December 16th, 2011

Bonds sentenced to 30 days of house arrest; appeal pending

[Updated at 3:21 p.m. ET] Baseball legend Barry Bonds was sentenced Friday to 30 days of house arrest for an obstruction of justice conviction in connection with his 2003 testimony to a federal grand jury investigating pro athletes' illegal steroids use.

But the sentence, which also includes two years of probation and a $4,000 fine, will be put on hold pending an appeal.

The sentencing came in a San Francisco federal courtroom near the ballpark where he broke Hank Aaron's major league home run record in 2007. Federal prosecutors had wanted Bonds, 47, to serve 15 months in prison, according to a sentencing memo filed in court earlier this month.

Jurors who found Bonds guilty in April said he was evasive in his December 2003 testimony, which was part of the BALCO investigation that targeted employees of a California drug testing laboratory and Bonds' personal trainer Greg Anderson.

The testimony that led to Bonds' conviction came when a grand jury prosecutor asked him whether Anderson ever gave him "anything that required a syringe to inject yourself with."

Bonds told the grand jury that only his personal doctors "ever touch me," and he then veered off the subject to say he never talked baseball with Anderson. In closing arguments two weeks ago, a federal prosecutor said Bonds lied to the grand jury because he knew the truth about his steroids use would "tinge his accomplishments" and hurt his baseball career. Defense lawyers had argued that Bond' thought the creams and ointments Anderson was giving him were made of flaxseed oils.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Barry Bonds • Baseball • Sports
  1. Sirned

Spend tax payers money on convicting the bank thieves. We didn't just fall off a turnip truck and be will be distracted by a reality show hearing or trial. We want you to solve the economy lazy congress.

December 16, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. CANSECO

ITS ALL JOSE's FAULT

December 16, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. james

What a waste of time and money spent on persecuting Bonds. Some overzealous prosecutor has nothing better to do ??? What was the point of all this?

December 16, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Peave McQueen

They should have sentenced him to 30 days house arrest at Prozac's house. That would scare anyone straight.

December 16, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. wendy stewart

Barry Bonds record should not stand and he should be ruled ineligible to be considered for the baseball hall of fame. He is a cheat plain and simple. Pete Rose may have bet on his team but Barry Bonds used drugs to enhance his ability to cheat a record set by a truly gifted athlete.

December 16, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Hank Arron

Barry...What happened kid, how could you do this to your Baseball, why did you cheat and lie? I would have given my blessing from the grave if you would have played fairly...you cheated and ruined the American Baseball Leagues.
    God Bless You Barry Bonds, guess I will not be seeing you here in heaven, enjoy hell.

Hank Arron
    AMERICAN BASEBALL RECORD HOLDER

December 16, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. gung hoe

What a fool man what a slap on the wrist.If it been pete rose hed been in prison.Guess wrong skin color

December 16, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Elizabeth

That's it? 30 days for lies that derailed what could have been a major case. Of course, Bonds was only trying to do what he does best - promote himself at the cost of everyone else.

December 16, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Willie Mays

"When I'm not hitting, I don't hit nobody. But, when I'm hitting, I hit anybody." – Willie Mays
    Barry Bonds, why did you cheat us like that? We played Honest games and you stepped on our graves, lies and cheating don't make you the greatest. Why son?

Yours Truly,
    Willie Mays
    Record holder for most Home Runs in a single game.

December 16, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ted Williams

"He (Ted Williams) was the best pure hitter I ever saw. He was feared." – By Baseball Hall of Famer Joe DiMaggio
    "Barry Bonds, why did you do this Barry, you cheated Baseball and all the past players in the game. Don't you have a conscience...is it the money, the greed...how could you sell us out like that.
    Joe DiMaggio
    Record Holder in American Baseball

December 16, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mickey Mantle

"When he (Roger Maris) hit it (home run #61 in 1961), he came into the dugout and they were all applauding. I mean, this is something that's only happened once in baseball, right? And the people were all applauding. They wanted him to come back out. He wouldn't come out, so the players had to push him back out. They forced him to come out and take a bow. That's the kind of guy he was. He was great, and I really liked him." – Mickey Mantle

Hey Barry...take a bow...can you tell me why you cheated our heritage? American Baseball is based on our heros, not liars and cheater, why did you do it? Please come clean for the sake of the game. Please, I am calling from the grave.
    Mickey Mantle

December 16, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Gabby Hartnett

"Most catchers have to wear a mask because their so ugly, but I have to wear one because I'm so pretty." – Hall of Famer Gabby Hartnett in The Sporting News (April 1937)
    Please don't put this liar and cheater next to me in the Hall, I am too pretty to be messed up like that...Barry Bonds I been watching you, why did you do it, you ruined Our National Game, we enjoy the Honesty of the game and here you go and cheat America out of their Spirit for Baseball by using illegal drugs...what are my great grand kids going to think and the rest of America..Your a liar and cheater, give us back the game.

Gabby Hartnett
    American Baseball Player

December 16, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Alex Rodriguez

Hey Barry...good going, I'm behind you 100%...mums the word

A.R

December 16, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jimmie Foxx

"I was pitching one day when my glasses clouded up on me. I took them off to polish them. When I looked up to the plate, I saw Jimmie Foxx. The sight of him terrified me so much that I haven't been able to wear glasses since." – Left Gomez

Barry Bonds, so you want to change the game by becoming a liar and cheater, does not happen that way, you have to be Honest with the American Folks...American BASEBALL is ruined and I am turning in my grave. Cannot sleep, my spirit is gone, I really don't know how to say this but I just don't feel like a baseball hero anymore...why did you take this away from me. Baseball gives you plenty of enjoyment and self esteem...you did this for the money didn't you kid...well enjoy...by the way I hear you will be going to hell forever. Thank Bro

Jimmy Foxx
    American Baseball Player

December 16, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Babe Ruth

"The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest stars in the world, but if they don't play together, the club won't be worth a dime" – Babe Ruth

Baseball is not worth a dime because you cheated the spirit out of the game, lied and stole the very heart of the game. My I never see you in Heaven for this terrible thing you did...

Babe Ruth