December 16th, 2011

Bonds sentenced to 30 days of house arrest; appeal pending

[Updated at 3:21 p.m. ET] Baseball legend Barry Bonds was sentenced Friday to 30 days of house arrest for an obstruction of justice conviction in connection with his 2003 testimony to a federal grand jury investigating pro athletes' illegal steroids use.

But the sentence, which also includes two years of probation and a $4,000 fine, will be put on hold pending an appeal.

The sentencing came in a San Francisco federal courtroom near the ballpark where he broke Hank Aaron's major league home run record in 2007. Federal prosecutors had wanted Bonds, 47, to serve 15 months in prison, according to a sentencing memo filed in court earlier this month.

Jurors who found Bonds guilty in April said he was evasive in his December 2003 testimony, which was part of the BALCO investigation that targeted employees of a California drug testing laboratory and Bonds' personal trainer Greg Anderson.

The testimony that led to Bonds' conviction came when a grand jury prosecutor asked him whether Anderson ever gave him "anything that required a syringe to inject yourself with."

Bonds told the grand jury that only his personal doctors "ever touch me," and he then veered off the subject to say he never talked baseball with Anderson. In closing arguments two weeks ago, a federal prosecutor said Bonds lied to the grand jury because he knew the truth about his steroids use would "tinge his accomplishments" and hurt his baseball career. Defense lawyers had argued that Bond' thought the creams and ointments Anderson was giving him were made of flaxseed oils.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Barry Bonds • Baseball • Sports
  1. TY COBB

"He (Ty Cobb) was still fighting the Civil War, and as far as he was concerned we were all damn Yankees. But who knows, if he hadn't had that terrible persecution complex he never would've been about the best ballplayer who ever lived." – Sam Crawford

Hi all... was glad to see the American Baseball last so long, who's that fellow that lied and cheated the game...Barry Bonds..that's right, well let me tell you Barry, I fought in the Civil War, for your freedom, how could you do this to me, my name was remembered as an Honest fellow, I liked to bat the ball around was a good honest game until you ruined the spirit of America. Hope to see you go to hell for what you did.

Ty Cobb
    Proud American Baseball Player and Civil war fighter for FREEDOM

December 16, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Fairy Bonds

Only girly boy-men juice. Yeah you dough-boys turned juiced body builders. You will ALWAYS be dough boys. Bonds should have been sent to prison just for lying to Congress. His name should be erased from sports history along with Lance Armstrong, Mark McGuire, Sammy Sosa, etc etc etc. Just because it's now legal for meat and dairy farmers to use enhancing steroids and hormones to make their cattle (and US) fatter doesn't mean it's ok to cheat at sports.

December 16, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Braggo Roth

Well Barry Bonds, I played an Honest game in the early 1900s, Babe was around and a few other champions, but I just don't understand how you would think that cheating with drugs would put you in the same league as us? Don't like liars, and don't like cheats...you are both and you have taken it upon your self to ruin the whole spirit of baseball in America. This will be your remembrance in the books, not a great player, but the one who ripped the spirit out of the game.

Braggo Roth
    American Baseball Player

December 16, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Hank Greenberg

“When I was playing, I used to resent being singled out as a Jewish ballplayer. I wanted to be known as a great ballplayer, period. I’m not sure why or when I changed, because I’m still not a particularly religious person. Lately, though, I find myself wanting to be remembered not only as a great ballplayer, but even more as a great Jewish ballplayer.” – Hank Greenberg

Barry Bonds will never be a great baseball player, he will be remembered as the one who destroyed The American Game, you sorry sob.

Hank Greenberg
    American Baseball Player

December 16, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mickey Mantle

"During my 18 years I came to bat almost 10,000 times. I struck out about 1,700 times and walked maybe 1,800 times. You figure a ballplayer will average about 500 at-bats a season. That means I played 7 years without ever hitting the ball." – Mickey Mantle

My record don't mean a dam thing now, the spirit of the game is ruined by a liar and cheat, Barry Bonds rot in hell.

Mickey Mantle

December 16, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. chris-SF

Why hasn't the government gone after the MLB execs who condoned all of the steroid use by players on company property?

December 16, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Roger Hornsby

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do, I stare out the window and wait for spring." – Rogers Hornsby

Guess the only thing I can say is, when you look out the window, look for the American Baseball Spirit passing away. Thanks Barry Bonds for nothing.

Roger Hornsby
    American Baseball Player

December 16, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chris-SF

About all MLB can do now is to erase all records by steroid users. That's the only fair thing to do and it's dtill not fair to the clean players who lost a roster spot on a mlb team because to a steroid player.

December 16, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. CAPITAL "J" Joe-FS

@Chris-SF. Congress made it legal for meat and dairy ranchers to begin using what had always been illegal steroids and hormones back in 1994. Major League Baseball's head MD pointed this out to congress back when Bonds was being questioned. He was told to stfu. According to law cases, it's perfectly legal for anuy pro sports association to throw games, allow drug use like the NHL, etc. And face it. Your avg. American wants more entertainment even if it means cheating sportsmen, more blood, more injury, more death. If you didn't want it, they couldn't even sell it to you.

December 16, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Hall of Fame

"To the pioneers who were the moving spirits of the game in its infancy and to the players who have been elected to the Hall of Fame, we pay just tribute. But I should like to dedicate this museum to all America." – Kenesaw Landis on July 12, 1939

To Barry Bonds,
    May we never see your face in the Hall of Fame...your a disgrace to The Great American Society. You have tore the heart out of The American Baseball Image and will be remember as the individual that cheated, used drugs, and lied. Enjoy the spoils of your corrupt adventure on the backs of the fallen players that only wanted to create an Honest Game for America, that is what its all about, not seeing the greed and painful minutes watching you lie and destroy the Spirit of the game in the Hearts of All Americans. You will be remembered as the Spirit Taker of American Baseball. May we never be forced to pay tribute to your name again.

Bill C

December 16, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. aka

Who cares!!! Look at Captain America. Why spend my tax dollars on such a stupid trial?? These are athletes. Hell I'd like to see a roid out team go toe-to-toe. Who cares about the side effects,apparently they don't. So juice it up, continue to break records, continue to oohh and awe us on the field or whatever sports platform you perform on.

December 16, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bill

they need to put the federal gov. in jail

December 16, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

So Barry Bonds was convicted of lying to Congress?
    Big deal.
    Congress lies all the time...under oath, while breaking the oaths they took to get into Congress.
    Lock *them* up for selling the American people to the highest bidder whilst wasting time and money pursuing things that do not impact the average American one whit.

December 16, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  14. G.O.D.

Go crawl back under your rock.

December 16, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |