December 19th, 2011

Reid won't reopen negotiations until House passes payroll extension

[Updated at 12:20 p.m. ET] Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, said Monday he will not agree to reopen negotiations with House leaders on the payroll tax cut until the House passes the two-month extension already approved by the Senate.

[Posted at 10:40 a.m. ET] Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, said Monday morning he expects the House of Representatives to reject the Senate's two-month extension of the payroll tax cut.

Boehner also said he expects the House to pass legislation reinforcing the need for a one-year extension, and wants the matter to be taken up by a House-Senate conference committee.

"We oppose the Senate bill because doing the two month extension instead of a full year extension causes uncertainty for job creators," he said. "I used to run a small business. I met a payroll. I hired workers. A two month extension creates uncertainty and will cause problems for people who are trying to create jobs in the private sector."

"The idea that tax policy can be done two months at a time is a kind of activity we see here in Washington that's really put our economy off its tracks."

The Republican-controlled House of Representatives is expected to vote Monday evening on a short-term extension of the popular payroll tax cut, but the measure is facing fierce resistance from conservatives upset with both the temporary nature of the bill and its impact on funding for Social Security.

How it affects you | How it's paid for

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Economy • John Boehner • Politics
  1. chrissy

Naughty? Hows that? Dont tell me i mis-spelled something??? Damn! And i was trying so hard too! Crap!

December 19, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ chrissy,
    You won't qualify for "country" until you actually prefer cold biscuits and corn bread to their right-out-of-the-oven state (with butter), and crumble cold corn bread into a glass of milk and pretend that you've made supper.
    These are affectations of my Scrooge of a father, who was always uncomfortable because he had accidentally married way up.

December 19, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

@chrismiss: ūüėČ

@JIF:
    Your father was DEEP country, wasn't he?

December 19, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. chrissy

lol @ Joey, i adore warm biscuits, not big on cornbread, and never had biscuits and gravy til i went to BOB EVANS 8 years ago! But it was yummy!

December 19, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

Did biscuits and gravy originate in the South?
    I really don't know, since they're on every damn menu I have ever seen in every damn diner/dive I've been in.

December 19, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ banasy:
    Yes, he was seriously country. Hick.
    Yes, I hated him a lot. Still do.
    I was running around the (USA) country playing classical music on the piano when I was in public school.
    One night he got out a cheap transistor radio, put it on the kitchen table tuned to some nasal Aw-Haw whining with guitars, put his head in his hands, and stared at the little radio as if it were a piece of the True Cross.
    Sophisticated talent doesn't go over well in a setting as Country as my father brought to that aristocratic family.
    However, if you need somebody to pick a redneck out of a lineup, then I'm your expert witness.

December 19, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

A fantastic Southern dish is chicken and dumplings, if well made.
    If you serve me that, I turn right into Bubba.

December 19, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

First time I ever saw biscuits and gravy, I was a bit...(Ahem)...hungover.
    It looked like birdsh!t on biscuits, and I'm like, "Nope. Not today"...

December 19, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

@JIF:
    Truly you were not your father's child, thankfully for the rest of the world.

My being Hungarian, my chicken and dumplings is really Chicken Paprikas, which I do made exceptionally well.
    I've always wanted the Southern version, but have never come across a recipe that tasted very well...help?

December 19, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

As a good ol' boy born and raised in Mississippi, let me tell you what I do with biscuits and gravy: I eat the biscuits without any gravy, and not many biscuits.
    GRITS, however, with a lot of butter–
    Well, that does it. I'm moving back there. To Natchez, where my family used to have a house that we don't own anymore, but it still has the same name. (It's not one of the biggest houses.)
    Naw.
    I prefer escargots to grits.

December 19, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ banasy,
    Sorry. I didn't learn to make dumplings, and actually my mother and grandmother didn't prepare them very well either.
    The only thing I learned to make–besides bachelor necessities–was a mean gumbo. It's more an ordeal and an instinct than a recipe.
    I'd probably prefer Hungarian chicken. I use paprika almost every time I cook.
    And no, I came out of a glass jar, not from that country hick.

December 19, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  12. chrissy

lol well if our congress and senate have their way you will soon have to eat chicken and dumplings, minus the chicken! Yuk! Too doughy for me!

December 19, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ chrissy,
    Then Congress would make my doctors very happy.
    I've had to give up my almost-all-protein diet. Now my blood levels are normal.

December 19, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  14. okosun

It is time for the President and the Democrats to take gloves off with the DO NOTHING and ANTI AMERICAN GOP members of congress.ENOUGH OF THE MINDLESS compromise.

December 19, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. okosun

Talk of FAILURE OF LEADERSHIP, Mr "ORANGE FACE" speaker John Boehner is a total disgrace and has woefully failed as a competent leader.Speaker Boehner and the GOP members of congress are holding the American people and the American economy hostage since they became majority in the House.They should not be spared a shellacking come 2012 elections. Al QUEDA has nothing on the GOP's hatred for America.

December 19, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |