December 19th, 2011

Reid won't reopen negotiations until House passes payroll extension

[Updated at 12:20 p.m. ET] Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, said Monday he will not agree to reopen negotiations with House leaders on the payroll tax cut until the House passes the two-month extension already approved by the Senate.

[Posted at 10:40 a.m. ET] Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, said Monday morning he expects the House of Representatives to reject the Senate's two-month extension of the payroll tax cut.

Boehner also said he expects the House to pass legislation reinforcing the need for a one-year extension, and wants the matter to be taken up by a House-Senate conference committee.

"We oppose the Senate bill because doing the two month extension instead of a full year extension causes uncertainty for job creators," he said. "I used to run a small business. I met a payroll. I hired workers. A two month extension creates uncertainty and will cause problems for people who are trying to create jobs in the private sector."

"The idea that tax policy can be done two months at a time is a kind of activity we see here in Washington that's really put our economy off its tracks."

The Republican-controlled House of Representatives is expected to vote Monday evening on a short-term extension of the popular payroll tax cut, but the measure is facing fierce resistance from conservatives upset with both the temporary nature of the bill and its impact on funding for Social Security.

How it affects you | How it's paid for

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Economy • John Boehner • Politics
  1. gung hoe

@banasy easy lady remember whatcha told me yesterday about posting mad.@jif Its really not a matter of who played dirty first as it is whats good for the economic health of the country

December 19, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Thank you for explaining gung hoe, and hello.
    Oh.
    Well, I don't want to pay any more taxes.
    Now where is my little collection of ivory elephant carvings...

December 19, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. ajjr

It is amazing how quick the republicans can agree, at the drop of a hat, to extend the tax cuts for those who don't need it,and many don't want it, but refuse to help the working class that do need it badly.

December 19, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. chrissy

@ gung hoe, w-t-f??? @ ladies and chrissie??? and dont say you were *kidding* cuz im not ammused!!

December 19, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bob

So what ? We need to pay far more taxes then we do from our poor to the super rich. What is wrong with American's today – weeping about paying a few more dollars to our Government – and may I say the best in the world. We need to feed the worlds poor and protect the weak regardless of a tax burden, we hvee caused all the problems the world is facing today and need to face up to our responsibilities. Our motto should be to give till it hurts both to our government and the peoples of the world. We can learn to live on a lot less food, cars and large homes. Give and Give till it really hurts. Without saying this only applies to non government employees and politicians. Call your senators and congressmen and ask to have your taxes raised in the spirit of making the world a better place for everyone outside of America – we own it to them!!!!!!

December 19, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

@gung hoe:
    Ironic, since it was your comment that pist me off.

December 19, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. chrissy

@ banasy, i believe our *friend* is on a mission today, to do JUST that!

December 19, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Bob:
    Thank you. I cannot tell you how you moved me.
    As a result of your 2:36 post, and in the spirit of Christmas, I have decided to sell our two gas-guzzling European cars and replace them with the smallest Chevrolet models I can find at a used-car lot.
    I intend to find no tax loopholes in the future and to add a little extra in my tax return every year for the poor, to be doled out as the government deems appropriate.
    I really want to suffer with the rest of the world.
    I also intend to work much more intensely every day, so I can earn more money to support those who are poor.

December 19, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

@JIF:
    Do you need to have the tongue from your cheek surgically removed, dear heart?

December 19, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

banasy,
    It's stuck there, in spasm. I'll take one of little PRN pills.

December 19, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

@chrissy:
    I'm sure it's not intentional. Lmao!

December 19, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

@JIF:
    Good.
    You had me worried.

December 19, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

lmfao @ Joey, really?? You need to slow youre roll on the *work more* thing! Hope that was grammatically correct and not too *country bumpkinish*??? roflmmfao

December 19, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

Naughty chrissy!

December 19, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy©

I so dearly adore smart people.

banasy© out.