December 15th, 2011

Cheap moonshine kills 102 in India

Authorities raided liquor vendors in eastern India Thursday, after at least 102 people died and more than 170 others were sickened from drinking moonshine, police said.

At least 100 people were hospitalized.

The victims were mostly poor villagers.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: India • World
  1. krm1007

India is infested with so many people it reminds one of cattle. On top of that these hindus can't keep themselves out of such medieval and barbaric news and practices. First, $ex trafficking of young girls, then worship of rats, drinking of cow uR#ne and now this and the list goes on. We need to bring Indians into the modern world even though it may take centuries. But feel sorry for these people. RIP.

December 15, 2011 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
    • interwebs

typical close-minded bigot.

December 15, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I stated this earlier, but the position of this news item was changed, minimizing the visibility of my original comment.
    These deaths represent a sterling example of the importance of natural selection in evolution.
    Hail Darwin!

December 15, 2011 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  3. Portland tony

You know a lot of these barbaric customs were accepted practice right here in America some 70 years ago. Some of these emerging nations are just trying to catch up. As far as bad 'shine goes, we would just shoot the dude that cooked it and bury the dead.

December 15, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  4. hillbilly

im sorry that people lost there life i morn for their familys but this is why you buy your shine from someone that is known for making good shine.moonshine is a mutli million dollar industry in this country and will always be here.its in my family history from makin it and running it and ill be pround to carry that with me.

December 15, 2011 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
    • justathought

Albeit, we've all something proud in our heredity.

December 15, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

krm1007:

I have read some of your posts before, and you are perhaps one of the most Anti-Indian posters ever.
    That's fine, that's your choice, put it doesn't make me put much value in anything you say.

That being said, moonshine has been around forever, and bad batches have killed people before in many other countries; it's not an *Indian* thing, it's a *human* thing.

December 15, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  6. THE ONE AND ONLY DRAKOREX1

HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYBODY!;)

December 15, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  7. BOMBO

Yup. Cheap shine, prosteatution, and gambling. We'll never get rid of them. Nothing to do with India particularly, it's just where this incident happened.

December 15, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

Ty @ DRAK, sure trying to make it a happy one!

December 15, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

Um, it's Thursday, Drak, but I sure appreciate the enthusiasm!

December 15, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

lmao omg it sure is! Good thing ur on top of things today banasy. 🙂

December 15, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  11. THE ONE AND ONLY DRAKOREX1

@BANASY, THANKS, NOW I DONT HAVE TO GO TO THE DOCTORS TILL FRIDAY! COOL.

December 15, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

@chrissy:
    @Drak:

I *wish* it were Friday, lmao!
    You guys crack me up!

December 15, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Phil

It IS Friday - just not here in the United States. Won't be for another 12 hours from where I'm located.

December 15, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

Lol banasy, sometimes i crack me up too!

December 15, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  14. BOMBO

I thought it was Wednesday.

December 15, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  15. chrissy

woohoo we got us another gem! thank you Bombo, makes me feel not quite so incompetent anymore! lmao

December 15, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |