using it, although I wouldn't know, I mostly used it for chatting with other gamers. Perhaps pete could have been more polite but I agree it is kind of annoying to sort through unrelated posts to read related ones, especially if there is an on-topic "conversation" going on.

December 14, 2011 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

@ kyle, are you talking off topic?? Please say it isnt so? Easy to do isnt it?

December 15, 2011 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  12. chrissy

As for the topic at hand, makes ya kinda proud of those university students who chose to do the right thing. Restores your faith in humanity just a little bit.

December 15, 2011 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  13. kyle

Yeah chrissy I knew someone would say that to me too. In fact I thought about mentioning it. I'm trying to be polite. Just take a step back and read what I said without that weird predisposition that anyone who says anything about whoever is in your little group is insulting you, and you will see I make a good point. And yes it is good to see they decided to do the right thing although I am tempted to believe that was their intention the whole time (which would be just as if not more admirable).

December 15, 2011 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

@chrissy: lol

@kyle:
    We talk about the topics, and when we see each other, we talk to each other, too. It's very easy to skim over people's posts once one realises it's not on topic.
    There is no need to be rude to anyone, but when someone gives it to me, I will bloody well sure give it back, especially since the person I was talking to lost his wife through murder. You talk to your gamers; I'll talk to my friends here.
    And it is *not* to garner a spot on any "overheard" thread; that's just silly.
    There are some here who care.
    There are some here who don't.
    How about the twixt shall never meet?

December 15, 2011 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  15. kyle

Y'all usually have valuable contributions to the discussion but they are outweighed by the unrelated ones. Sorry for the double post.

December 15, 2011 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |